ADVERTISEMENT

The Fall of 1978

In the fall of 78 Indiana played Nebraska on national television. Note that in 78 there were only three network channels making our appearance a very big deal. Nebraska embarrassed us scoring 28 points very quickly and toasting us to the tune of about 40. I want payback now.
I remember that game. Seems like Nebraska was ahead by 60 some points when IU put a freshman QB in named Tim Clifford and he scored 14 quick points on them. Of course it was probably against their second unit but it was a promise of what Tim could do in the future.

I was at IU as a frosh in the fall of 82 and what I first heard about football from students, was some were still angry over Corso quick kicking at home against USC previous year. lol (I don't know, I wasn't at that year's game.) Dark times for Indiana football. I followed them closely as a teenager prior years, but don't recall that Nebraska 78 game. Probably listened on radio.

Funny that I've sort of pulled for Nebraska football since they lost their dominance. Seemed like an OK crowd.

Not this year! Go Hoosiers!

Last edited:
I was at IU in the fall of 82 and all I heard about football was students still angry over Corso quick kicking at home against USC when fans felt that was not the play. (I don't know, I wasn't at that year's game.)
Dark times for Indiana football.

Funny that I've sort of pulled for Nebraska football since they lost their dominance. Seemed like an OK crowd.

Not this year! Go Hoosiers!
I wore my "Quick Kick Corso" paper sack with pride that last game. That being said, Lee had a much tougher out of conference schedule in those days, USC (2), LSU, Colorado, Syracuse, Washington, Nebraska (2), Kentucky, no MAC schools and definitely no now FCS schools.

In the fall of 78 Indiana played Nebraska on national television. Note that in 78 there were only three network channels making our appearance a very big deal. Nebraska embarrassed us scoring 28 points very quickly and toasting us to the tune of about 40. I want payback now.
I think I remember that game, If memory serves, I. M. Hipp jumped over the IU D-line
and went for the TD, not a good day. Hoping we can return the favor.

When I first got out of the Marines and coaching at BHS I got a hold of the IU v Nebraska film. I had to rewind the film several times to see if what I saw was true. I saw Nebraska's center reach IU's DT [IU ran a 5-2 with DT over the OT] and block him off the LOS. The speed and athletic ability of the linemen were unbelievable.

I remember sitting through that whole game in the rain. the one thing I remember is Tim Clifford got playing time in the 4th quarter and threw a Touchdown pass in the final minute to provide our final points. Without looking, I believe the final score was something like 69-17.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT