ADVERTISEMENT

The Eclipse Thread

UncleMark

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2001
Might as well get something going here.

As you all know, Bton is in the path of totality. They claim that up to 300K people could descend on the area on Monday. Police and emergency planners are on high alert. The town is expected to be gridlocked. A number of businesses are closing, and many or most are planning on reduced staffing.

Weather looks like it's going to be sketchy, currently calling for scattered clouds.

IU is having a big event in Memorial Stadium, featuring Bill Shatner and a couple of other people who I have no clue who they are.

Me, I am taking the day off, and will cruise around town in the later morning or early afternoon just to take in the chaos. I hope to be home in my yard in a lawn chain when the eclipse begins around 1:30, with totality due around 3:00.

So what are your plans?

(Oh, and Randall Munroe has been having fun the last few days days):

eclipse_coolness.png

eclipse_clouds.png

As you all know, Bton is in the path of totality. They claim that up to 300K people could descend on the area on Monday. Police and emergency planners are on high alert. The town is expected to be gridlocked. A number of businesses are closing, and many or most are planning on reduced staffing.

Weather looks like it's going to be sketchy, currently calling for scattered clouds.

IU is having a big event in Memorial Stadium, featuring Bill Shatner and a couple of other people who I have no clue who they are.

Me, I am taking the day off, and will cruise around town in the later morning or early afternoon just to take in the chaos. I hope to be home in my yard in a lawn chain when the eclipse begins around 1:30, with totality due around 3:00.

So what are your plans?

eclipse_coolness.png

eclipse_clouds.png
My minion’s birthday. Figures. Daughter just said it’s supposed to last four minutes

300,000 people. Mercy. That’s unreal

So what are your plans?

eclipse_coolness.png

eclipse_clouds.png
I’ll be trying to get to work without killing some idiot

I’m actually coming to Bloomington for it. I have tickets for the Memorial Stadium but may just watch it on Jordan . I’m coming Sunday and not planning on going anywhere I can’t walk until Tuesday.

Reactions: UncleMark

So what are your plans?

eclipse_coolness.png

eclipse_clouds.png
The others at the stadium are Mae Jamison, she was an astronaut, and Janelle Monae. I know nothing about the second one, Jamison I saw at a conference a couple years ago and she gave a great talk. Oh, and she was on ST:TNG.

We think we are going to Switchyard where there is a Pink Floyd cover band.

And we have our moon pies so we can hold them up and have our own eclipse.

Reactions: larsIU

So what are your plans?

eclipse_coolness.png

eclipse_clouds.png

I already watched the AI generated version so the real thing can only be a letdown after that. May watch the Mama's Family marathon instead.

The others at the stadium are Mae Jamison, she was an astronaut, and Janelle Monae. I know nothing about the second one, Jamison I saw at a conference a couple years ago and she gave a great talk. Oh, and she was on ST:TNG.

We think we are going to Switchyard where there is a Pink Floyd cover band.

And we have our moon pies so we can hold them up and have our own eclipse.
Janelle Monae is a singer and an actress.

My plan is to miss it all, under general anesthesia, getting a new knee.

Might be awake and with it for the championship game though.

Last edited:
My plan is to miss it all, under general anesthesia, getting a new knee.

Might be awake and with it for the championship game though.
Good luck with that. A buddy of mine had that done and it still really bothers him after 9 months. However my father-in -law had both knees done and didn't struggle at all.

I'll just watch the sun rise in the morning. Much more interesting. My wife gets caught up in the hoopla, though. Probably should take her out to eat or something.

So what are your plans?

eclipse_coolness.png

eclipse_clouds.png
How many gummies?

• Haha
I’m working but they’re providing eclipse glasses and giving us 30 minutes to go outside and watch it.

They were going to give us all moon pies(get it?) but they apparently couldn’t round enough of them up so they settled on giving us eclipse gum.

/sadface

• Haha
I’m working but they’re providing eclipse glasses and giving us 30 minutes to go outside and watch it.

They were going to give us all moon pies(get it?) but they apparently couldn’t round enough of them up so they settled on giving us eclipse gum.

/sadface

We had a meeting on Friday where one of the guys at work brought up the fact a bunch of guys will be out delivering when the eclipse happens.

I'm sure half of them will be dumb enough to look at it without any eye protection.

Last edited:
My minion’s birthday. Figures. Daughter just said it’s supposed to last four minutes

300,000 people. Mercy. That’s unreal
Do you have minion duty during the eclipse? You’d better keep him inside. I see him pulling a Trump and staring right at it.

Bloomington folks are you seeing a spike in traffic yet?

It was surprisingly quiet late this morning when I was out and about. Haven't left the house since early this afternoon.
K good. I’m coming down tomorrow afternoon. Figure shouldn’t be too bad yet. I’m trying to decide what to do. The parties on Jordan I imagine will be epic. And drunk students looking up too… they might need locked in the basement also

A person in IU's Friday tech team meeting has been involved with the arrangements for the event at the stadium. He said that he has been in Zoom meetings where Shatner was in and that Shatner has been incredibly excited about being a part of this.

Bloomington folks are you seeing a spike in traffic yet?

It was surprisingly quiet late this morning when I was out and about. Haven't left the house since early this afternoon.

Not me. But I have only been on the west and south sides.

Still remarkably calm and quiet. Looks like if we're going to have a huge turnout, they're all going to be coming in later today or in the morning. I have a suspicion it's not going to be nearly as chaotic as they had anticipated. The weather might keep some away, but the reports are looking reasonably promising.

Still remarkably calm and quiet. Looks like if we're going to have a huge turnout, they're all going to be coming in later today or in the morning. I have a suspicion it's not going to be nearly as chaotic as they had anticipated. The weather might keep some away, but the reports are looking reasonably promising.

Friends came down from Indy to game last night, said Indy traffic was terrible but 69 was good.

They had trouble selling tickets to the big event at the stadium I surmise since they started giving tickets to students. Maybe the protections of a traffic apoc-eclypse scared people away. But the hotels and Airbnb are filled.

Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT