ADVERTISEMENT

The curse of mediocrity.

He made the final of the NCAA and that is more than Archie, Crean, Sampson, etc have ever did at IU . I get some people just hated Davis with a passion I remember the posts but the fact is he had some success. I laugh when people think some of us are being harsh on Woodson or were being harsh on Archie before his mandatory IU three year honeymoon was over. The hate that was on these forums toward Mike Davis was like nothing I have ever seen towards any other coach since him. Even after he made the final game people continued to trash him day in and out. Archie got off very mild compared to how Davis was treated.
Totally agree

My worst fears about Woodson and this team have been realized. Simply put, we just do not have enough talent to be better than mediocre in the Big Ten. And yes, I include Trace Jackson Davis in that assessment as he still has no outside shot, still cannot shoot free throws and disappears in crunch time much like he did yesterday. Leal and Lander are jokes and Xavier is selfish, and has no shot along with being a bit of a thug. You don't ever hit a guy in the groin like he did yesterday. Kopp and Stewart never make a shot if they are guarded and rarely make one if they are open. I would start Geronimo and Bates who seem to have some heart and some potential. I think Woodson is in over his head. but no he does not deserve firing. I also sense his total frustration as nobody on the team is improving. Compound that with the reality that plays after times out never work and we fall apart at crunch times in winnable games. And worst of all is that no help is coming. Woodson is 63 and is used to coaching NBA guys with tons of talent. He doesn't have that at IU where he is expected to recruit and improve his players. Who has improved this year? I ask the board again to assess where we might be had we not fired Mike Davis. I would rather have Davis, a national championship game, Bracey Wright, Marshall Strickland and DJ White instead of Kelvin Sampson, Dan Dakich, Tom Crean. Archie Miller, Romeo, Langford, Leal, and Lander. Woodson is a victim here and has no chance since we have fallen too far to ever get up again.

Good grief. Yea, MD has just set the NCAA on fire since he was fired by IU! Is he still hiding in his basement somewhere?
Nice guy but even by his own words - In over his head.
As someone else said, what a bunch of revisionist BS you and GoIU are spouting.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Yes I think we could of had Beilein instead of Sampson. And the fact Freddy only looked at Archie and did not even interview anyone else is just mind boggling to me. But then again with Fred Glass in charge of hiring a coach you just knew he would mess it up. Freddy did a tremendous amount of damage to the IU bbal program starting with the ridiculous extension he gave Crean which probably bought him two extra years at IU. And of course Freddy bolted before Archie had to be fired. People talk about damage done to the program but Fred did as much damage as anyone. He probably cost us six years we need to recover from.

And you KNOW for a FACT that he didn't interview anyone else?

The extension was a mistake and I would bet FG would admit as much but stop with the revisionist history with AM. AM was widely hailed as the best hire of the year by EVERY basketball person I heard or article I read.
In hindsight, it was not a good hire but NO ONE was talking then that it was a bad hire. The #1 hire in list after list. OSU fans were pissed because that is who they wanted.

And you KNOW for a FACT that he didn't interview anyone else?

The extension was a mistake and I would bet FG would admit as much but stop with the revisionist history with AM. AM was widely hailed as the best hire of the year by EVERY basketball person I heard or article I read.
In hindsight, it was not a good hire but NO ONE was talking then that it was a bad hire. The #1 hire in list after list. OSU fans were pissed because that is who they wanted.
Take it easy Mr. Glass.

Good grief. Yea, MD has just set the NCAA on fire since he was fired by IU! Is he still hiding in his basement somewhere?
Nice guy but even by his own words - In over his head.
As someone else said, what a bunch of revisionist BS you and GoIU are spouting.
No revisions at all. He did basically the same as Bobby did during Bobby's last five years, brought in great kids who stayed out of trouble, got to the final game, was 19-12 his last year and was hired and taught by Bobby and has made 5 tournaments since he left. Compare that to what we have done since he left. I would take him 100% of the time and I have said that since he left.

No revisions at all. He did basically the same as Bobby did during Bobby's last five years, brought in great kids who stayed out of trouble, got to the final game, was 19-12 his last year and was hired and taught by Bobby and has made 5 tournaments since he left. Compare that to what we have done since he left. I would take him 100% of the time and I have said that since he left.
The program was heading south. His utiliza of Bracey wasn’t good

We were going nowhere with Davis at the helm. He should have been let go, without regard to the administration's incompetent personnel decisions thereafter.

That's great that you would take him. The demand for his services is so great, I doubt if we could afford him or lure him away from, who is it now, Detroit?

He had a overall win % at IU of .593.
A touch better at UAB - .626.
At the power house of TS - .564.
And currently at DM - .382.

That just SCREAMS power five conference head coach material!!
Why isn't he being snapped up by UNC or UCLA? I know, he is waiting for Duke to call and realize the mistake they made in replacing Mike.

Good grief.

We were going nowhere with Davis at the helm. He should have been let go, without regard to the administration's incompetent personnel decisions thereafter.
We have gone nowhere with others at the helm since then. That sort of about-face in expectations from the RMK era was never going to be accepted, but it was forced upon us anyway. Given that, I guess there'a an argument that we wouldn't be much worse off if we had just kept Davis instead of Sampson-(Dakich)-Crean-Archie.

We have gone nowhere with others at the helm since then. That sort of about-face in expectations from the RMK era was never going to be accepted, but it was forced upon us anyway. Given that, I guess there'a an argument that we wouldn't be much worse off if we had just kept Davis instead of Sampson-(Dakich)-Crean-Archie.
With the benefit of hindsight, probably not much better off. Let's just hope that Woodson can carry us to the promised land.

People most responsible for us becoming completely irrelevant:
1. Tom Crean
2. Tom Crean cult members
3. Fred Glass
4. Archie Miller
You forgot Donniger, Brand and to be fair BK. Whole situation was a s show...

Reactions: go_iu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT