ADVERTISEMENT

The condone/punish Conundrum

markmdill

Sophomore
Oct 12, 2012
Everyone has their own ethics and opinions, and sometimes they conflict.

I believe underage college kids should be allowed to drink and smoke, as long as it's in balance. When I extend my personal belief to IU basketball, I still feel the same. I know lots of athletes, at all levels, and some of the most successful have active social lives that include doing things some states deem illegal. So I am sure, 100%, that reasonable use of alcohol and pot does not prevent an athlete from being a good person, good student, or a good athlete. I also know that abuse can wreck it all. And I know that abuse happens a lot, that these things are addictive and cause more trouble than they are worth.

Sure, I want our athletes to be better than me. Just do all the right things, 'earn the right to wear Indiana across their chest'. But if you have ever been fortunate to actually know players personally, you will know that they are wired the same as most of us. They aren't saints, nor devils . They struggle with perfection, and like to have fun.

Yet, it's also true that I believe in team rules. And I believe in the law. And, when I read that a kid is found drinking or smoking that there is a suspension, I agree. Yet I also condone it. That is why its a conundrum. There is no easy answer here. Too many posters make it out to be so simple. As if these aren't people, just idols that have lost their way. "Toss 'em!"

I know for many of you this is easy, black and white. For me, it's not so easy. Personally, I'd have preferred a 8-10 game suspension. Another chance.

I'm very sorry these two kids, who I personally think are on the right path, have to be caught up in this conundrum and have to be judged. Because we really don't have any good, consistent, answer on this topic.

Btw, that article in the indystar sounded like a poster rant, linking this to Scholorships and freeing up a slot is just going to play into the conspiracy theorists hand. Even suggesting IU would do this to get another player is out of bounds. Might have well have said that CTC sold Davis the pot.

sad day for IU, even worse for two kids. I wish them the best.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News