ADVERTISEMENT

The Colts managed to out-dumb the Detroit Lions. Do you know how hard that is?

HA2740

All-Big Ten
Oct 3, 2012
The Lions did what the Lions always do: miss an extra-point, give up a game-tying TD, and then on the go-ahead XP pick up a 15 yard penalty for leaping.

You could have told any Lions fan in the world, this is how they would lose the game, and they would reply, 'Yeah, that makes sense."

But not to be outdone, what does Indy do? Instead of using the gift of kicking off from the 50 to have our punter pooch the kick high and inside the 10 forcing the clock to run on an easy coverage, he practices making field goals and gives Detroit the ball at the 25 with no time running.

I swear the only thing this franchise is competent to do well is have shitty years right before good draft classes. That's it.

The Lions did what the Lions always do: miss an extra-point, give up a game-tying TD, and then on the go-ahead XP pick up a 15 yard penalty for leaping.

You could have told any Lions fan in the world, this is how they would lose the game, and they would reply, 'Yeah, that makes sense."

But not to be outdone, what does Indy do? Instead of using the gift of kicking off from the 50 to have our punter pooch the kick high and inside the 10 forcing the clock to run on an easy coverage, he practices making field goals and gives Detroit the ball at the 25 with no time running.

I swear the only thing this franchise is competent to do well is have shitty years right before good draft classes. That's it.

Eh.....if you've watched Colts kick coverage for the last uh, ever.....I would have called the same. Lions had 3 TOs, so a handful of seconds gained wouldn't matter.

Colts lost the game by playing a dreadful 1st half, which is par for the course.

Chuck strong baby. Calling that timeout at 1:15 was a stroke of genius. Losing today sucks but fear not this guy knows exactly what he's doing.

385 yds, 4TD/0INT should win you a damn game in the NFL, particularly at home.

The defense had maybe 2 good series...the rest were atrocious.

Reactions: IUFANPUBUDAD

That was bad enough, but if the Colts could have tackled anyone in the last two drives by the Lions the Colts would have won comfortably.

I thought I was watching Darren Sproles run past incompetent Colts tacklers again, but it was just Abdullah and Riddick.

I'm going to suspend judgment....the defensive injury list right now is ridiculous. 3/4 secondary starters not playing. They, started a rookie and f'n Cromartie. Saw some good things from some young players.

Most important, saw the Andrew Luck of the first few years, and not the Luck of last year.

It's a long year. If things are still like this in week 8, then we can burn it all down.

I'm going to suspend judgment....the defensive injury list right now is ridiculous. 3/4 secondary starters not playing. They, started a rookie and f'n Cromartie. Saw some good things from some young players.

Most important, saw the Andrew Luck of the first few years, and not the Luck of last year.

It's a long year. If things are still like this in week 8, then we can burn it all down.
We should compliment Hilton, Dorsett, Doyle and Moncrief, who were outstanding.

Luck was an idiot to sign back up for this mess. That was a 6 win team that ran up and down the field. My gosh, someone will put 50 up on them.

Luck was an idiot to sign back up for this mess. That was a 6 win team that ran up and down the field. My gosh, someone will put 50 up on them.
I agree. I was critical of the Colts after a pitiful preseason game and someone blasted me saying "It's only a preseason game." Well, I told it right.

Reactions: whobop

I thought a high kick that would be fair caught was the best play for the kick off. With a short field and enough height, the returner would have to catch the ball with Colts surrounding him. The risk for a return would have been low. I assume that is a type of kick off kickers practice.

The time out on the last drive puzzled me. I suppose the thought was that they wanted time to get the best play called, but it prevented Detroit from using one of their 3. It could have changed the play calling for Detroit with one fewer timeouts left.

Another gripe was the bad spot on the first or second Detroit touchdown drives. The catch was made a yard or more short of the 1st down. Pagano was standing right in front of where it happened and would have been a good use of the red flag to review the call. A reversal would have forced a 4th and short and a likely punt. Instead, they were awarded a 1st down and scored soon after. Meanwhile, Pagano wasted the red flag shortly after on a play that looked to be pretty clear and lost a timeout.

I thought Grigson was the problem. I still think he sucks, but the preparation of the team and decisions during the game have moved me to the side of Pagano needing to go as well.

After watching Cam Newton get beaten up against Denver, I kind of hope Luck has the flu for the next game. The line did seem to do better in the second half, but another bad performance could get Luck hurt.

It is hard to out dumb Jim Caldwell... I love betting against the Lions ..he never seems to have a clue what is going on.. maybe its just his demeanor or lack of emotion but seems clueless

Oh and how does Bob Lamey keep his job? That guys is so, so awful. Colts can't even get that part right.

Yeah, I'm not complaining about the defense, even the last drive giving up 50 yards in 30 seconds. Given they were down to 5 available defensive backs, including Cromartie who injured his back earlier, I can give them a pass on that.

But injuries and youth have nothing to do with a coaching staff's lack of time management and situational awareness. We already know the Colts have the handicap of a GM who is best (well, least damaging) if he's not allowed to make his own decisions. They don't need to equal that organizational stupidity on the sideline.

I will say in fairness, lack of clock management seems to be everywhere. Last night, Belichick inexplicably let about 15 or 20 seconds roll off the clock before calling a timeout on Arizona's FG attempt. It was moot because of the miss, but that could've hurt them if they had to get the ball back down the field after a make.

Yeah, I'm not complaining about the defense, even the last drive giving up 50 yards in 30 seconds. Given they were down to 5 available defensive backs, including Cromartie who injured his back earlier, I can give them a pass on that.

But injuries and youth have nothing to do with a coaching staff's lack of time management and situational awareness. We already know the Colts have the handicap of a GM who is best (well, least damaging) if he's not allowed to make his own decisions. They don't need to equal that organizational stupidity on the sideline.

I will say in fairness, lack of clock management seems to be everywhere. Last night, Belichick inexplicably let about 15 or 20 seconds roll off the clock before calling a timeout on Arizona's FG attempt. It was moot because of the miss, but that could've hurt them if they had to get the ball back down the field after a make.

I was more bothered by the timeout they took with 1:15 left. That didn't make sense at all to me.

Reactions: IU40IU
I was more bothered by the timeout they took with 1:15 left. That didn't make sense at all to me.

Yeah, I was so pissed about McAfee's kick that I momentarily forgot about that until dmbhoosier posted it, but that was in fact worse. Did anyone post-game bother to get an answer from him on that?

It did seem very strange at the time, but the fact that it was 4th down & Arizona had no timeouts left played a huge role. I am pretty sure that BB wanted to see if AZ was going to be rushed / have trouble getting their FG unit on the field. They likely expected NE to take a TO and might have not been sharp. When it was clear that they were not going to have an issue getting set up properly, though, then Belichick called a TO. He tries to take advantage of chaos/indecision on part of the other team. To the credit of Bruce Ariens, the Cards were ready.

I wonder if Arizona regrets not investing a draft pick in a long snapper or laying out the money for a skilled vet. People, sometimes including Patriots fans, give Belichick grief for drafting special teams-only players, such as gunners, long snappers, wedge blockers, etc., in rounds 4-7 of the draft. But year after year their investments in that forgotten 3rd phase of the game pays off. Year after year their opponents neglect in making such investments in special teams also pays off.

lol:

CsH78V-UMAA6LDO.jpg

Last edited:

Happened right in front of me. I think they took it because Hilton was hurting after the catch on the previous play.

Panthers clock mgt sucked vs Denver too last Thursday. I tell you who didn't: Matt Stafford. He was terrific and I loved seeing him get on his guys for not getting to the ground or out of bounds. They'll be even better going forward.

It did seem very strange at the time, but the fact that it was 4th down & Arizona had no timeouts left played a huge role. I am pretty sure that BB wanted to see if AZ was going to be rushed / have trouble getting their FG unit on the field. They likely expected NE to take a TO and might have not been sharp. When it was clear that they were not going to have an issue getting set up properly, though, then Belichick called a TO. He tries to take advantage of chaos/indecision on part of the other team. To the credit of Bruce Ariens, the Cards were ready.

I wonder if Arizona regrets not investing a draft pick in a long snapper or laying out the money for a skilled vet. People, sometimes including Patriots fans, give Belichick grief for drafting special teams-only players, such as gunners, long snappers, wedge blockers, etc., in rounds 4-7 of the draft. But year after year their investments in that forgotten 3rd phase of the game pays off. Year after year their opponents neglect in making such investments in special teams also pays off.

lol:

CsH78V-UMAA6LDO.jpg

giphy.gif

Happened right in front of me. I think they took it because Hilton was hurting after the catch on the previous play.

Let the clock wind down and then take it if you must. There was waaaay too much time for their position on the field at that moment.

Discussing the NFL and focusing only on the Colts... that's like having a thread on Big 10 basketball and only discussing RUTGERS.

Let the clock wind down and then take it if you must. There was waaaay too much time for their position on the field at that moment.

Sure.

But if the officials blow the whistle to have him looked at he has to sit out a play.

Luck didn't let the clock run and snapped the ball immediately after the review of the completion to Moncreif. Why isn't anyone on his @$$?

Irsay is good at getting high

Too bad he sucks at knowing what good coaches and GMs look like.

Sure.

But if the officials blow the whistle to have him looked at he has to sit out a play.

Luck didn't let the clock run and snapped the ball immediately after the review of the completion to Moncreif. Why isn't anyone on his @$$?

I'd like to take this opportunity to blame it on the Black and Gold Captain's Patch ...
gettyimages-496334124.jpg

F'n Retarded, GagsOn!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT