ADVERTISEMENT

The Annual Masters Golf contest is here. Play again or join for the first time.

Tiger's way too competitive to ever roll in a golf cart. That said I'm not sure it is an unfair advantage. He's probably at a significant disadvantage as it stands with his injuries/conditions

Casey Martin I could side with. The guy was dealt a shitty hand with bad health. Tiger Woods made a billion dollars and drove his car off a cliff - in other words, self-inflicted circumstances.

The idea that some guys are going to walk 30 miles over four days for a tournament while someone else gets to ride a cart doesn't seem "fair" in the least. Just a little physical drain can cause a significant impact on your golf swing.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Casey Martin I could side with. The guy was dealt a shitty hand with bad health. Tiger Woods made a billion dollars and drove his car off a cliff - in other words, self-inflicted circumstances.

The idea that some guys are going to walk 30 miles over four days for a tournament while someone else gets to ride a cart doesn't seem "fair" in the least. Just a little physical drain can cause a significant impact on your golf swing.
I guess the walk is an integral part of the sport? Or is it incidental and really a skill sport?

I guess the walk is an integral part of the sport? Or is it incidental and really a skill sport?

i think it’s part of it. Riding a cart and playing is much easier than walking, even if you aren’t carrying a club. It fundamentally impacts fatigue.

Augusta is one of the harder walks on tour due to fairly severe elevation changes. Absolutely the walk is a part of it. Go walk 4 rounds in 4 days on a hilly course, you'll be tired towards the end of rounds.

Augusta is one of the harder walks on tour due to fairly severe elevation changes. Absolutely the walk is a part of it. Go walk 4 rounds in 4 days on a hilly course, you'll be tired towards the end of rounds.
Please. I guarantee you I walk more than any pro golfer and that's while using a cart. I just walk and walk and walk trying to find the ball

Last edited:
I'm terrible. And in my single days I played a ton. Took lessons. Bought all the newest clubs. Just never could get even decent. I wish I would have played as a kid. Took lessons then.
If God doesn't make you a golfer - you will never be one.

I hit balls in a field with Grampaw's 7 iron as kid. Then, in 7th grade, our PE student teacher took a group of us and gave us 6 weeks of lessons instead of doing "real" student teaching. In high school, we were members of a shitty little farm county country club with a shitty little 9 hole course. Played it a bunch. Took golf as a PE course in college, and my best friend was high school golf team guy. Played IU's par 3 course a lot during law school. Played country club golf through a 34 year law career.

Still suck.

Best ever index was a 9.9 for one 2-week reporting period.
Won my 6 round Buddy Golf Trip bet/trophy once.
Won a country club flight at a Member-Guest twice.

Best country club round was a 75 on my home course. Was even par after 15. Choked. Played the last 3 in 3 over.

Best round ever was an 80 at Valhalla. Stood on 18 tee at 72. Par it with a 5 and I finish at 77 - new league record. Took an 8 for an 80. Best round ever because it was so freaking hard.

I hit balls in a field with Grampaw's 7 iron as kid. Then, in 7th grade, our PE student teacher took a group of us and gave us 6 weeks of lessons instead of doing "real" student teaching. In high school, we were members of a shitty little farm county country club with a shitty little 9 hole course. Played it a bunch. Took golf as a PE course in college, and my best friend was high school golf team guy. Played IU's par 3 course a lot during law school. Played country club golf through a 34 year law career.

Still suck.

Best country club round was a 75 on my home course. Was even par after 15. Choked. Played the last 3 in 3 over.

Best round ever was an 80 at Valhalla. Stood on 18 tee at 72. Par it with a 5 and I finish at 77 - new league record. Took an 8 for an 80. Best round ever because it was so freaking hard.
Agreed on God. But damn. You are in a whole other league. I can't imagine shooting a 75. I shot an 88 once. Only time I've ever broken 90. My uncle filmed my swing ages ago. Was the most demoralizing thing I've ever witnessed. The lessons they expect you to "feel" this and that but I never do.

I love golf. Beers with buddies. Dinner after. The weather. The excitement of new courses. Clubs. The latest shit. All of it. But I'm just too competitive so can't just go out and have fun with it and be a shitty golfer. I just wander the course mumbling "Why the f*uck ..."

Now life doesn't really afford many five hour breaks for a round for me or my friends

I actually prefer walking and feel like I play better when I do (assuming caddie). When you’re driving a golf cart and come to a sudden stop I feel like that throws off rhythm and tempo. Like getting off a roller coaster and then trying to hit triple 20 on a dart board.

I understand the fatigue argument, just not as applicable to myself. We’ve discussed my athletic credentials on this board ad nauseum.

But I see how it could affect fats and olds, and pro courses have much more exhausting terrain than your local country club. Seeing them on TV doesn’t do it justice.

Agreed on God. But damn. You are in a whole other league. I can't imagine shooting a 75. I shot an 88 once. Only time I've ever broken 90. My uncle filmed my swing ages ago. Was the most demoralizing thing I've ever witnessed. The lessons they expect you to "feel" this and that but I never do.

I love golf. Beers with buddies. Dinner after. The weather. The excitement of new courses. Clubs. The latest shit. All of it. But I'm just too competitive so can't just go out and have fun with it and be a shitty golfer. I just wander the course mumbling "Why the f*uck ..."

Now life doesn't really afford many five hour breaks for a round for me or my friends
Stop keeping score. Seriously. Life changing.

Still suck.

I once shot 39 for the back nine of a local, fairly easy course. Came back two days later and shot 56 on the same nine. Golf sucks.

I once shot 39 for the back nine of a local, fairly easy course. Came back two days later and shot 56 on the same nine. Golf sucks.

i actually view it as a great equalizer. Obviously it helps to be fit, but John Daly proved it wasn’t a requirement. Harry Higgs, Shane Lowry… these guys look more like out of shape OL than professionals.

more importantly, many of the best players are normal looking guys (Justin Thomas weighs 150 after he climbs out of a pool fully clothed, bunch of short guys who can bomb it and get after it with their irons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT