ADVERTISEMENT

The $25M buyout isn't a deal breaker -- nor should it be

UncleMark

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2001
Yes, $25M is a big, scary number. But it gets paid out over several years.

However, in another couple years we'll be looking at $100M/yr in BTN money, which is a big jump from what we're getting now ($30M more, maybe?). And that's per year.

If they haven't spent that already (it would be malpractice if they have), then it's simply a question of budgeting. We've always had to run on a tight budget, so that's not a big hurdle. Even so, we should still be coming out substantially ahead. In the long term, if we can get the footbal program on firmer ground, it will put us in a better position financially overall. That $25M will just be an investment.

(And I'm not even taking into account any reduction in the buyout that might result from CTA getting another job.)

However, in another couple years we'll be looking at $100M/yr in BTN money, which is a big jump from what we're getting now ($30M more, maybe?). And that's per year.

If they haven't spent that already (it would be malpractice if they have), then it's simply a question of budgeting. We've always had to run on a tight budget, so that's not a big hurdle. Even so, we should still be coming out substantially ahead. In the long term, if we can get the footbal program on firmer ground, it will put us in a better position financially overall. That $25M will just be an investment.

(And I'm not even taking into account any reduction in the buyout that might result from CTA getting another job.)
I think the more likely scenario is that CTA is so beaten down that he agrees to take a lesser amount to walk away.

I think he has to admit that he has lost the team after today.

I think the more likely scenario is that CTA is so beaten down that he agrees to take a lesser amount to walk away.

Sure, fine. Regardless, the money shouldn't be what keeps him here.

The Archie buyout was different. We didn't have that huge BTN money bump locked up when that was done.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Big Ten people have been walking back the media rights deal numbers. Could be a strategic decision because there are a lot of questions being asked about how the money should be used. I Also think you underestimate the financial cost of a coaching change. When you calculate all the numbers inckuding paypouts for existing staff, buyout costs of a new coach, perhaps higher costs for a coach and staffing additions you could very easily raking about $35M or more and those are significant costs. Those huge buyouts for SEC and Big 12 coaches are covered by boosters and we did not have the same philosophies about boosters in the Big Ten as they do at schools in other conferences.

IIRC, Dolson was asked about that money and I believe it is already earmarked for facility upgrades.

also if he is retained (and i think he will be)

the enthusiasm, ticket sales, etc. (and related cash flow) is going to drop substantially

a new staff would help immensely on and off the field to offset that buyout

IIRC, Dolson was asked about that money and I believe it is already earmarked for facility upgrades.

Then delay them. A year or two isn't going to make a difference. Again, we're going to be getting an extra $30M (I'll stand corrected on the number, but I'm pretty sure it's in that neighborhood) per year. We can absorb $25M over 5 years.

also if he is retained (and i think he will be)

the enthusiasm, ticket sales, etc. (and related cash flow) is going to drop substantially

a new staff would help immensely on and off the field to offset that buyout

Today was the day I jumped on the Fire Allen bandwagon. This can't continue. If I could have forfeited the game after what they did to Sorsby I would have.

Then delay them. A year or two isn't going to make a difference. Again, we're going to be getting an extra $30M (I'll stand corrected on the number, but I'm pretty sure it's in that neighborhood) per year. We can absorb $25M over 5 years.
it needs to be done to stop the bleeding

it is imperative to get the hire right this time.

no margin for error

Last edited:
Today was the day I jumped on the Fire Allen bandwagon. This can't continue. If I could have forfeited the game after what they did to Sorsby I would have.
it was embarrassing wasn't it?

i'm a 45 yr season ticket holder that has withstood a lot of pain....

but i'm questioning what i have left.....

Last edited:
it was embarrassing wasn't it?

i'm a 45 yr season ticket holder that's witnessed a lot of pain....

but i'm questioning what i have left.....
Today was the first home game I've missed in 20+ years without having a conflict or some compelling reason ( with the exception of the Virginia monsoon game a few years ago when I legitimately feared not being able to get back to my rural Brown County home). I just couldn't bring myself to endure that weather for what I knew would be debacle. I watched on tv and saw exactly what I figured I would see. Damn glad I didn't make the trip.

I've never been a "fire the coach" guy, but this year has changed my mind. I don't see Tom Allen turning things around next year or anytime in the future. We have to find someone who can recruit better offensive players or who can bring a creative enough offense to help compensate for our inferior athletic talent. If this staff is back, I will likely buy a pair of tickets to keep my points for consecutive years, but I'll sell them on stubhub every week and I will not make a varsity club contribution. I really can't justify spending time and money for the product I see on the field.

Today was the first home game I've missed in 20+ years without having a conflict or some compelling reason ( with the exception of the Virginia monsoon game a few years ago when I legitimately feared not being able to get back to my rural Brown County home). I just couldn't bring myself to endure that weather for what I knew would be debacle. I watched on tv and saw exactly what I figured I would see. Damn glad I didn't make the trip.

I've never been a "fire the coach" guy, but this year has changed my mind. I don't see Tom Allen turning things around next year or anytime in the future. We have to find someone who can recruit better offensive players or who can bring a creative enough offense to help compensate for our inferior athletic talent. If this staff is back, I will likely buy a pair of tickets to keep my points for consecutive years, but I'll sell them on stubhub every week and I will not make a varsity club contribution. I really can't justify spending time and money for the product I see on the field.
i believe many are thinking exactly the same thing as you (and i)

let's hope dolson figures this out.....

Show me a guy with a slogan and I’ll show you someone who will eventually be fired.

Allen is a dead man walking. No way he’s back. Sack him tomorrow. It’s over.

I too will buy my tickets solely for basketball points and I’ll be sure to tell my ticket rep I’ll never step foot in the stadium until TA is replaced.

Yeah Idk what the numbers project(or how the results in our last three games would change them), but at a certain point you're going to lose a ridiculous amount of revenue next year and probably the year after in ticket sales, concessions, etc if you bring back Allen, it's not 25 million, but over two seasons, I wouldn't be surprised if the decrease in revenue is at least 8 figures. If you factor in that cost, it's not really 25 million dollars.

I think this would be the best for all parties. He is unfortunately hitting pretty near rock bottom. His explanation for playing the freshman vs Williams was almost bizarro world to me. Things just seem to be beyond help or hope right now. Very decent man, but afraid in over his head.

Unless IU is willing to compete with NIL pay for players, hiring and firing coaches doesn’t matter

When we won the league in Covid Year, they changed the rules to let OSU go

As soon as we got the bare minimum facilities to compete, they made pay-for-play legal

IU is an amateur school in a pro league now

Once they move us to the second tier and our games are Only on ESPN+, they’”” cut our revenue from the TV deals and we will be even less competitive.

It’s time to cook or leave the kitchen, and our admin thinks its all about being swell fellas well met

What does it matter if they guy who agreed to this albatross of a contract just 18 months ago is still the one in charge?

Yeah Idk what the numbers project(or how the results in our last three games would change them), but at a certain point you're going to lose a ridiculous amount of revenue next year and probably the year after in ticket sales, concessions, etc if you bring back Allen, it's not 25 million, but over two seasons, I wouldn't be surprised if the decrease in revenue is at least 8 figures. If you factor in that cost, it's not really 25 million dollars.
Out of morbid curiosity, was there an announced attendance figure today?

Out of morbid curiosity, was there an announced attendance figure today?
ESPN's listed attendance was 45,142 which would put it at 86%. Take that with a massive grain of salt though because Idk how they get to that figure but it always seems high, whether it's just reported tickets sold or if it's tickets that checked in at any point in the game. But either way, being in the stadium I would say it peaked at about 70-75% capacity that you could actually see filling the stands and that 70% did not last very long.

My guess is ticket sales overall were not bad this year even though attendance has not looked great the past two games, especially student ticket sales. But that's probably going to get a lot worse next year as 2020 is further into the rearview mirror. Only the senior class of the entire student population will have experienced the hype of 2020, everyone else will have only known the last two seasons, which have been...well, less than inspiring.

No matter what they do next year attendance will definitely be down, even in the hypothetical that they fire Allen, this is still Indiana and we're still in the B1G East so whoever they bring in will most likely struggle in their first year. But ATP every year they let Allen stay is a year of potential progress wasted and most likely backward in revenue.

ESPN's listed attendance was 45,142 which would put it at 86%. Take that with a massive grain of salt though because Idk how they get to that figure but it always seems high, whether it's just reported tickets sold or if it's tickets that checked in at any point in the game. But either way, being in the stadium I would say it peaked at about 70-75% capacity that you could actually see filling the stands and that 70% did not last very long.

My guess is ticket sales overall were not bad this year even though attendance has not looked great the past two games, especially student ticket sales. But that's probably going to get a lot worse next year as 2020 is further into the rearview mirror. Only the senior class of the entire student population will have experienced the hype of 2020, everyone else will have only known the last two seasons, which have been...well, less than inspiring.

No matter what they do next year attendance will definitely be down, even in the hypothetical that they fire Allen, this is still Indiana and we're still in the B1G East so whoever they bring in will most likely struggle in their first year. But ATP every year they let Allen stay is a year of potential progress wasted and most likely backward in revenue.
The crowd didn’t look big on tv but maybe for the Bucket game it might be—that one better be at least competitive or 2023 could be really grim

The crowd didn’t look big on tv but maybe for the Bucket game it might be—that one better be at least competitive or 2023 could be really grim
I would bet my life savings that the SS will be at least half empty at it's peak for the bucket game, there's just not any excitement or really even any hope that it will get better by the end of the year, and obviously they get that whole week off for thanksgiving. The Maryland game had weak student attendance because of fall break and that was with some pretty good weather, a better record, and a much shorter break. I can't see very many students coming back a day early to watch what they assume will be a loss to their rival.

Regardless of what happens with a HC decision the very 1st decision needing made is to organize the Mover$ and Shaker$ and build an NIL focusing solely on LOS good quality talent. Offense and defense. Build the foundation then build out and up. Matador OL is sickening. Always having to stunt, blitz and create a pass rush is weakness on display. Since we are seriously living with paying players IUFB needs to hire mean sonsabitches to fight in the trenches. Get REAL!!!!👊

Last edited:
Regardless of what happens with a HC decision the very 1st decision needing made is to organize the Mover$ and Shaker$ and build an NIL focusing solely on LOS good quality talent. Offense and defense. Build the foundation then build out and up. Matador OL is sickening. Always having to stunt, blitz and create a pass rush is weakness on display. Since we are seriously living with paying players IUFB needs to hire mean sonsabitches to fight in the trenches. Get REAL!!!!👊
I agree with this. When you are dealing with limited NIL money, you need to focus on one thing to try and get good players in. IMO that should be linemen.

Tuttle should have told Allen no way I am playing behind this sieve o line.
He is such a team player AND probably wanted some freaking tape on himself, but yes, Allen look bad for this TOO! He just seems like a guy now completely Tami g in water who needs to bail or get bailed out with a settled buyout.

I am glad to see someone acknowledge that the university can't just spend more NIL money. The best they can do is, as you say, try to organize the shakers and movers. Unfortunately at IU said big hitters are much more interested in basketball. The best the university can do is spend what they can to put a well coached product on the field. That has to be step one and this disorganized bunch is not it.

I am glad to see someone acknowledge that the university can't just spend more NIL money. The best they can do is, as you say, try to organize the shakers and movers. Unfortunately at IU said big hitters are much more interested in basketball. The best the university can do is spend what they can to put a well coached product on the field. That has to be step one and this disorganized bunch is not it.
Yes BB is the IU favorite. But I contend it wouldn't take a lottery win to buy good, not elite, talented LOS talent. Talent that can really produce + results in their 3rd, 4th and 5th years of eligibility. Lots of talented but unskilled position players would jump at the chance to play B1G FB and have a new Mrs. Grant's son in his pocket everyday for himself to spend. For some it may only take a $20 dollar bill a day to get them to Bloomington. There are now 2 games being played and 1 of them is before the season starts, NIL. 40 NIL FB donors forking over $2-5k for LOS talent is cheap. I believe enough successful IUFB diehards would pony up to create a successful grassroots movement.👊💥👍

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT