ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks for the raise, kids

My home is paid for, I have good paid for cars, we don't go anywhere (so we don't need new clothes much and don't need to buy much gas), and the serving wench gets everything she can out of her food dollars while still feeding us well. (In fact, I've taken to nudging her toward loosening up a bit and not feeling like she needs to scrimp so much, that if she wants to buy beef or whatever else is "too expensive", we can afford it.)

Living within or below ones means is not that hard if you're willing to do without, even among the working poor.
Very true. I find that the older I get, the less I want and I dread the hassle of getting it even more. My primary vehicles are twelve and fourteen years old, with an 18-year-old PT Cruiser for a backup/local quick trip driver ( it has 204k miles and all of my girls used it for their primary transportation in their high school/college years). I'd shelve it, but it won't die. We really could stand to upgrade, but not only do I not want to spend the money, the thought of car shopping makes me want to puke. I can't believe that there was a time in my life when I got excited about trading cars or shopping for new clothes.

Well I'm required to buy all kinds of insurance. Health insurance (though guess there's no penalty anymore), auto insurance (to drive legally), homeowners insurance (if I have a mortgage) , etc...

OASDI just another compulsory insurance product....one that's more or less used in almost every country.

The "return" sucks, sure (it's basically the return of T- bills)..... but we'd have some much more serious social problems than we do without it, IMHO.

Social Security is insurance, & many griped about it, when it first came out (1935). Medicare, Medicaid, certain home owners ins, is required sometimes, all = insurance/pubic security.

group insurance/group security, for the better good of all/the majority.

Wearing your seat belt in a form of insurance, & many griped a bout it when it was first required.

My home is paid for, I have good paid for cars, we don't go anywhere (so we don't need new clothes much and don't need to buy much gas), and the serving wench gets everything she can out of her food dollars while still feeding us well. (In fact, I've taken to nudging her toward loosening up a bit and not feeling like she needs to scrimp so much, that if she wants to buy beef or whatever else is "too expensive", we can afford it.)

Living within or below ones means is not that hard if you're willing to do without, even among the working poor.
You know, other than being a Dem, you kinda Rock, right?
I'll even add that it's not about living within your means. There is a level of "things" that are needed to live, no matter ones income. Everything else is excess. Practicing self denial or minimization can be a fun challenge, but most want to use their success to brag, via killing themselves via excess. greed.

I'll even add that it's not about living within your means. There is a level of "things" that are needed to live, no matter ones income. Everything else is excess. Practicing self denial or minimization can be a fun challenge, but most want to use their success to brag, via killing themselves via excess. greed.
SWMBO went to the standalone butcher shop on the east side (i.e. wealthy) side of town today. Brought home some ground sirloin patties, among other things she thought weren't too expensive. Gas grill is warming up out on the deck. We're livin' the dream, man, livin' the dream.

Maybe one day Mark will tell us his full life story.... the years before the trailer park. I think he should write a book.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
SWMBO went to the standalone butcher shop on the east side (i.e. wealthy) side of town today. Brought home some ground sirloin patties, among other things she thought weren't too expensive. Gas grill is warming up out on the deck. We're livin' the dream, man, livin' the dream.
Doesn't get any better !

Send her to The Gosport Market. It's only 25-30 min from you. Great meat, much better price I'm sure (I hate the east side).
As a bonus she can see things like a John Deere lawn mower with a lift kit.... (Not shit, I saw this today! ) :)

You also need to know that I wouldn't be rocking like I am without government handouts, the biggest being the ACA. There was an extended period of time when the cost of health insurance and out of pocket expenses were taking nearly 50% of my after tax income. We barely kept our heads above water. My savings rate was essentially zero. And any car repair or appliance breakdown was enough to cause sleepless nights.

The ACA was life changing. Since then, Medicare and Social Security have made things that much better. Top that off with the "free money" that Trump and Biden sent, along with the bonus I got with the "enhanced UI" when I was furloughed last year (I took a pay cut when I went back to work), and here I am.

I know many people think that the government money is wasted on lazy blood-sucking bastages who just game the system, and there are no doubt examples of that. But there are real people in tough circumstances who have benefited to the point to where they're able to live unassuming, decent lives without fear of losing everything any time something goes awry.

And lastly, in the spirit of full disclosure, I also have to acknowledge that a good chunk of my nest egg came to me after my parents' deaths. It wasn't life changing in and of itself, it all got invested (high five figures), and will be there at the end when I'm no longer able to supplement the dole we're on now.

I'm sure I've overshared, but as the token poor white trash member here, I feel obliged to occasionally let you more successful guys know that the working poor aren't always the cartoon characters we're oftentimes made out to be. Hell, many (most?) of us even voted for Trump. :confused:

Last edited:
You also need to know that I wouldn't be rocking like I am without government handouts, the biggest being the ACA. There was an extended period of time when the cost of health insurance and out of pocket expenses were taking nearly 50% of my after tax income. We barely kept our heads above water. My savings rate was essentially zero. And any car repair or appliance breakdown was enough to cause sleepless nights.

The ACA was life changing. Since then, Medicare and Social Security have made things that much better. Top that off with the "free money" that Trump and Biden sent, along with the bonus I got with the "enhanced UI" when I was furloughed last year (I took a pay cut when I went back to work), and here I am.

I know many people think that the government money is wasted on lazy blood-sucking bastages who just game the system, and there are no doubt examples of that. But there are real people in tough circumstances who have benefited to the point to where they're able to live unassuming, decent lives without fear of losing everything any time something goes awry.

And lastly, in the spirit of full disclosure, I also have to acknowledge that a good chunk of my nest egg came to me after my parents' deaths. It wasn't life changing in and of itself, it all got invested (high five figures), and will be there at the end when I'm no longer able to supplement the dole we're on now.

I'm sure I've overshared, but as the token poor white trash member here, I feel obliged to occasionally let you more successful guys know that the working poor aren't always the cartoon characters we're often time made out to be. Hell, many (most?) of us even voted for Trump. :confused:
The biggest 2 reasons I play the pissed off jokester here are because 1) I am really pissed off and 2) it takes so damn much effort to explain all of the different facets of any topic that I feel. I could make Comic look like a 2 sentence poster.
As to your story, I've followed your story for years. I get it. The Truth about "you more successful guys" as you said, my story isn't much different than yours. It sounds like my health history is better, but financially about the same. Up until 5 years ago I couldn't save a used pan to piss in, but I never went without anything I ever wanted. I just never really wanted much, hell I didn't even know what would be better than what I had.
9 Yrs ago I was able to parley a life of hardwork, modest education and being to dumb to know what I didn't know, into (my) lifes WatShot against Kentucky. It took me 4 years to clean up 44 yrs of shit storm and am setting pretty happy now. With some (dang little in the grand scheme) money, debt free and still not knowing what the eff I want that is better.
One day Brad (never changes his overalls) can explain me to you. I'm a tenacious dick that doesn't know when to stop, and shouldn't have ever attempted 90% of the things I succeeded the most in. The thing I hate about getting older, I've started to identify the things that I am supposed to be to dumb to even try... and I don't do them anymore. It's getting boring.
Anyway, other than you being a commie, we aren't much different :) .

OH you made a good point about gov assistance. There are many that use it to boost themselves up and get back on track and build upon it. That is what it is for and although us rubes get stereotyped, we totally agree with that and support it totally. The blood sucking pelosi'.... leaches are the one's that cause the debate, not the honest people trying to live the real American dream.
I just though of 12 other things so I'll shut up..

Well I'm required to buy all kinds of insurance. Health insurance (though guess there's no penalty anymore), auto insurance (to drive legally), homeowners insurance (if I have a mortgage) , etc...

OASDI just another compulsory insurance product....one that's more or less used in almost every country.

The "return" sucks, sure (it's basically the return of T- bills)..... but we'd have some much more serious social problems than we do without it, IMHO.
As I said - you're not required to buy it.

Just like you don't have to sign up for Facebook or Twitter - isn't that what the Leftists are telling us?

Don't get vaccinated - you don't have to - but you won't have a job.

I haven't seen you speak out against that type of thinking.

I'm sure I've overshared, but as the token poor white trash member here, I feel obliged to occasionally let you more successful guys know that the working poor aren't always the cartoon characters we're oftentimes made out to be. Hell, many (most?) of us even voted for Trump. :confused:
I don't know anyone who objects to helping out the 'working poor'.

But I don't think there are that many of the poor are actually working, or, if they are, are gaming the system.

The entire reason we have this discussion is only possible if the average person takes more than they paid in. Think about it.
I've thought about it and realized you're talking out your ass again.

Have you figured out how much an average person would get in a private account if they were to receive only a 5% annual return on their SS contributions plus that of their employer?

Of course you haven't. Otherwise you wouldn't post such tripe.

As I said - you're not required to buy it.

Just like you don't have to sign up for Facebook or Twitter - isn't that what the Leftists are telling us?

Don't get vaccinated - you don't have to - but you won't have a job.

I haven't seen you speak out against that type of thinking.

I have no issue with an employer requiring a vaccine. I don't believe the federal govt should be basterdizing OSHA laws to mandate employers to mandate one, such as Biden is attempting.

I've thought about it and realized you're talking out your ass again.

Have you figured out how much an average person would get in a private account if they were to receive only a 5% annual return on their SS contributions plus that of their employer?

Of course you haven't. Otherwise you wouldn't post such tripe.
Really disappointing to come home, settle down, load up the old internet, and read this kind of stupidity.

The question wasn't how SS performs compared to alternative investment strategies. The question was whether or not people paid in more than they got out. Stoll claimed most people did, and you tacitly backed that up.

But it simply doesn't work. The trust fund would be growing perpetually if that's what was happening. But it isn't. It's shrinking. And that's only possible if people are taking out more than was put in.

Reactions: UncleMark
Really disappointing to come home, settle down, load up the old internet, and read this kind of stupidity.

The question wasn't how SS performs compared to alternative investment strategies. The question was whether or not people paid in more than they got out. Stoll claimed most people did, and you tacitly backed that up.

But it simply doesn't work. The trust fund would be growing perpetually if that's what was happening. But it isn't. It's shrinking. And that's only possible if people are taking out more than was put in.
How did I 'tacitly' agree with it? I don't believe I did, but I'm not going to go back and review.

You are thinking simplistically again. The pot is shrinking because it's a ponzi scheme. The first in get theirs, and maybe more. As the SS eligible population grows, the working population isn't growing fast enough to support it and the pot shrinks.

It was always doomed to go broke, at some point, without continuing to increase the SS percentage each work and employer pay.

How did I 'tacitly' agree with it? I don't believe I did, but I'm not going to go back and review.

You are thinking simplistically again. The pot is shrinking because it's a ponzi scheme. The first in get theirs, and maybe more. As the SS eligible population grows, the working population isn't growing fast enough to support it and the pot shrinks.

It was always doomed to go broke, at some point, without continuing to increase the SS percentage each work and employer pay.
Wrong. Here, since you're too lazy to do a Google search.

The article is 8 years old, and I'll gladly admit I was wrong if you or Stoll - or anyone - can provide an updated study that shows the situation has changed so dramatically.

Reactions: BCCHoosier
Wrong. Here, since you're too lazy to do a Google search.

The article is 8 years old, and I'll gladly admit I was wrong if you or Stoll - or anyone - can provide an updated study that shows the situation has changed so dramatically.
No, I'm not wrong. It's a ponzi scheme, as I said.

If the 'average' person drew 30% more at the time of the article, they're drawing less now, since the amount over contributions has shrunk - PER YOUR ARTICLE.

"According to the institute’s data, a two-earner couple receiving an average wage — $44,600 per spouse in 2012 dollars — and turning 65 in 2010 would have paid $722,000 into Social Security and Medicare and can be expected to take out $966,000 in benefits. So, this couple will be paid about one-third more in benefits than they paid in taxes.

If a similar couple had retired in 1980, they would have gotten back almost three times what they put in. And if they had retired in 1960, they would have gotten back more than eight times what they paid in. The bigger discrepancies common decades ago can be traced in part to the fact that some of these individuals’ working lives came before Social Security taxes were collected beginning in 1937."

In any case, it's clear that privatizing SS and putting individual and employer contributions into a private account would provide much higher payout. 2 percentage points above inflation, which the study uses, is far less less than an S&P Index fund paid out. Inflation has been low for quite some time.

I won't wait for you to admit you're wrong - although you are.

No, I'm not wrong. It's a ponzi scheme, as I said.

If the 'average' person drew 30% more at the time of the article, they're drawing less now, since the amount over contributions has shrunk - PER YOUR ARTICLE.

"According to the institute’s data, a two-earner couple receiving an average wage — $44,600 per spouse in 2012 dollars — and turning 65 in 2010 would have paid $722,000 into Social Security and Medicare and can be expected to take out $966,000 in benefits. So, this couple will be paid about one-third more in benefits than they paid in taxes.

If a similar couple had retired in 1980, they would have gotten back almost three times what they put in. And if they had retired in 1960, they would have gotten back more than eight times what they paid in. The bigger discrepancies common decades ago can be traced in part to the fact that some of these individuals’ working lives came before Social Security taxes were collected beginning in 1937."

In any case, it's clear that privatizing SS and putting individual and employer contributions into a private account would provide much higher payout. 2 percentage points above inflation, which the study uses, is far less less than an S&P Index fund paid out. Inflation has been low for quite some time.

I won't wait for you to admit you're wrong - although you are.
I said most people get out more than they put in. That's not wrong. You're just too stubborn to admit it.

I have no issue with an employer requiring a vaccine. I don't believe the federal govt should be basterdizing OSHA laws to mandate employers to mandate one, such as Biden is attempting.
And that's exactly what it is

Reactions: DANC
I don't think he even realizes that his comment was entirely irrelevant to what I said...despite the fact that he's adamant that what I said was wrong. It's like he is speaking another language.
Sure, if that makes you feel better.

I don't know anyone who objects to helping out the 'working poor'.

But I don't think there are that many of the poor are actually working, or, if they are, are gaming the system.
And there it is. When people you know (or "know", like here) need help, that's okay. But the vast majority of those nameless, faceless others are lazy, no good for nothin' scammers.

Kinda like what I/we saw when I expressed my chagrin for not paying any Federal income tax. Almost to a man, everyone here said I had nothing to be ashamed of, that I'd paid my fair share in other ways, and that I was cool with them. Now those other lazy scammin' bastards...

And there it is. When people you know (or "know", like here) need help, that's okay. But the vast majority of those nameless, faceless others are lazy, no good for nothin' scammers.

Kinda like what I/we saw when I expressed my chagrin for not paying any Federal income tax. Almost to a man, everyone here said I had nothing to be ashamed of, that I'd paid my fair share in other ways, and that I was cool with them. Now those other lazy scammin' bastards...
Do you believe we do a good job of separating who needs assistance and who’s capable of working and won’t?

There’s no problem finding $15 per hour and higher jobs now. Why do we have poor folks at home not filling jobs?

I am not trying to be a dick. I am just asking what you think.

Reactions: DANC
Do you believe we do a good job of separating who needs assistance and who’s capable of working and won’t?

There’s no problem finding $15 per hour and higher jobs now. Why do we have poor folks at home not filling jobs?

I am not trying to be a dick. I am just asking what you think.
If this info is accurate, the cost of childcare could have something to do with it, especially if we’re talking single parents. $15/hr doesn’t buy much nowadays, especially if that much of a chunk has to go to childcare.
(https://www.procaresoftware.com/resources/child-care-costs-by-state-2020/#IN).

Why did you do this? Why do you make it into something that it isn't? How have you been so jaded into "those (in your words) that have", don't want to help those who don't have?
Maybe that's the difference between your history and mine. I never begrudged "success", I kept taking notes and followed it.
You seem to play a victim while most here (I expect anyway) actually applaud your personal organization and you having a clear picture of personal responsibility. I know I do!
Why do you "seem to" glorify those that won't put in the effort that you have?

That question doesn't address the people (like me) who will, can, and do work and still needed assistance (talking specifically about the ACA). It was the constant denigration of those people (like me) in the discussions on the ACA that prompted me to out myself as the poor white trash guy hanging out online with all you high rolling professionals. I still get the impression that most of you think I am some sort of exception, that maybe I am deserving but most of those in similar circumstances aren't. I would contend that I'm not. In fact, the fact that I'm reasonably well read, reasonbly well spoken, and reasonably bright would make me less deserving than those without those advantages.
I don't know. My best guess is that instead of sucking the public teat (as so many assume is happening) a number of people have gotten out from under a lot of immediate financial difficulties with the payments from Trump and Biden, the enhanced unemployment, and the moratorium on evictions and foreclosures. All that has ended. People will have to decide how their current situations have changed, and whether they can be maintained without going back to work. A family with a worker making $30K may decide that having the spouse go back to work and have 80% of her income taken up by child care just isn't worth it. In my mind the big question will be around evictions and foreclosures. I think we'll be seeing a lot of people out on the streets before too long.

Why do you "seem to" glorify those that won't put in the effort that you have?
That right there sums it up. I'm okay with you, but those other people (whose stories you don't know) are lazy bastages. It's the assumptions you make about those others that I take issue with. I'd suggest their stories are just as legit as mine.

Reactions: largemouth
That question doesn't address the people (like me) who will, can, and do work and still needed assistance (talking specifically about the ACA). It was the constant denigration of those people (like me) in the discussions on the ACA that prompted me to out myself as the poor white trash guy hanging out online with all you high rolling professionals. I still get the impression that most of you think I am some sort of exception, that maybe I am deserving but most of those in similar circumstances aren't. I would contend that I'm not. In fact, the fact that I'm reasonably well read, reasonbly well spoken, and reasonably bright would make me less deserving than those without those advantages.

I don't know. My best guess is that instead of sucking the public teat (as so many assume is happening) a number of people have gotten out from under a lot of immediate financial difficulties with the payments from Trump and Biden, the enhanced unemployment, and the moratorium on evictions and foreclosures. All that has ended. People will have to decide how their current situations have changed, and whether they can be maintained without going back to work. A family with a worker making $30K may decide that having the spouse go back to work and have 80% of her income taken up by child care just isn't worth it. In my mind the big question will be around evictions and foreclosures. I think we'll be seeing a lot of people out on the streets before too long.
I agree with almost everything you write. I was a proponent of trying UBI but I think the equivalent of it the last year contributed to inflation. I think gov is inefficient and ineffectual and I believe lots of good deserving people need help. I don't know the solution. Taxing the rich isn't it

That right there sums it up. I'm okay with you, but those other people (whose stories you don't know) are lazy bastages. It's the assumptions you make about those others that I take issue with. I'd suggest their stories are just as legit as mine.
Then how do you and me, help them turn into you and me, without you demanding I pay them, which ends up them not caring about becoming you and me?
The point being, using short term assistance to build on, then using less of it as they progress, and then being self sufficient. 8 month window, how do you and I help them achieve this? Answer then tell me where to show up Monday Morning. I'll put in the blood sweat and tears.

The point being, using short term assistance to build on, then using less of it as they progress, and then being self sufficient. 8 month window, how do you and I help them achieve this? Answer then tell me where to show up Monday Morning. I'll put in the blood sweat and tears.
No Idea. You'll need someone smarter than me to figure that out. In the meantime, however, I'd suggest we try and at least help them keep their heads above water.

No Idea. You'll need someone smarter than me to figure that out. In the meantime, however, I'd suggest we try and at least help them keep their heads above water.
See, this right here makes anyone think you're like everyone else, speaking in platitudes and preaching that someone else should organize something to get some other rich eff'ers to pay for it. Me on the other hand is saying, lead me, I will help.
Lets say this effort starts for those within a 1 mile radius of your house (start small and then expand with success). Write out a plan, tell me where to be on Sat Morning, I'll be there and dedicate a couple hours a week. IF you've a better plan, I'll follow.
If you admit it or not, you've become successful. I'll follow and help you spread it. I don't, how ever, have the calling to lead it right now.
Lets go man. Practice what ya preach and I'm yours.

See, this right here makes anyone think you're like everyone else, speaking in platitudes and preaching that someone else should organize something to get some other rich eff'ers to pay for it. Me on the other hand is saying, lead me, I will help.
Lets say this effort starts for those within a 1 mile radius of your house (start small and then expand with success). Write out a plan, tell me where to be on Sat Morning, I'll be there and dedicate a couple hours a week. IF you've a better plan, I'll follow.
If you admit it or not, you've become successful. I'll follow and help you spread it. I don't, how ever, have the calling to lead it right now.
Lets go man. Practice what ya preach and I'm yours.
@UncleMark don't fall for this. He's just trying to get away from his wife

I actually do spend considerable time working with people who have experienced some of the same difficulties that I have (not necessarily financial). Most don't make it. That doesn't mean I write off those who don't. I just may not be the one they need to hear.

I actually do spend considerable time working with people who have experienced some of the same difficulties that I have (not necessarily financial). Most don't make it. That doesn't mean I write off those who don't. I just may not be the one they need to hear.
Maybe you need a better team behind you.
When do we start?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT