ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you Shaq for calling this schmuck out.

I predict that sooner or later, Lonzo will have a falling out with his dad.

I just read where some sports agent/marketing guy said that this will ultimately end up costing Lonzo a lot of money. He said that a top draft pick can usually sign a shoe deal worth around $2 million a year for something like 5 years. Then, if he's good as advertised, he'd sign a bigger deal. As it stands, he's going to be wearing overpriced shoes that no one wants and making no money off them.

Once he realizes that, I would imagine he isn't going to be happy with ol' dad's business decisions.

He's also putting a lot of pressure on Lonzo to perform. I have no idea how good he really is. What if he's the next Evan Turner instead of the next Lebron? Or Greg Oden? Or Michael Olawakandi? Or Darko Milicic?

Reactions: kkott
I predict that sooner or later, Lonzo will have a falling out with his dad.

I just read where some sports agent/marketing guy said that this will ultimately end up costing Lonzo a lot of money. He said that a top draft pick can usually sign a shoe deal worth around $2 million a year for something like 5 years. Then, if he's good as advertised, he'd sign a bigger deal. As it stands, he's going to be wearing overpriced shoes that no one wants and making no money off them.

Once he realizes that, I would imagine he isn't going to be happy with ol' dad's business decisions.

He's also putting a lot of pressure on Lonzo to perform. I have no idea how good he really is. What if he's the next Evan Turner instead of the next Lebron? Or Greg Oden? Or Michael Olawakandi? Or Darko Milicic?
Wasn't Lebron's first shoe deal worth $100,000,000? Man, he really lived up to it.

I listened to Lavar on the Lebatard show and I must say while I don't really care for all his antics, not all his business decisions are completely crazy.

1) We wouldn't be talking about these shoes if they were ony $150. He's getting a ton of free marketing/publicity.

2) Every shoe purchased at this point is exactly that, an order. Shoes won't ship until November. They will literally be made to order. There's no pre-manufacturing which means there's no overpriced shoes sitting on a wall in the Foot Locker. There's practically no investment for them to go sour.

3) I suspect if Lonzo does well his rookie year, the shoe companies will come back and knock on their door. Instead of the 2 million a year deal I'm sure it would be for a lot more. It's a gamble, but not a completely horrible bet on his son(s).

As for his other crap and the stupid things he says, I just shake my head.

I listened to Lavar on the Lebatard show and I must say while I don't really care for all his antics, not all his business decisions are completely crazy.

1) We wouldn't be talking about these shoes if they were ony $150. He's getting a ton of free marketing/publicity.

2) Every shoe purchased at this point is exactly that, an order. Shoes won't ship until November. They will literally be made to order. There's no pre-manufacturing which means there's no overpriced shoes sitting on a wall in the Foot Locker. There's practically no investment for them to go sour.

3) I suspect if Lonzo does well his rookie year, the shoe companies will come back and knock on their door. Instead of the 2 million a year deal I'm sure it would be for a lot more. It's a gamble, but not a completely horrible bet on his son(s).

As for his other crap and the stupid things he says, I just shake my head.
Yep, it's a gamble on his part, but if Lonzo is the real deal it will pay off. This will be fun to watch from a business perspective. People may be calling him a marketing genius in a few years. Regardless of what happens, he's a douche.

Reactions: MtPeter04 and kkott

You know Shaq is trying to jump on this social media storm that is the Ball Brand. You know they trend everything they do and Shaq was once with Reebok with a big shoe deal and now is at KMart selling shoes no one buys. He is clearly trying to cash in. He tried selling his shoes and no one bought them.

He is literally a walking Wal-Mart billboard with Icy-Hot, Goldbon and The General. I don't like the Ball family but Shaq would sell anything to jump up and make some money. He didn't choose to sell sneakers at Wal-Mart because he wanted to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT