ADVERTISEMENT

Tevin Coleman to the Niners

watched him numerous times with the Falcons.

always a total head scratcher for me how he wasn't their #1 back.

i guess their other back must have been considered a greatly superior blocker, as TC was clearly the better back.

i guess their other back must have been considered a greatly superior blocker, as TC was clearly the better back.
Hmmm . . . well, it depends on how you look at it.

Coleman was kind of a one-and-a-half trick pony for the Falcons. He was a stellar plant-and-go back in the outside zone blocking scheme, and if he had open space in front of him when he caught a pass he was good for a spectacular catch/run.

That said, he was an average pass blocking back, and led the NFL in carries resulting in a loss. He never moved a pile, and he had an issue with balance - if he got arm tackled he typically went down.

Devonte Freeman could plant and go, plus he was shifty between the tackles . . . his problem has been that he can't stay healthy. Watch for the Falcons to draft a running back . . . . They've just signed two OL (guards) and a blocking tight end to shore up the running game. They'll need a 3rd back to play behind Freeman and Ito Smith.

Coleman, while an effective back when he's had good, consistent blocking, would have been too expensive for the Falcons to re-sign with Freeman already getting paid over a long-term contract. And the value in his game just wasn't sufficient to merit the Falcons paying him even what the 49ers paid him.

i disagree. the other short back, his name is freeman i think, was fantastic. he broke a lot of tackles. no clear superiority there

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT