ADVERTISEMENT

Team threatening to leave, still a fan?

comfortliving

Junior
Jul 18, 2005
With the NFL owners holding St Louis/Oakland/San Diego hostage and basically saying "Hey, were looking around and if we don't find anything better we'll stay here". Yeah, lovely Would you still be a fan if:

A. The team left for a different city (ie would you move from STL Rams to being an LA Ram fan?
B. The team tried to leave, couldn't then slumped back (ie San Diego saying we'll stay 1 more year til we can see what other options we have)

Would you still be a fan? Not me, zero chance. I used to be a diehard IU Basketball fan, literally scheduled my life around games but CTC ruined that forever and now the only sport I follow is NFL and the Colts. Been watching them since 95 and season ticket holder for 12 years.

If Irsay did what Kronke did and moved I'd just be apathetic with the NFL like I am now with IU Basketball. If he "looked around" then slumped back and decided to "stay for another year" I'd cancel my tickets instantly, never attend another game or purchase another Colts thing. Ever.

To me, it's like your girlfriend saying she's gonna look around for a month and if she's doesn't find anyone better she'll get back with you. Yeah fvcking right. You'd have to have no balls to take someone like that back and that's how I feel about these NFL teams LA-baiting their cities. Maybe I'm just to much on loyalty but no way I'd be a fan if my teams owner pulled that shit. Zero. Would you?

I'm pretty much done with the NFL. Watched a total of probably 3 full games' worth this season, and that counts the 2 games I got free Colts' tickets for. I regret spending the money to travel and eat there on such a chitty product.

I'm pretty much done with the NFL. Watched a total of probably 3 full games' worth this season, and that counts the 2 games I got free Colts' tickets for. I regret spending the money to travel and eat there on such a chitty product.
That is about what I have watched, and all three of those were playoff games.

With the NFL owners holding St Louis/Oakland/San Diego hostage and basically saying "Hey, were looking around and if we don't find anything better we'll stay here". Yeah, lovely Would you still be a fan if:

A. The team left for a different city (ie would you move from STL Rams to being an LA Ram fan?
B. The team tried to leave, couldn't then slumped back (ie San Diego saying we'll stay 1 more year til we can see what other options we have)

Would you still be a fan? Not me, zero chance. I used to be a diehard IU Basketball fan, literally scheduled my life around games but CTC ruined that forever and now the only sport I follow is NFL and the Colts. Been watching them since 95 and season ticket holder for 12 years.

If Irsay did what Kronke did and moved I'd just be apathetic with the NFL like I am now with IU Basketball. If he "looked around" then slumped back and decided to "stay for another year" I'd cancel my tickets instantly, never attend another game or purchase another Colts thing. Ever.

To me, it's like your girlfriend saying she's gonna look around for a month and if she's doesn't find anyone better she'll get back with you. Yeah fvcking right. You'd have to have no balls to take someone like that back and that's how I feel about these NFL teams LA-baiting their cities. Maybe I'm just to much on loyalty but no way I'd be a fan if my teams owner pulled that shit. Zero. Would you?

Can't imagine anyone remaining a fan unless they had family on the team. I remember when the Colts move to Indy, my friends Dad owned a carpet business and a Baltimore supplier he'd worked with for years prior refused to talk to him. Think you put that team on a shelf and find a new one or wait to get another. Not that I was a big fan, but when the Hornets moved to New Orleans, I didn't follow them at all. Wouldn't say I hated them, but thought the owner was a dbag. Definitely no longer rooted for them.

Like booyah, I am done. Rapists, roids, Jerry Jones, moving teams, using taxpayers' money for stadiums ,etc etc.

Like most of the wealthy in this country, the NFL is a collection of parasitic leaches. I'm not subsidizing it with my time or money. I think this is the first time in my life I do not even own an article of clothing with an NFL logo on it.

Reactions: PtownHoosier
OOps. Meant No to the question would I still be a fan.

Overall the NFL bores me. NHL has slowly become my favorite. Admittedly, aside from the team I follow, I don't know players on other teams as well as I do, say in baseball or football, but the product is much more fun to watch.

I will still watch the Colts but unlike in the past, I won't just sit down and watch a random NFL game unless it is a "big game".

Last edited:
Reactions: burnthemallralphie

If the Colts left, I wouldn't follow them. I would go back to liking teams based on players I liked to watch play. If I had to pick a team other than the Colts, I would probably pick Arizona because I like their defense, Fitzgerald and Coach Arians.

Our local minor league hockey team is moving 30 miles to Owensboro, Ky next year. The owner also owns the Ellis Park Horse Track and has threatened to shut it down in the past. The owner seems sleazy and the negotiations with the city didn't seem genuine. I am glad he is leaving the 9,000 seat Ford Center built with hockey in mind for an old basketball gym in Kensucky that they will have to add an ice floor to somehow. From what I hear, people are planning to stay away for the rest of the year as the team sucks and they are pissed. This will hurt concession revenue more than ticket sales as most tickets are corporate purchased or already pre-purchased. The city has been in talks with other teams and I would expect fans will follow the new team.

Here in Pitt, we almost lost the Pens 7-8 years ago. I had talked to others about it and most people I knew were going to give up NHL.
I knew a few people who were going to follow another team because they had a connection. No one was going to stay a Pens fan if they were in another city.

Good friend of mine is from St. Louis and has decided to remain a Rams fan - this despite him living in Milwaukee now and for the foreseeable future, being married to a Packers fan, and being given the perfect out to jump ship from a dysfunctional NFL franchise to one that actually has its shit together. I guess he still feels investment from 20 years of fandom and doesn't want to give it up. Plus, I think its easier in this circumstance to look at Kroenke not as the face of ownership but a rich ahole who came in and hijacked the team.

So it was okay when the Colts left Baltimore (under cover of darkness) for Indy (was my fair hometown "Indy-bait"???), but if Irsay leaves Indy (or considers leaving Indy), you're done.

Perfect.

Reactions: sluggo69
The Colts should move back to Baltimore.
The Raiders should stay in Oakland.
The Rams should be in LA.
The Cardinals should be in St. Louis.
Then see if there are folks who want franchises elsewhere.
If Phoenix and Indy want teams, expand again.

Off my damn lawn

The Colts should move back to Baltimore.
The Raiders should stay in Oakland.
The Rams should be in LA.
The Cardinals should be in St. Louis.
Then see if there are folks who want franchises elsewhere.
If Phoenix and Indy want teams, expand again.

Off my damn lawn
So then the Cardinals should actually be in Chicago, and the Rams should be in Cleveland. NOW we got us a PARTY!!!

Reactions: sluggo69
So it was okay when the Colts left Baltimore (under cover of darkness) for Indy (was my fair hometown "Indy-bait"???), but if Irsay leaves Indy (or considers leaving Indy), you're done.

Perfect.
They left in the cover of darkness because the city was threatening Irsay of claiming eminent domain over the franchise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Colts_relocation_to_Indianapolis

Not 1 owner would have done anything different, other than maybe luck a different city.
Baltimore MD lost the Colts years prior after not wanting to improve the facilities.

They left in the cover of darkness because the city was threatening Irsay of claiming eminent domain over the franchise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Colts_relocation_to_Indianapolis

Not 1 owner would have done anything different, other than maybe luck a different city.
Baltimore MD lost the Colts years prior after not wanting to improve the facilities.
I think all you proved is that franchise owners (regardless of the sport) have been holding cities (and taxpayers) hostage since Ben Hur dominated chariot races in the Colosseum.

TL;DR, but as a person who lives in San Diego, I can tell you that fans are upset that Spanos (the Chargers owner) is trying to leave. Evidently he's the one of the most poor NFL owners, and is just trying to make a buck, but it doesn't justify him threatening to leave San Diego every chance he gets. I thought it was funny how he got screwed over at the NFL owners meetings. There they basically said to him that he could go back to San Diego and work out a deal with the city for a new stadium (not happening), or he could negotiate a lease with Kronke and the Rams. Both of those aren't what he wanted, but living in San Diego, and having this hanging over our heads, it's hard not to laugh. What Spanos doesn't realize is there's 1000x other things to do here, and if the Chargers leave, we'll just spend our money elsewhere.

Edit: I'll still be a Chargers fan if/when they move to LA, but I won't be moved to buy any of their apparel.

Long live Ft. Wayne Zollner Pistons!

zollner_pistons_logo_3.gif

5557746_1_l.jpg

369830745_fa2669f855_z_d.jpg

d4621557f833293286ef3e17dda7ff7d.jpg

Both the Rams and Raiders have built in fan bases in LA since they were once there. I know there were plenty of Rams fans in LA that stayed Rams fans, even during their STL hiatus. Now they feel like they are getting their team back.

TL;DR, but as a person who lives in San Diego, I can tell you that fans are upset that Spanos (the Chargers owner) is trying to leave. Evidently he's the one of the most poor NFL owners, and is just trying to make a buck, but it doesn't justify him threatening to leave San Diego every chance he gets. I thought it was funny how he got screwed over at the NFL owners meetings. There they basically said to him that he could go back to San Diego and work out a deal with the city for a new stadium (not happening), or he could negotiate a lease with Kronke and the Rams. Both of those aren't what he wanted, but living in San Diego, and having this hanging over our heads, it's hard not to laugh. What Spanos doesn't realize is there's 1000x other things to do here, and if the Chargers leave, we'll just spend our money elsewhere.

Edit: I'll still be a Chargers fan if/when they move to LA, but I won't be moved to buy any of their apparel.

I don't think I'd use poor and NFL owners in the same sentence, lol.

Don't blame you in SD though. If I lived there and were a Charger's fan I probably wouldn't be one anymore after all this fiasco. But for as bad as Spanos got screwed, how about Mark Davis? His situation is even more desperate than SDs and they basically told him to go pound sand and wait till Spanos decides what he wants to do. Sloppy thirds in that whole relocation 3-way. Edit: I think they're making Davis pay for the sins of his father.

Reactions: Raider Dave

Irsay "floated" the idea of leaving for LA before Lucas Oil. I wish he had gone and said so at the time.

I'm adamantly opposed to publicly paying for new stadiums.

Perfect.

Not sure how that is Indy fans' fault. I doubt many Baltimore fans remained loyal.

for what it's worth, I don't remember any Cleveland Browns fans becoming Baltimore Ravens fans back in the 90s. Quite the opposite really. I still think there is a faction of Cleveland fans that still curse Art Modell's memory. The fact that the Browns became the Ravens and won at a high level is just a mound of salt in that wound.

That's a nice piece of revisionist history for all the idiots involved, including Fred Glass. Irsay didn't level the threat (he's too dumb and didn't have the funds), but the NFL sure as hell did. It says that right in there. Funny thing is that the NFL is going to get the draft, which is probably about as big as your average single game.

Irsay "floated" the idea of leaving for LA before Lucas Oil. I wish he had gone and said so at the time.

Not sure how that is Indy fans' fault. I doubt many Baltimore fans remained loyal.
Oh, totally agree. It's pretty common knowledge that having an NFL team doesn't pay off at least financially. I can only assume it's an ego thing from politicians and not a true math decision.

Even though I was a big Colts fan and season ticket holder, I always thought it was a royal crock that everyone in and around Indy had to eat a tax increase because Irsay/NFL wanted a pretty new stadium. I'm surprised more people who didn't care about the Colts didn't raise hell. If they wanted to raise my taxes for, say a new Soccer stadium I'd be pissed especially since these things are notoriously just a drain and not profitable for the city

Well .....
Irsay's dad did to Baltimore what this poster is saying would sever his ties - forever. Yet he roots for the Indianapolis Colts, apparently with gusto. I know I'm probably reading too much into it, but that seems to maybe, just maybe, be a double standard.

Reactions: hoosierdug
Oh, totally agree. It's pretty common knowledge that having an NFL team doesn't pay off at least financially. I can only assume it's an ego thing from politicians and not a true math decision.

Even though I was a big Colts fan and season ticket holder, I always thought it was a royal crock that everyone in and around Indy had to eat a tax increase because Irsay/NFL wanted a pretty new stadium. I'm surprised more people who didn't care about the Colts didn't raise hell. If they wanted to raise my taxes for, say a new Soccer stadium I'd be pissed especially since these things are notoriously just a drain and not profitable for the city
There've been a number of studies done that show that stadiums are a HUUUUUUUGE drain on everyone - except the owners of the teams. And the lawyers, of course.

If you were the better guy she found the first time she pulled this $hit, should you really be surprised when it happens again? Whores are gonna be whores.

Well .....

Irsay's dad did to Baltimore what this poster is saying would sever his ties - forever. Yet he roots for the Indianapolis Colts, apparently with gusto. I know I'm probably reading too much into it, but that seems to maybe, just maybe, be a double standard.
Yes, you are certainly looking way too much into this. I actually don't care that much about watching sports anymore and the Colts are basically my last tie. Still, my interest on a 1 to 10 scale in 2005 was a 10. This year? Maybe a 4, probably less and it declines every year. If/when I have kids that'll be it, no way I'd miss a second with them to watch a damn sporting even so yeah, you are looking too far into it. I was mostly asking to see what people thought, not because the answer is my whole life or anything.

The older I get (33 now) the more stupid I think it is that grown adult men obsess over other grown men. I mean seriously, how can a grown 50 something year old man like Outside Shooter be SO ridiculously obsessed over a damn NFL game/team/player. Have you ever seen how much info he has about every Patriot/Colt anything? It's insane and he just lives it like it's real life. It's not, in the end it's a pathetic game that runs his real life and many others. It's truly pathetic.

As much as I loved IU Basketball, and it was a passion, I don't miss it at all. And while I don't hate IU I do hate Tom Crean. He's a POS and I hope he crashes and burns and he will. I"ll enjoy every minute of that trainwreck but I don't watch a game to get that enjoyment. Plenty here

Reactions: ovaltine

Not sure how long you have lived in San Diego..I have been here since the 70's...I don't fully blame the Chargers for this situation..I blame city management for bungling the new stadium issue for many years..a new stadium has been talked about for 10-15 years to my recollection..every mayor and administration just kicked the can down the road...Qualcomm Stadium is a dump..I can't blame Spanos for looking around..having said that I hope the fact that it is now a real reality that they may leave will kick start some type of agreement on a new stadium...

Well .....

I don't see it that way. Almost every Colts fan in Indiana had a favorite team other than the Colts. I didn't warm up to the Colts until the late 80's. If the Colts leave, I will eventually find a team to follow, or maybe not. I might follow the team for a while until the the personnel changes enough that I no longer care. For now and at least while they stay in Indy, I will follow the team and go to an occasional game.

If the Colts weren't in Indiana, I'd still be a Cowboys fan. I was for several years until the Colts came to town. After going to games over the years, I just started rooting for them. If the Colts left, I'd likely go back to being a Cowboys fan.

I don't mind the NFL really, though it's rigged and brutal. It is entertainment. I don't get into the fantasy and betting anymore though. I'm just a fan that watches for the enjoyment of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT