ADVERTISEMENT

Taylor is the B1G Freshman of the Week for the third time...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
He probably could have been named that a couple of other times, but they probably like to spread it around with other players. It was going to be hard to ignore Taylor after the week he had last week. He had four multi-hit games last week with three multi-RBI games, and he had the GS in the DH at Illinois on Saturday. I've said it before and I will say it again, we are fortunate that Taylor showed up on campus instead of being in the minor leagues right now. However, if he keeps putting up numbers like he has, he will have enhanced his draft position immeasurably by the time he is eligible, so deciding to play for IU first is probably going to end up being a wise decision for him.

Here are Taylor's numbers for last week:

He was 9 for 20, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 3 homers to include the GS, 10 RBIs, 2 Ks, 1 BB. His wOBA was .721.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Will he be at IU until he is a going into his Senior year or will he be eligible to be drafted by this Summer. I thought the rules used to be you can go straight from HS or you have to wait until the end of your 3rd year if you go the College route. College ball should be attractive to kids over the grind of the Minor leagues. I guess it depends on your family/financial situation.

Will he be at IU until he is a going into his Senior year or will he be eligible to be drafted by this Summer. I thought the rules used to be you can go straight from HS or you have to wait until the end of your 3rd year if you go the College route. College ball should be attractive to kids over the grind of the Minor leagues. I guess it depends on your family/financial situation.
As far as I know, and I'm certainly no expert on the matter, but a player that elects to go to college becomes eligible after their third year as you just indicated, or upon turning 21 whichever happens first. I don't know if the 21-age factor is for being at that age before the draft or during the year of the draft.

If you are a highly rated player coming out of high school, it can certainly be a detriment to some players that don't want to wait three years of playing in college (or the 21 age factor), but many, and I assume Taylor considered it, it gives you the chance to develop your game and elevate your draft status and possibly be a first rounder or close to it ($$$$$$.)

As far as I know, and I'm certainly no expert on the matter, but a player that elects to go to college becomes eligible after their third year as you just indicated, or upon turning 21 whichever happens first. I don't know if the 21-age factor is for being at that age before the draft or during the year of the draft.

If you are a highly rated player coming out of high school, it can certainly be a detriment to some players that don't want to wait three years of playing in college (or the 21 age factor), but many, and I assume Taylor considered it, it gives you the chance to develop your game and elevate your draft status and possibly be a first rounder or close to it ($$$$$$.)
I might add that Nebraska's Max Anderson had a huge freshman year and was the B1G Freshman of the Year, and is now in his third year in the program and has really elevated his status for the upcoming draft. He will certainly go high in the draft and I see Taylor being the same level of player.

I might add that Nebraska's Max Anderson had a huge freshman year and was the B1G Freshman of the Year, and is now in his third year in the program and has really elevated his status for the upcoming draft. He will certainly go high in the draft and I see Taylor being the same level of player.
Perfect Game projects Devin as a first rounder in ‘25.

Reactions: ptrich
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT