ADVERTISEMENT

Taboo Topic

Win out. Go to bowl. Extend Tom.

• Absolutely!

• Gotta take the bad with the good.

• Hell no, he’s gotta go!

• Honestly can’t decide if it’s worth it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
That’s not the “contract” I’m talking about.

Yes, the 2021 contract “started the clock” again on the buyout (as I’ve been saying for weeks)—that’s why the current buyout is $20.8 million, I.e., 100% of remaining guaranteed compensation since there are still more than 3 years left on the contract (3 years left being the point when IU becomes obligated for only 50% of the remaining compensation).

My point, which is now moot after today’s loss, was that, had IU won out and made a bowl game, Allen’s resulting new contract (effectively for years 2022-2028) might’ve made the buyout clock start over AGAIN so that the $7.9 million figure wouldn’t have come into effect until December of 2025 instead of December of 2024.

And that’s not even taking into account the possibility of Dolson giving Allen another raise in that scenario, which would’ve made both the $20.8 Mil and the $7.9 Mil numbers higher.
I know what you’ve been saying about the “clock” but it’s incorrect.

The buyout language is for comp from year 1 through year 7.

Any additional year(s) added would be paid in full.

I do not believe that is the case but I will try to get a closer look tomorrow.
The sad irony is that the 2019 contract that Dolson replaced in 2021 had the buyout numbers reversed: 1st 3 years 100% guaranteed, last 4 years 50% guaranteed. If Dolson had left it that way instead of changing it to 1st 4 years 100% guaranteed and last 3 years 50%, the current buyout would only be half as big as it actually is.

I know what you’ve been saying about the “clock” but it’s incorrect.

The buyout language is for comp from year 1 through year 7.

Any additional year(s) added would be paid in full.
Then my assumption would be that the buyout language in the 2019 contract was rewritten and replaced in the 2021 contract beyond simply reversing the “100% and “50%” portions of it.

As I mentioned earlier, it’s all moot now after today’s loss. And unless Dolson can find about twice as many donors wanting to replace Allen as he found wanting to replace Archie, I guess we’ll have to wait another 12 months for the $7.9 million.

Or maybe hope for a negotiated settlement, unlikely as that might be.

Last edited:
Then my assumption would be that the buyout language in the 2019 contract was rewritten and replaced in the 2021 contract beyond simply reversing the “100% and “50%” portions of it.

As I mentioned earlier, it’s all moot now after today’s loss. And unless Dolson can find about twice as many donors wanting to replace Allen as he found wanting to replace Archie, I guess we’ll have to wait another 12 months for the $7.9 million.

Or maybe hope for a negotiated settlement, unlikely as that might be.
He effectively shackled himself to Allen and if he can’t find a way to saw through the chain he is going down with him.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
It'd sabotage the program, but if they can't get Allen to agree to a longer term payout, or whatever restructuring Dolson needs to make the move, then Dolson should announce that he's getting rid of Allen but since Allen won't renegotiate they'll have to wait until next winter to do it.

Call a spade a spade. The program would clearly be better off anyway pretty quickly, and they'll have a full year to find the right guy.

I know the argument is nobody would hire on for that sort of boss. Which is true. So I know it's stupid. Just feeling spiteful since Allen himself never takes any responsibility, and I am beginning to feel he is unethical because of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT