ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Alford WILL be introduced as the Head Coach

Of Indiana University following UCLA's completion of the NCAA tournament. Wether it be Monday or the following weekend.
My suggestion to the sour few on here, start preparing yourself. Start practicing some respect towards the man or find some new colors to wear.
I can only hope that once its final, all the derogatory disgusting comments being made will start being monitored and not tolerated on here.

Interesting perspective. Are you one of the moderators?

Of Indiana University following UCLA's completion of the NCAA tournament. Wether it be Monday or the following weekend.
My suggestion to the sour few on here, start preparing yourself. Start practicing some respect towards the man or find some new colors to wear.
I can only hope that once its final, all the derogatory disgusting comments being made will start being monitored and not tolerated on here.
I don't think you'll need to worry about that as most of those posters will likely find other leisurely pursuits that easily replace their IU fandom.

Wrong...

LOL. Thanks, dakich.
Do the math Einstein. IU fans that belong to message boards (numerator) / Total IU fans (denominator). A low estimate of total IU fans could be 1,000,000 fans (casual and intense). 5% of 1,000,000 is 50,000, which is likely well in excess of the FANATICS that post on message boards. Just like Iowa, NM and UCLA, there will likely be some protests that get a couple weeks of media coverage. Alford and the University will release statements, the media will get board and move on to something else and Alford can focus on coaching.

That being said, I have no desire to test this theory because I think ther are better candidates.

Reactions: snarlcakes
Do the math Einstein. IU fans that belong to message boards (numerator) / Total IU fans (denominator). A low estimate of total IU fans could be 1,000,000 fans (casual and intense). 5% of 1,000,000 is 50,000, which is likely well in excess of the FANATICS that post on message boards. Just like Iowa, NM and UCLA, there will likely be some protests that get a couple weeks of media coverage. Alford and the University will release statements, the media will get board and move on to something else and Alford can focus on coaching.

That being said, I have no desire to test this theory because I think ther are better candidates.

Your math may be somewhere in the ballpark, but, D.D. assumptions about the 95% casual fan being in favor of Steve Alford is faulty since their voice is not being heard. It is based on pure speculation. If he is saying 95% of the fan base is casual and will not care if Steve is named head coach, it can also be said they will NOT care if he is NOT named head coach as well. Another point being is, Assembly Hall holds around 17,000 plus. Not sure about the exact number but I think it is in the high 17,000. That being said it is my belief that a lot of those seats are being filled by the 5% (50,000) fanatic fan base.

I am not an internet poster. I only searched out this message board via google (came up on top) because of the recent firing of Tom Cream as I did several years ago when Sampson got fired. When the dust settles, I will go back to my normal routine, which does not include posting. Talking to fellow fans that I know, (as far as I know they are not active on message boards either), does NOT want Steve Alford as the next coach.

Reactions: 76-1
The "sour few"? I guess that is a relative term. It is a few, in say....terms of the entire population of the world.

I think you are right.

But you haven't seen sh*t yet when it comes to derogatory comments about him. Sorry.

It won't just be 75% of the fan base that is pissed either. The local media is going to go nuts on iu regarding the rape stuff.

Then you guys should go tell your local and other media to go screw themselves. It boggles the mind, honestly. That a coach like Tom Osborne can put player like Lawrence Phillips back on his football team, a player that savagely dragged a female Nebraska student down 3 flights of stairs, smashed her head against a mailbox, lucky she wasn't killed, for the purpose of playing in one game that would help him win a national title and further his legacy as a great cornhusker coach, all while similarly hiding behind the curtain of being a good Christian, while Lawrence Phillips would go on to commit further and much, much worse crimes - eventually murder - and yet never has Osborne's integrity been fouled. The only difference, is that Osborne was smart enough to make sure that it was only for one game that Phillips would be allowed to play for Nebraska, coerced him to the nfl draft immediately after, proving that his remarks of wanting to provide structure to poor Lawrence through the cornhusker football program was all bullshit, and eventually his crimes would escalate, a murderer to become, now dead. Osborne a saint he remains. While Alford can't live past anything.

I wish there were a way that OKC would get eliminated before UCLA.

Sad day for the future of IU to make a lateral or backwards coaching change. Old players don't bring championships- young players relating to coaches does and Alford has struggled with this for years. It is going to be harder to get players to IU than UCLA

Then you guys should go tell your local and other media to go screw themselves. It boggles the mind, honestly. That a coach like Tom Osborne can put player like Lawrence Phillips back on his football team, a player that savagely dragged a female Nebraska student down 3 flights of stairs, smashed her head against a mailbox, lucky she wasn't killed, for the purpose of playing in one game that would help him win a national title and further his legacy as a great cornhusker coach, all while similarly hiding behind the curtain of being a good Christian, while Lawrence Phillips would go on to commit further and much, much worse crimes - eventually murder - and yet never has Osborne's integrity been fouled. The only difference, is that Osborne was smart enough to make sure that it was only for one game that Phillips would be allowed to play for Nebraska, coerced him to the nfl draft immediately after, proving that his remarks of wanting to provide structure to poor Lawrence through the cornhusker football program was all bullshit, and eventually his crimes would escalate, a murderer to become, now dead. Osborne a saint he remains. While Alford can't live past anything.

Osborne to this day continues to pay the price and Nebraska has never been the same since they went down that road.

I don't disrespect him. I just think he's a mediocre basketball coach -- and I'm tired of IU having mediocre basketball coaches.

It's no more complicated than that. If he gets the job (as I've long suspected he will), I'll support him and the team and hope for the best....but I won't be expecting the best.
Alford isn't among my top realistic choices. I worry like others that he really hasn't accomplished anything at a level we want to consistently compete at despite a long time coaching. Would a young and talented coach at a mid major be less of a risk than someone with 20+ years of D1 experience? I wouldn't take a chance on either without a Final 4 or Elite 8 in their resume.

I do believe he can do a better job of keeping talent in the state than Crean and maybe better than some of the other candidates. Is he enough of an upgrade to put us pack among the elite every year. I don't think so, but it would be special if we could hang a 6th banner with a coach like Alford That possibility is the only reason I would have for picking Alford. If I want to make sure we get there, I am going hard for Donovan if he actually is interested, then Marshall, and then the field is packed close together after that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

tumblr_mcogj7C5lm1r6h22v.gif

Reactions: outside shooter
IU reached out to Alford and confirmed that he was the guy months before Crean was fired. That was it for Crean, IU had their guy. IU balked at the end and Steve, as anyone would gave them the finger. End of story.
With that said, I am happy about Archie, disappointed that it's not Alford but I believe Miller is a hell of a coach. Time will tell.

IU reached out to Alford and confirmed that he was the guy months before Crean was fired. That was it for Crean, IU had their guy. IU balked at the end and Steve, as anyone would gave them the finger. End of story.
With that said, I am happy about Archie, disappointed that it's not Alford but I believe Miller is a hell of a coach. Time will tell.

LOL. Fantasy

You were partially correct.

Indiana did hire a new coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT