ADVERTISEMENT

Stat of the day: notable for TJD , Kopp, Galloway

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
TJD needs 7 points to pass his coach for 5th all-time at Indiana. He will likely move pass AJ guyton for 4th before the regular season ends.

Trayce needs 4 blocks to reach 250.

Miller Kopp will start his 136th career game against Illinois. The Inndiana record for career games PLAYED is 137.

Trey Galloway is quietly scorching the nets from distance this season. Now at 0.500 he is top 5 in the conference and really only trails Seth Lundy from Penn State if volume was a little higher. Perhaps this will give someone enough incentive to set a screen for the kid.

What an improvement for Trey from distance from last season especially considering how many more minutes he’s logging this season.
Hard for me to think of a guy as a great shooter when you have to round up to get him to 70% from the FT line. He shoots the same from the line as TJD. But, you can't argue with the fact that he's improved his shooting as much in one season as anyone I can remember. Hope he keeps his 3 pt shooting up, but gets that FT percentage up around 80% where it should be for great shooters.

...now if he'd just get his hands up on defense!

Last edited:
Agree on Trey, remember how everybody counted him out this summer based on what he had done up to that point? I don’t think of Trey as a great shooter more of an opportunist shooter. The great shooters we have had would let it fly with no fear or conscience. Trey isn’t always looking to shoot the 3 where others have.

Agree on Trey, remember how everybody counted him out this summer based on what he had done up to that point? I don’t think of Trey as a great shooter more of an opportunist shooter. The great shooters we have had would let it fly with no fear or conscience. Trey isn’t always looking to shoot the 3 where others have.
Very true. Still, even with a relatively low number of 3FG attempts, his shooting improvement has been a very pleasant surprise.

2020-2021: 6-33 (18%)
2021-2022: 6-28 (21%)
2022-2023: 21-42 (50%)

Hard for me to think of a guy as a great shooter when you have to round up to get him to 70% from the FT line. He shoots the same from the line as TJD. But, you can't argue with the fact that he's improved as much in one season as anyone I can remember. Hope he keeps his 3 pt shooting up, but gets that FT percentage up around 80% where it should be for great shooters.
But he hit FT's when they matter... I know they always matter. But he's been money with end of game FT's. TJD shits the bed in crunch time from the line... really the only thing to complain about of his game all season.

But he hit FT's when they matter... I know they always matter. But he's been money with end of game FT's. TJD shits the bed in crunch time from the line... really the only thing to complain about of his game all season.
seems like Race has as well. Oddly, I think it's the only part of his game that might've improved since he's come back.

Reactions: 8Stars5Banners
I think of TG as someone who really helps keep defenders honest on TJD in the post. He's not necessarily looking to take bad shots but if you cheat off of him he'll make 'em pay.

I think free throw rates and % is not always linked to being a great shooter. It counts but IMHO not as much as hitting shots from the field.

TJD needs 7 points to pass his coach for 5th all-time at Indiana. He will likely move pass AJ guyton for 4th before the regular season ends.

Trayce needs 4 blocks to reach 250.

Miller Kopp will start his 136th career game against Illinois. The Inndiana record for career games PLAYED is 137.

Trey Galloway is quietly scorching the nets from distance this season. Now at 0.500 he is top 5 in the conference and really only trails Seth Lundy from Penn State if volume was a little higher. Perhaps this will give someone enough incentive to set a screen for the kid.
One: Trey does run through some screens, quit ball watching and pay attention. It's just not RMK motion.

Two: most teams would just switch the screen. Though that puts the defense to choice, which is what you want, It also brings a secondary defender into the area and can ruin spacing. There is no full proof method to get someone open, there's always a counter and everything comes with a weakness.

Three: Except PnR, like Chuck Daily said, there's 6 ways to defend a PnR, none of them work. You probably think that only means the ballhander and roller, but it also creates more success per possession for the guys on the wings because the PnR can cause rotation. If ran correctly it creates an open shot every time. This is why there's always a guy standing in the corner, to space to floor on that side and make the defense gamble if they want to send that defender.

Four: he's not the primary or even secondary option, unless as a ballhanlder on PnR where he can get to his floater. When not, there's better options on the floor with him, and teams don't tend to run actions focused on their 4th or 5th option, instead going to their primary options whose success rate is far higher. Trey's success rate on threes is a direct byproduct of that. He gets wide open looks .. because of Jalen and TJD who draw the defensive attention.

The most successful play in basketball per possession is the corner three after a penetration on a PnR and kick out. Generally to a guy just standing there ..

The 90's are over ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Beorik
One: Trey does run through some screens, quit ball watching and pay attention. It's just not RMK motion.

Two: most teams would just switch the screen. Though that puts the defense to choice, which is what you want, It also brings a secondary defender into the area and can ruin spacing. There is no full proof method to get someone open, there's always a counter and everything comes with a weakness.

Three: Except PnR, like Chuck Daily said, there's 6 ways to defend a PnR, none of them work. You probably think that only means the ballhander and roller, but it also creates more success per possession for the guys on the wings because the PnR can cause rotation. If ran correctly it creates an open shot every time. This is why there's always a guy standing in the corner, to space to floor on that side and make the defense gamble if they want to send that defender.

Four: he's not the primary or even secondary option, unless as a ballhanlder on PnR where he can get to his floater. When not, there's better options on the floor with him, and teams don't tend to run actions focused on their 4th or 5th option, instead going to their primary options whose success rate is far higher. Trey's success rate on threes is a direct byproduct of that. He gets wide open looks .. because of Jalen and TJD who draw the defensive attention.

The most successful play in basketball per possession is the corner three after a penetration on a PnR and kick out. Generally to a guy just standing there ..

The 90's are over ...
Agree completely. I love how our offense looks under Woody and I think it will get better after we stop having 4 rotation players all with the game of a 90s center.

Imo our biggest issue on offense is not having anyone besides tjd who can reliably get his own shot when the offense breaks down and shot clock is under 10. JHS is the closest thing we have to that now but imo hasn’t developed his game enough yet to do it at a high %. X was the guy with his quickness he could get a shot at the rim or open 15 footer without a pick and roll needing to be set. Unfortunately he has been hurt. Next year it looks like a lot of pressure will be on Bates and Reneau to run a lot of pick and rolls. But I have some hope that continued development of Galloway, Banks, and Gunn will make them solid contributors to our offense next year.

Reactions: asindc
"Miller Kopp will start his 136th career game against Illinois." I knew he had been around a long time! It probably seems that many to Illinois. Boy that really is a record! LOL Down goes Jess Settles!!!

"Miller Kopp will start his 136th career game against Illinois." I knew he had been around a long time! It probably seems that many to Illinois. Boy that really is a record! LOL Down goes Jess Settles!!!
5th year players stats just can't count. Need an asterisk, or only list their stats for their first 4 years or something.

5th year players stats just can't count. Need an asterisk, or only list their stats for their first 4 years or something.
Agreed. I know he’s not coming back, but as great as TJD has been, if he came back next year and shattered every record including CC’s record it would be quite a shame

Reactions: Crayfish57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT