ADVERTISEMENT

Stat of the day: Miller Kopp

Another way to look at it... there are 70 starters in the conference. Kopp is 69th in points scored.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
He is so bad, but has a sweet podcast.

Had a feeling some guys on this team would flop. X was starting to prove me wrong, now they’re facing the NIT.

Seriously think they should kick the guys with multiple suspensions off. This shit is ridiculous.

He is so bad, but has a sweet podcast.

Had a feeling some guys on this team would flop. X was starting to prove me wrong, now they’re facing the NIT.

Seriously think they should kick the guys with multiple suspensions off. This shit is ridiculous.
At this point does it really matter. Woodson might as well make a statement. The guys doing it right cant be happy with durr,etc. Now woodson did recruit these guys so its on him to fix it.

Stat of the day: 5 players suspended after quitting on their teammates
Durr needs
to be gone for sure. Stewart will and X will graduate. Lander and bates who knows but both should maybe leave. Neither is that impressive anyway.

Reactions: Tegray1
We all want more out of Kopp, I know I do. That being said, he is a Hoosier and I still root for him. He seems to be a good person and teammate, unlike 5 other guys who weren’t available to help the team tonight.

No one ever thought he was a lottery pick, just a piece of the puzzle to build a better team. He is in a season long shooting slump. I’m in a career long golfing slump but I keep trying. I hope he keeps grinding and helps us win a few games down the stretch.

I don't like bashing a kid the same night when five of his teammates were suspended. And to be fair, there isn't a lot of movement in this offense. It seems like if you want a shot, you have to create it on your own. That's not his game.

Kopp had a real chance to get the monkey off his back last night....unfortunately, things just seemed to get worse. Tough night for him on both ends. Without good guard play and quick movement, there really wasn't much chance for him to get any open looks last night. And he clanged the ones he got (sans for one lone basket).

The two guys I'm most pissed off at are X and Durr. Look how much Durr played in the IL first half....and against Purdue. He may not pack the stat sheet but his availability is critical. TJD (who I think still isn't 100% after his fall) and Race were spent during crunch time last night and that's on Durr.

As for X...the moment Rob went down, and with Lander rotting on the bench all yr, X had to know that it's 'his team' now, from a PG standpoint. He really let the team down yesterday. So much so that CMW had to ask TG to do something he's never done at this level- play an entire 40 min game as our point guard.

As for the other 3 (Stew, KL and Bates)....these three are players who are struggling to prove they even belong at this level. So they did themselves no favors yesterday. Lander and Bates especially.....both could have seen 20-25 min last night. They'll be lucky to see that much combined the rest of the season.

Kudos to CMW for sticking to his values.

At least he didn't pull tubes on game day and miss a must win.

There's plenty of time to party after the game, boys. Hippy 101.

Kopp had a real chance to get the monkey off his back last night....unfortunately, things just seemed to get worse. Tough night for him on both ends. Without good guard play and quick movement, there really wasn't much chance for him to get any open looks last night. And he clanged the ones he got (sans for one lone basket).

The two guys I'm most pissed off at are X and Durr. Look how much Durr played in the IL first half....and against Purdue. He may not pack the stat sheet but his availability is critical. TJD (who I think still isn't 100% after his fall) and Race were spent during crunch time last night and that's on Durr.

As for X...the moment Rob went down, and with Lander rotting on the bench all yr, X had to know that it's 'his team' now, from a PG standpoint. He really let the team down yesterday. So much so that CMW had to ask TG to do something he's never done at this level- play an entire 40 min game as our point guard.

As for the other 3 (Stew, KL and Bates)....these three are players who are struggling to prove they even belong at this level. So they did themselves no favors yesterday. Lander and Bates especially.....both could have seen 20-25 min last night. They'll be lucky to see that much combined the rest of the season.

I had a feeling Kopp would flip after seeing the promo for his goofy ass interview.

This is really easy for some of us, very difficult for others

I had a feeling Kopp would flip after seeing the promo for his goofy ass interview.

There are some teams/environments in P5 ball where Kopp could have stepped in, got his 6-8 open looks every game, hit a couple, and been a decent contributor. Unfortunately this is not one of those situations.

But we didn't lose last night because of Kopp. I stand by what I said- this loss falls on X and Durr. More so on X. Much more.

Reactions: Tru2Irish and kkott
There are some teams/environments in P5 ball where Kopp could have stepped in, got his 6-8 open looks every game, hit a couple, and been a decent contributor. Unfortunately this is not one of those situations.

But we didn't lose last night because of Kopp. I stand by what I said- this loss falls on X and Durr. More so on X. Much more.
Win, lose, etc, nothing ever happens because of Kopp. He’s just kind of there.

What did people expect. You don’t get impact players who transfer from Northwestern. It’s not like we got a kid from Duke. Fans pinning hopes on Kopp were going to be in for a reality check with the guy.
Plenty of impact players from lesser programs making a major impact all across college basketball as transfers. I knew you were intolerable, but just stop being dumb. #1 Auburn's starting backcourt came from Eastern Kentucky and Georgia. Baylor's starting SG from Presbyterian. The list goes on.

We all want more out of Kopp, I know I do. That being said, he is a Hoosier and I still root for him. He seems to be a good person and teammate, unlike 5 other guys who weren’t available to help the team tonight.

No one ever thought he was a lottery pick, just a piece of the puzzle to build a better team. He is in a season long shooting slump. I’m in a career long golfing slump but I keep trying. I hope he keeps grinding and helps us win a few games down the stretch.

He's not really in a season-long slump. He's just not very good.

At NW, he shot .431 on 2s, .360 on 3s. At IU, he's at .361 and .373.

Biggest problem with him, at NW and here, is he can't rebound. He's at 4.2 rebs per every 40 minutes played, which is really poor for a 6'7" 4th year player, For comparison's sake, Jerome Hunter averaged 6.0 per every 40 at IU and is averaging 7.7 per every 40 at X (although he's shooting even worse at X than he did at IU). Kopp's inability to rebound on the defensive end is particularly costly, as we saw again last night.

I think Fife wanted him, which is one more reason I'm not sold on Fife as a future HC here. I'd been wondering why he's playing so much, but perhaps last night's events answered that question.

If TJD and Kopp had played worth a crap last night we win, even with all the nonsense going on.

Kopp's greatest contribution to this team was giving its fans preseason hope for a better year through his experience and three point shooting ability. His time has come and gone.

For me, the biggest disappointment has been Bates, who was expected to contribute right away, based upon his high school hype and early Bahamas performance. He can't even seem to get into the flow of the game, let alone contribute anything in a meaningful way, other than giving starters a chance to catch their wind.

This has been a season lacking in luster. I was really hoping Illinois would beat Purdue. The halftime score gave me false hope. It was a bad night for IU fans. Purdue now has the culture we once had, the culture needed for national prominence on a more regular basis, and it really pisses me off.

Who ever dreamt a three year player of TJD's ability would never anchor a team capable of making the NCAA tournament? Ans. - No many, if not no one. I'm done.

I think Fife wanted him, which is one more reason I'm not sold on Fife as a future HC here. I'd been wondering why he's playing so much, but perhaps last night's events answered that question.
What on Earth?

Kopp was a solid player for Northwestern for 3 years who was brought in to add depth and experience in the B10 to help bridge the gap of transitioning coaching staffs. He was never brought in to become the go to player or star. There's no reason to think that a 4 year player like Kopp couldn't have been a solid and steady contributing role player at the time he was added. He hasn't fulfilled the role he was brought in to player but acting like it was crazy to bring in somebody with 50+ games of starting experience in the B10 is silly.

Reactions: kkott
If TJD and Kopp had played worth a crap last night we win, even with all the nonsense going on.
true...plus...Leal got a chance and really didn't show much...and JG played some really stupid defense and got in foul trouble.

Anyone know why Duncomb sat while the walk-on sees some time? Is he hurt? If there was ever a night where we could have used 5-10 minutes from Duncomb, last night was it.

Reactions: kkott and Tru2Irish

Regarding your 1st paragraph....not really sure there are at the P5 level. He's really not enough of a knock down shooter to waste your time getting him those 6-8 shots, because he adds nothing defensively or on the boards. Maybe some place like Valpo.

He reminds me of Durr in this way......for his 3 years at S. Florida he averaged 11.1 rebs every 40 minutes played. This year, in the BT, he's averaging 5.6 He's just not athletic enough to be a real force in the BT.......

Both guys give maximum effort....they're just not BT level players.

true...plus...Leal got a chance and really didn't show much...and JG played some really stupid defense and got in foul trouble.

Anyone know why Duncomb sat while the walk-on sees some time? Is he hurt? If there was ever a night where we could have used 5-10 minutes from Duncomb, last night was it.
Because the front court never really got in foul trouble and a fatigued Race and Trayce were going to give you more offensively than a limited Duncomb whose played a handful of meaningful minutes all year. Childress could at least attempt to guard somebody out on the perimeter.

What on Earth?

Kopp was a solid player for Northwestern for 3 years who was brought in to add depth and experience in the B10 to help bridge the gap of transitioning coaching staffs. He was never brought in to become the go to player or star. There's no reason to think that a 4 year player like Kopp couldn't have been a solid and steady contributing role player at the time he was added. He hasn't fulfilled the role he was brought in to player but acting like it was crazy to bring in somebody with 50+ games of starting experience in the B10 is silly.

His stats, per minutes played, are very close to what he did at NW. I had hoped he would be marginally better here, perhaps getting his 3 pt % up into the low 40s without the pressure of being 'the scorer'. Hasn't happened, and he was pathetic last night.

I think people were high on him because he had some good games at IU. Guess what.....a lot of mediocre players have had good games v. IU the last 20 years,

Miller Kopp has started every Big Ten game but hasn't made 3 baskets since the Wisconsin game on December 12th.
Let us be honest the kid does try very hard but he is basiclly awful. I could likely shoot the three as good as he can and that was what he was brought in for.

After this year he needs to go out there and get that stockbroker job and hang up the sneakers.

That play late in the game when JG was trying to guard two open guys wide open under the basket with .5 seconds to shoot was a real lowlight. He ended up guarding neither but that one didn't seem like his fault. Probably a fatigued brain fart on someone else's part.

Let us be honest the kid does try very hard but he is basiclly awful. I could likely shoot the three as good as he can and that was what he was brought in for.
Half the time he appears to be leaning one direction or another on the 3s.

That play late in the game when JG was trying to guard two open guys wide open under the basket with .5 seconds to shoot was a real lowlight. He ended up guarding neither but that one didn't seem like his fault. Probably a fatigued brain fart on someone else's part.
just mentioned that very moment in another post....he looked "lost in space"...totally clueless as to what he was doing. Maybe he thought they were going to switch on the screen, but seemed like JG falling back into the lane to guard Nance would have been the easiest play. Definitely a lowlight for IU last night.

His stats, per minutes played, are very close to what he did at NW. I had hoped he would be marginally better here, perhaps getting his 3 pt % up into the low 40s without the pressure of being 'the scorer'. Hasn't happened, and he was pathetic last night.

I think people were high on him because he had some good games at IU. Guess what.....a lot of mediocre players have had good games v. IU the last 20 years,
He also played a much more prominent role at Northwestern. I didn't think at the time he transferred it was unrealistic for someone like Kopp to average 7-8 points while stretching the floor as a 4th or 5th option. It wasn't a reach at all to add Kopp. He had 120+ made 3 pointers for his career coming into this year. Team desperately needed shooting.

Kopp had a really bad game last night and mostly hasn’t made much of an impact offensively all year. But to be a little fair, TJD and Race both have a bad habit of forcing a shot through double teams even with wide open perimeter players. That’s fine if they shoot 60%+ in the post but lately they have not done that. Add in the fact that X also misses shooters a lot on drives and I am sure every pass that Kopp (and Stewart) receives is a shock to them.

Why go get shooters if your post players don’t want to give up the ball? If you look at our best games either TJD and Race are dominating and forcing shots isn’t a problem or we share the ball well. Imo the way TJD plays is not conducive for good shooters. Last night was horrible. I counted at least 4 shots he took with a shooter wide open and he was shooting 30%.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT