ADVERTISEMENT

Starting Lineup Guesses?

C'mon KCM! That never stops the jokers on the basketball forum from spouting pointless wisdom! Ok, here's a better question: are there ANY positions we actually know who the starter SHOULD be? :)

2022 current roster posted may not be finalized until February 17th. IMO barring injury, “up the middle” looks pretty decent and experienced: catcher Serruto & Ellis share the load, short & 2nd Glasser & Doanes start, Centerfield Colopy starts in one of the outfield slots, maybe center maybe Whalen there if his bat comes through.
Fougerouse starts at one corner infield position, likely 1st, but based on potential bats of Mathison, Gilbert, maybe Skrine would be interesting to see early righty lefty platoon at 1st with Fougerouse at 3rd. I imagine Coach Mercer would like to see Montgomery at 3rd in Bloomington instead of a White Sox farm team, but Rowe or one of the freshman infielders is likely going to get the first shot at 3rd. Will be interesting battles for the outfield slots around Colopy.
Long term Pitching is the key to this season, short term the bats will struggle early facing southern teams with their pitchers farther along.

2022 current roster posted may not be finalized until February 17th. IMO barring injury, “up the middle” looks pretty decent and experienced: catcher Serruto & Ellis share the load, short & 2nd Glasser & Doanes start, Centerfield Colopy starts in one of the outfield slots, maybe center maybe Whalen there if his bat comes through.
Fougerouse starts at one corner infield position, likely 1st, but based on potential bats of Mathison, Gilbert, maybe Skrine would be interesting to see early righty lefty platoon at 1st with Fougerouse at 3rd. I imagine Coach Mercer would like to see Montgomery at 3rd in Bloomington instead of a White Sox farm team, but Rowe or one of the freshman infielders is likely going to get the first shot at 3rd. Will be interesting battles for the outfield slots around Colopy.
Long term Pitching is the key to this season, short term the bats will struggle early facing southern teams with their pitchers farther along.
Wow. That’s an amazing number of newcomers and unknowns. I really hope this season gets back on track. If not, I’m afraid we’ll sink back to middle of the pack and national irrelevance.

If wasn't for the fact there is a roster with photos, players would have to walk around with name tags on, like you would find at a mixer or a 50-year high school reunion. I think barring injuries, we can pretty much guess who will probably be part of the weekend rotation, but after that, who knows. If I had to guess as to where we will be in the preseason predictions by the coaches/press, I would say probably somewhere in the middle of the pack. Nebraska almost certainly will be the preseason favorite. The Huskers had what is considered a strong incoming class that was untouched by the MLB draft.

• Wow
Reactions: mk24
Okay, I have not followed IU baseball at all this past off-season. Just started checking things out yesterday with the season approaching. Looks like I've missed a lot. But I can't find anything anywhere, about the transfers. I've Googled and I could only find the transfer portal saying premium content on one site.

So, I know the guys that got drafted and looking at the roster they have listed, I would guess all of those guys decided to go pro. And I see a post here how Toetz went to Purdue (that's a shame). What about Drew Ashley? Did he go somewhere? Only thing searches show for me, is with Indiana.

Okay, I have not followed IU baseball at all this past off-season. Just started checking things out yesterday with the season approaching. Looks like I've missed a lot. But I can't find anything anywhere, about the transfers. I've Googled and I could only find the transfer portal saying premium content on one site.

So, I know the guys that got drafted and looking at the roster they have listed, I would guess all of those guys decided to go pro. And I see a post here how Toetz went to Purdue (that's a shame). What about Drew Ashley? Did he go somewhere? Only thing searches show for me, is with Indiana.
Drew Ashley is no longer listed on IU's official roster. I don't know what happened with him or where he is at, so maybe someone on here does. Here's the link to their official roster.

Drew Ashley is no longer listed on IU's official roster. I don't know what happened with him or where he is at, so maybe someone on here does. Here's the link to their official roster.

Yeah, I looked at it before I posted that. I knew he had a year eligibility left and didn't get drafted. Perhaps he just decided to graduate and move on without baseball? That would be my guess. I sure wish we could get baseball info like we can from basketball and football.

Reactions: ptrich and mk24
I agree it would be nice if we could get more info on the baseball team. The folks at iubase.com do a nice job of adding some additional info especially in season. There is a new interview with Coach Mercer up there now.

I do not know for certain but I believe Ashley came to IU intending to go to Dental School, and I guess he has started there. I think he was a special college baseball player and he will be missed this year.

Reactions: ptrich and mk24
I agree it would be nice if we could get more info on the baseball team. The folks at iubase.com do a nice job of adding some additional info especially in season. There is a new interview with Coach Mercer up there now.

I do not know for certain but I believe Ashley came to IU intending to go to Dental School, and I guess he has started there. I think he was a special college baseball player and he will be missed this year.
Yes, they do a good job. I checked there, too, but no mention at all of Ashley. And I listened to their interview with Mercer previewing the upcoming season but he only talked of the players this year. Which is understandable, but I'm still curious.

Reactions: Irregulars and mk24
FWIW, these are probably going to be the opening day starters for both Clemson and IU, and D1baseball has Clemson's Anglin as 28th in their Top 150 pitchers for the upcoming season, while Modugno is ranked 82nd:

Clemson: Mack Anglin, who is described as a hard-throwing righthander. Here are some of his numbers from 2021:
Record: 2-6 ERA 3.99 IP-56.1 BB-33 SO-75 OBA-.227

IU: John Modugno:
Record: 3-1 ERA 2.10 IP-38.2 BB-16 SO-40 OBA-.207

Projected weather for Friday in Clemson SC: Partly cloudy with a high of 63 and a low of 35. Sat and Sun are expecting about the same temps with sunny days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT