ADVERTISEMENT

Spying myths vs. reality

BradStevens

All-Big Ten
Sep 7, 2023
I just finished binge watching seasons 1 and 2 of Slow Horses. Great stuff.

But it made me wonder: a lot of (too many, in my opinion) modern day spy/espionage plots involve strife within agencies and agencies burning each other, leaving them out to dry, etc. Is this a real thing? Is there any documented proof this kind of thing happens within intelligence agencies? Or is it just a great plot device?

Are there other big myths within this genre that either work or need to die?

Why are people so attracted to spies and this genre? The agents in Slow Horses are hardly glamorous, yet still compelling and the life seems alluring. Is that a male psychology thing? Or is this just a sub-genre of mysteries, and feeds into our desire to solve puzzles?

Time to go rewatch Tinker Tailor Solider Spy and maybe start reading some spy novels.

But it made me wonder: a lot of (too many, in my opinion) modern day spy/espionage plots involve strife within agencies and agencies burning each other, leaving them out to dry, etc. Is this a real thing? Is there any documented proof this kind of thing happens within intelligence agencies? Or is it just a great plot device?

If I told you I'd have to kill you.

Why are people so attracted to spies and this genre? The agents in Slow Horses are hardly glamorous, yet still compelling and the life seems alluring. Is that a male psychology thing? Or is this just a sub-genre of mysteries, and feeds into our desire to solve puzzles?

Time to go rewatch Tinker Tailor Solider Spy and maybe start reading some spy novels.
Is that on TV or are you using a streaming service?

We got one episode in on Horses, but my wife didn't like it. My list of shows to watch that she does not like is nearly infinite, so who knows when I will get to it.

I have listened to 4 of le Carre's Smiley books, really enjoyed them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT