ADVERTISEMENT

Sporadic thoughts from today

Sam_Beishuizen

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2016
Bloomington, Indiana
Day one of Media Day in the books. Thought I'd share a few thoughts.

Jim Harbaugh continues to be larger than life. He had the biggest crowds, drew the most attention and was the most interesting person to talk today. He wore a suit and a Michigan cap because that's what Jim Harbaugh does. The majority of the national media swarmed his way.

Safety is a growing concern. This has been the case for a few years now, but safety continues to be a major topic at this event. Coaches were asked about the idea of getting rid of kickoffs to prevent big hits. Most said it was something they'd be in favor of. I didn't hear a single coach say they didn't want to at the risk of preserving the game. Everyone had players in mind.

Penn State at full strength. I sort of forgot about this, but PSU is at 85 scholarships again. James Franklin was mostly dealing with Sandusky questions all day. He was a good sport about it. He basically kept to the script that he wasn't there when it happened and that the university is moving on. But he answered every question honestly and candidly. I was really impressed.

Purdue was really optimistic. Like, almost too optimistic. Darrell Hazell was talking about "getting off the train" this year and doing some damage. The players were talking about bowl games. I thought it was kind of strange. But maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Kevin Wilson is a popular guy. I was asking coaches for thoughts on Coach Wilson and everyone was happy to talk him up. Most sounded pleased he got extended because they thought he was doing a good job. Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern was very, very eager to pat Wilson on the back for what he's done. But more on that in a story later.

Sad day in the conference. It was sad not to see Nebraska on hand after the death of punter Sam Foltz along with former Michigan State punter Mike Sadler.Coaches expressed sympathy in their opening statements for the universities. It definitely hit home across the conference.

Indiana tomorrow. We should get things that are more fun to read tomorrow on Indiana.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News