ADVERTISEMENT

Spegal

And for the Bloomington South folks, respect your history, but watch or come to Friday’s game...judge for yourself. Btw, his lateral movement and vision is outstanding.

Hey...that's my alma mater too....longer ago than I'd prefer to admit, but....Mo Moriarty was our coach at the time. & J.R. Holmes in B-ball, which clarifies very little considering that he's been there forever. I'm shocked he's still there, in fact. It was early in his career at South when I was there.

Class of 1994 myself. We won the 5A crown my senior year in 1993 vs Lake Central.

Reactions: trailrunner
Class of 1994 myself. We won the 5A crown my senior year in 1993 vs Lake Central.
I was there! In the dome...what was it, 35-28? Tyler Thompson speed demon....I remember Lake Central had this Running Back...I wanna' say Dave something, he was faster than HELL. That was a very high quality H.S football game. Actually, that's the last South game I've been to...yikes! Wait a minute, no it's not...I went to a regional game in like...'97 against Ben Davis...anyway, go South!!

Last edited:
I was there! In the dome...what was it, 35-28? Tyler Thompson speed demon....I remember Lake Central had this Running Back...I wanna' say Dave something, he was faster than HELL. That was a very high quality H.S football game. Actually, that's the last South game I've been to...yikes! Wait a minut,e no it's not...I went to a regional game in like...'97 against Ben Davis...anyway, go South!!

33-27. I started at strong safety. Tyler caught what ended up being the game winning TD. That RB torched us in the 1st half, but we shut them out in the 2nd half. Now I’ve got friends from HS who’s kids are playing for South.

And for the Bloomington South folks, respect your history, but watch or come to Friday’s game...judge for yourself. Btw, his lateral movement and vision is outstanding.

I have heard that Spegal turns 20 next month and wonder if that has an impact on recruiting. ISHAA allows this as long as you don't turn 20 while participating in sports. He is 2 year older than other seniors

I regress, appreciate the input...he is 19, however, my son had to be held back because of some develop problems, and now he’s a straight A student

If I’m wrong on his actual age/development, then I truly apologize...however the New Pal program is much more than one player...Maxen Hook (capt), Aven Jones(capt), Kyle King(capt), Large brothers, Brody Luker (capt), Noah Mack, Will Olive, Etc....

33-27. I started at strong safety. Tyler caught what ended up being the game winning TD. That RB torched us in the 1st half, but we shut them out in the 2nd half. Now I’ve got friends from HS who’s kids are playing for South.[/

Oh, you played even? Awesome. I thought we were doomed after they hit that hail mary to end the half, but you boys hung tough, state champs forever! I have friends with kids already graduated from South.

If I’m wrong on his actual age/development, then I truly apologize...however the New Pal program is much more than one player...Maxen Hook (capt), Aven Jones(capt), Kyle King(capt), Large brothers, Brody Luker (capt), Noah Mack, Will Olive, Etc....

See what you can do on your end to flip King and then he and Spegal can come as a package deal.

I cannot believe that kid wants to head to MSU. He should stay in state.

I’ve seen CS play both years against Center Grove - as well as Sampson James when CG took them down in last year’s Regional. Spegal is a special player. I’d take him over James 7 days a week. Seriously. He’s that good.

Reactions: DANC and Sassy61
I agree...MSU has 7 SDE signed...Kyle is a great kid/player, but think he’s gonna get lost in the shuffle in Lansing...also, a lot of bad mojo there right now

I’m sure that whatever is going on up there at MSU, both Dantonio and Izzo will clean it up. They are both stand-up guys with a lot of integrity. They will make sure no funny business goes on under their watch.

Let me preface this by saying that Spegal is an animal. Obviously. What he's been able to do is absolutely incredible.

If IU has the scholarship room, I'd fully be in favor of taking a chance on him. Better yet, if they could get him as a PWO and see if he pans out and put on scholarship down the road.

I do have concerns about him, however:
1) He has been THE....MAN.... for 4 years at two schools. That's a hard transition to take when he'd come on campus and probably be #5 on the depth chart without a ton of opportunity to rise up. I think of Nick Zachary. I don't know Nick's business and why IU didn't pan out for him, but I have to think it's hard to make that adjustment.
2) He appears to be a beast in the weight room. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but how much bigger/stronger can that kid reasonably get? Which is to say, if you have two kids running the 40 in 4.7. One has flawless form. Other looks like crap. You take the kid with the bad form and coach him up. I would be afraid that he's approaching his ceiling from a physical standpoint
3) Less of a big deal to me, but he's older/more mature physically. Again, not a bad thing, but he's less likely than a younger kid to hit that next phase of physical development since he's probably gone through all of his.

Overall, he's an Indiana kid who I wish nothing but the best for. He's done more on the football field than most of us ever did and has a chance to go to the next level and enjoy himself.

I, personally, would hate to see him go to a bad fit and get buried and not enjoy himself or not get the most out of "it," whatever the "it" is for him (i.e., playing time, academics, girls, etc.)

Let me preface this by saying that Spegal is an animal. Obviously. What he's been able to do is absolutely incredible.

If IU has the scholarship room, I'd fully be in favor of taking a chance on him. Better yet, if they could get him as a PWO and see if he pans out and put on scholarship down the road.

I do have concerns about him, however:
1) He has been THE....MAN.... for 4 years at two schools. That's a hard transition to take when he'd come on campus and probably be #5 on the depth chart without a ton of opportunity to rise up. I think of Nick Zachary. I don't know Nick's business and why IU didn't pan out for him, but I have to think it's hard to make that adjustment.
2) He appears to be a beast in the weight room. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but how much bigger/stronger can that kid reasonably get? Which is to say, if you have two kids running the 40 in 4.7. One has flawless form. Other looks like crap. You take the kid with the bad form and coach him up. I would be afraid that he's approaching his ceiling from a physical standpoint
3) Less of a big deal to me, but he's older/more mature physically. Again, not a bad thing, but he's less likely than a younger kid to hit that next phase of physical development since he's probably gone through all of his.

Overall, he's an Indiana kid who I wish nothing but the best for. He's done more on the football field than most of us ever did and has a chance to go to the next level and enjoy himself.

I, personally, would hate to see him go to a bad fit and get buried and not enjoy himself or not get the most out of "it," whatever the "it" is for him (i.e., playing time, academics, girls, etc.)

Maybe the “depth chart” concerns has IU coaches worried he’ll similar to a Cole Gest, who’s now in transfer portal? Not a knock on either, just maybe they don’t grade him the same as others on board think?

*If he took PWO, I’d take that all day long and love to see him earn a scholly.

Reactions: vesuvius13
This situation reminds of the Earl Haniford situation that Mallory faced years ago. Haniford was a Martinsville QB who shattered all IHSAA passing records. Was not highly recruited. Had receivers that made tons of yards after catches. Not sure Mallory wanted him, but he was Mr. Football, I think, and close to Bloomington. Mallory offered and Haniford accepted. He didn't play much, but the transaction endeared Mallory even more to Indiana high school football coaches. I think the same thing applies with Spegal. He is a Jordan Howard type back. Not sure he can run away from anyone, but not sure anyone can bring him down--sort of like Mike Alstott. Whether he would play or not at IU, think it would be a good long-term investment for Allen. Taking an all Mr. Everything in the state shows coaches that you respect Indian High School football and that you appreciate the efforts of the coaches.

Offer Spegal.

This situation reminds of the Earl Haniford situation that Mallory faced years ago. Haniford was a Martinsville QB who shattered all IHSAA passing records. Was not highly recruited. Had receivers that made tons of yards after catches. Not sure Mallory wanted him, but he was Mr. Football, I think, and close to Bloomington. Mallory offered and Haniford accepted. He didn't play much, but the transaction endeared Mallory even more to Indiana high school football coaches. I think the same thing applies with Spegal. He is a Jordan Howard type back. Not sure he can run away from anyone, but not sure anyone can bring him down--sort of like Mike Alstott. Whether he would play or not at IU, think it would be a good long-term investment for Allen. Taking an all Mr. Everything in the state shows coaches that you respect Indian High School football and that you appreciate the efforts of the coaches.

Offer Spegal.

That's not really how things went. Haniford was highly sought after and chose IU over offers from O$U and other big boys. Mallory then got canned, Cameron got hired and recruited ARE, and installed an option, heavy running offense that didn't fit Haniford's skill set at all. Earl threw a beautiful ball and could've gone anywhere, but he was just a country kid from Martinsville and didn't want to go far away from home.

If IU had 27 scholarships this year then I'd agree that we should offer Spegal. We don't. We are only taking like 18 - 19 kids this cycle and we've already gotten 14 commits. I love Spegal as a player and want him at IU, but it's going to have to be as a PWO. Then, if he's as good as you say, I could easily see him earn a full ride.

There’s a couple reasons why Charlie doesn’t have many offers. 1) He could be a sophomore in college right now. Parents started him late for athletics. Then he flunked a grade on top of that. 2) Grades. New Pal has a great nucleus of kids who have all grown up together. But Spegal puts them on another level.

There’s a couple reasons why Charlie doesn’t have many offers. 1) He could be a sophomore in college right now. Parents started him late for athletics. Then he flunked a grade on top of that. 2) Grades. New Pal has a great nucleus of kids who have all grown up together. But Spegal puts them on another level.

I don't buy the "grades" stuff purdue fan...

West Point doesn't offer guys who are going to struggle to stay eligible...

That's a non-starter as an ugly rumor...

Charlie..., if you're out there..., remember who's saying this type of crap about you...

See the Above by "takedownboiler"...

Last edited:
That's not really how things went. Haniford was highly sought after and chose IU over offers from O$U and other big boys. Mallory then got canned, Cameron got hired and recruited ARE, and installed an option, heavy running offense that didn't fit Haniford's skill set at all. Earl threw a beautiful ball and could've gone anywhere, but he was just a country kid from Martinsville and didn't want to go far away from home.

If IU had 27 scholarships this year then I'd agree that we should offer Spegal. We don't. We are only taking like 18 - 19 kids this cycle and we've already gotten 14 commits. I love Spegal as a player and want him at IU, but it's going to have to be as a PWO. Then, if he's as good as you say, I could easily see him earn a full ride.
Haniford was not even second string when he was IU. Way down on depth chart. However, that is not the point.

Hanniford didn't have a great game in the Indiana All-star game where I was HC of the North. He didn't score any TD passes and the South didn't score any points. He just wasn't as good as advertised.

Reactions: HereYouGoIU
Hanniford didn't have a great game in the Indiana All-star game where I was HC of the North. He didn't score any TD passes and the South didn't score any points. He just wasn't as good as advertised.
Ft Wayne Wayne, huh? Man, you guys were a buzzsaw that season, especially that RB.

Ft Wayne Wayne, huh? Man, you guys were a buzzsaw that season, especially that RB.
He was but he had very good players around him to take some of the heat off of him. To show you good team mates, two talented players one at H back the other at slot lost carries during the tournament run but didn't resent it at all or cause any issues for the team. That team was special in many ways the way they came together and came from behind to win games.

I don't buy the "grades" stuff purdue fan...

West Point doesn't offer guys who are going to struggle to stay eligible...

That's a non-starter as an ugly rumor...

Charlie..., if you're out there..., remember who's saying this type of crap about you...

See the Above by "takedownboiler"...

He started late and failed a grade to boot. Why is no one offering him if it weren’t for these reasons? He’s going to be 20 years old before he even graduates. Being a Purdue fan doesn’t have anything to do with what I posted. He’s a beast but a beast that should be in college already.

He started late and failed a grade to boot. Why is no one offering him if it weren’t for these reasons? He’s going to be 20 years old before he even graduates. Being a Purdue fan doesn’t have anything to do with what I posted. He’s a beast but a beast that should be in college already.

FBS Football isn't Little League, there's no age requirements... I'm not surprised that you're confused about that though...

Making up vile crap about a high school guy who you think is headed to your rival is low even for purdue bottom feeders...

Crawl back to your mud hole purdue fan..., and stay there...

Reactions: Chriselli and DANC

He was offered by West Point. I do understand that they're renowned for offering some really at risk kids. Sheesh. Being a Purdue fan has everything to do with what you posted. If PU is off the board for a kid, it must be grades. Last year it was Cam Williams.

Something to watch for: if CS or his coaches have any thoughts about IU coaches being present Friday night, Bloomington South is in for a butt kicking. I can easily see 5-6 touchdowns and 250-300 yards rushing if he’s got just a hint of added motivation.

Edit: Just noticed the game is at NP, not BS. Not sure that’s gonna change much though. He’ll probably get pretty amped up about his final game on his home field. My prediction stands.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1

When I watch him I think of Matt Perez. I think I’d pass.

So you get a 20 year old freshman with a body that’s ready to be on the field immediately? This is a good thing in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT