ADVERTISEMENT

Spegal

No offer.....but we need to el de pronto.

Thought I'd read somewhere that he has a Preferred Walk On offer from us...

I think he'd earn the real thing in short order if given half a chance.

He actually reminds me of our RB coach when he was in school... No stopwatch apparent breakaway speed but he ended up playing for the Colts... Pretty sure we could use a guy like that... (in my opinion)...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sassy61 and kobis18
He has a preferred walk on.
I dont think I've seen someone put up these kinds of numbers and have so few offers. Hopefully everyone is just doubting him and hes actually a stud in college

Reactions: Sassy61
He has a preferred walk on.
I dont think I've seen someone put up these kinds of numbers and have so few offers. Hopefully everyone is just doubting him and hes actually a stud in college

5’10, smaller school correct? Hard to believe everyone is wrong, but would also love IU tonget him as a PWO and have him prove world was wrong and earn a scholly based on his production.

Purdue isn't interested. Brohm's still looking for his 11th WR in his 19 man class.
giphy.gif

5’10, smaller school correct?

I think New Pal is 4A by size, but playing in 5A and ranked #1. They did beat 6A Center Grove earlier this year, but Center Grove is losing a lot of games so far.

He has offers from Army and ISU and a PWO offer from Indiana. No idea what he has from Tennessee other than "interest."

Reactions: vesuvius13
He has offers from Army and ISU and a PWO offer from Indiana. No idea what he has from Tennessee other than "interest."

Pretty sure the UT offer is a PWO. He doesn't have other offers because at this point, all he is is a great HS player. His alleged shuttle time is like a 4.09, which would be the third fastest shuttle out of all the RBs at the 2019 NFL combine. That quickness jumps out on tape and Spiegal doesn't have that quickness.

Reactions: vesuvius13
5’10, smaller school correct? Hard to believe everyone is wrong, but would also love IU tonget him as a PWO and have him prove world was wrong and earn a scholly based on his production.
School is not small. Think it is 5A.

Think that if he breaks the all-time rushing record, we should offer him. He is a brute. Sort of reminds me of Howard. Anyway, an offer would help us cement our relationships with IN HS staffs.

Think that if he breaks the all-time rushing record, we should offer him. He is a brute. Sort of reminds me of Howard. Anyway, an offer would help us cement our relationships with IN HS staffs.

I hope you mean a PWO offer, which he’s already gotten. In order for him to get a full ride, he’ll need to earn it once he’s at IU. He’s probably a 2* player at best, but why wouldn’t you take a chance on a guy like him? Seems to be a great teammate and leader. Can’t have too many high character guys in your locker room.

Reactions: Sassy61 and 82IU
"The Hoosiers are also working hard to try and get in-state prospect Charlie Spegal to accept a preferred walk-on offer. Spegal is putting up video game numbers for New Palestine H.S., and he would be a heck of a get as a walk-on if IU can pull it off. Spegal has scholarship offers from Army and Indiana State, and preferred walk-on offers from Indiana, Purdue and Tennessee. He told us this week that he is focused on Indiana, Tennessee, Army and Indiana State." From 247 site

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
IMHO, we are making a huge mistake by failing to offer a full ride to Charlie. Someone will offer him the full deal and he will take it. We will then have the task of chasing him around on the field as he runs for huge amounts of yardage and touchdowns against us.

Don't cheap out on this guy. Offer him a full deal and watch your returns.

Reactions: 76-1
IMHO, we are making a huge mistake by failing to offer a full ride to Charlie. Someone will offer him the full deal and he will take it. We will then have the task of chasing him around on the field as he runs for huge amounts of yardage and touchdowns against us.

Don't cheap out on this guy. Offer him a full deal and watch your returns.

I think I'll defer to the judgement of the coaching staff.

I hope you mean a PWO offer, which he’s already gotten. In order for him to get a full ride, he’ll need to earn it once he’s at IU. He’s probably a 2* player at best, but why wouldn’t you take a chance on a guy like him? Seems to be a great teammate and leader. Can’t have too many high character guys in your locker room.
No. Think it would be good for relationships with Indiana high school coaches to offer a scholly to the all-time leading rusher in state. Would suggest our commitment to Indiana High School football and may reap dividends in the future. The 6'8", 358 pound center at Beech Grove committed to Ohio State three weeks ago.

No. Think it would be good for relationships with Indiana high school coaches to offer a scholly to the all-time leading rusher in state. Would suggest our commitment to Indiana High School football and may reap dividends in the future. The 6'8", 358 pound center at Beech Grove committed to Ohio State three weeks ago.

Setting a record does not mean that you’re worth a scholarship. He’s way less talented that Scott, Walker, and James and will have to earn a full ride by showing he’s good enough in practice. I hope he comes to IU and earns that full ride. Army is the only D1 offer he’s got so far. That should tell you something.

Setting a record does not mean that you’re worth a scholarship. He’s way less talented that Scott, Walker, and James and will have to earn a full ride by showing he’s good enough in practice. I hope he comes to IU and earns that full ride. Army is the only D1 offer he’s got so far. That should tell you something.
I guess we disagree on what the big picture is.

I’m part of the New Pal community, my boy 6th grade, part of this outstanding program. Charlie is NO JOKE. He’s the type of kid that you ignore the “measurables”. He won’t be outworked, lives for the game, strong as heck, humble, and seeks contact just for fun. We should offer full scholarship ASAP...we’ll be glad we did!

they should be a 4a school but after a few years of running up 70+ points per week in their own class, the IHSAA made them move up. They still run it up vs 5a. Their coach ( think his name is Kyle Ralph) has it going on there

They play my alma mater this weekend, so I’ll be pulling for the Panthers on Friday.
Hey...that's my alma mater too....longer ago than I'd prefer to admit, but....Mo Moriarty was our coach at the time. & J.R. Holmes in B-ball, which clarifies very little considering that he's been there forever. I'm shocked he's still there, in fact. It was early in his career at South when I was there.

Doyel wrote a column about him after New Pal's regional win over Cathedral. It's a 'subscriber-only' piece. Link if you're a subscriber: https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...records-new-pal-crushes-cathedral/2575278001/

A few high points if you're not:

For someone so slow, Charlie Spegal sure is fast.

No, I’m serious. That’s the knock on Charlie Spegal, who is putting the all-time Indiana rushing record out of reach: He’s not fast enough. Or, put more bluntly: He’s too slow. That’s why a running back with more rushing yards than anybody in state history — a running back who ranks sixth all-time in the United States, and please read that again — has two scholarship offers. One is from Army, the other from Indiana State. Other schools in Indiana, and elsewhere, believe Spegal is too slow.

Cathedral has big-city talent, big-city speed, and that slow country boy Charlie Spegal spent Friday night running away from the Irish. Twice he burst through the line and was gone, pulling away from all those fast defensive backs trying to reel him in. He popped runs of 64, 50, 50 and 31 yards.

After hailing Spegal like a cab, I tease him: If you’re slow, why can’t anybody catch you?

“I think I’m faster on the field than when I run the 40 at a combine or whatever,” he says. “I’ve always got the feeling somebody’s behind me, so it gets me going. Just running 40 yards … I don’t know. It’s not the same.”

After Friday night, Spegal’s career total of 10,429 rushing yards is sixth in U.S. history, and his 168 touchdowns are fourth.

-------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW - I don't think of Stevie Scott as being particularly 'fast.' But Stevie is 6' 2" per the roster. Spegal is 5' 10" (which probably means 5' 9" in shoes). I would like to see the kid give it a go at IU, though, and maybe disprove the doubters.

Yes, we are a 4A school, enrollment 1420ish...we have been bumped up due to the success factor, which ideally was meant for the private schools, but we’ve answered the bell. Coach Kyle Ralph is the real deal, google is interested. Our youth league from K on runs the same spread offense and the 3-3 stack defense...obviously more progressed as the years add on, but that’s the pipeline that has been built

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT