ADVERTISEMENT

Sorsby in the portal

Pazhoosier85

Sophomore
Oct 30, 2012
This is why getting a coach as quickly as possible is important. Need to recruit the current players worth keeping.

Reactions: 76-1
This is why getting a coach as quickly as possible is important. Need to recruit the current players worth keeping.

If the new coach has to go the Deion route, whatever. The portal giveth and taketh away. Sorsby is a nice QB, but not the end of the world. If he can hit a wide open receiver 25 yards behind the defense, then IU probably wins yesterday. This was a 3-9 team: there ain't that many worth keeping.

If the new coach has to go the Deion route, whatever. The portal giveth and taketh away. Sorsby is a nice QB, but not the end of the world. If he can hit a wide open receiver 25 yards behind the defense, then IU probably wins yesterday. This was a 3-9 team: there ain't that many worth keeping.
I agree. His accuracy is a question mark. New coach will want his QB even if from portal.

Thanks to the NCAA this is the new normal.
They are going to lose and gain players in the portal no matter who the coach is.
Sorby is not a great loss and not surprising.
The new coach will most likely bring in his own QB anyway.

I think it’s thanks to the US Supreme Court as well as the California legislature.
True, but the NCAA's weak argument didn't give SCOTUS much choice. And rather than invest in an alternative plan should the Court not let it maintain status quo, the arrogant NCAA just threw up it's hands and let it become the wild, wild west. It did the same thing with the transfer portal mess.

Reactions: stonerj
True, but the NCAA's weak argument didn't give SCOTUS much choice. And rather than invest in an alternative plan should the Court not let it maintain status quo, the arrogant NCAA just threw up it's hands and let it become the wild, wild west. It did the same thing with the transfer portal mess.
NCAA doesn't really have much power anymore. Only what the power 5 wants to give them.

They had no argument. Clearly antitrust. The ncaa would’ve been in court anyway.

Reactions: BayernFan
No biggie. Half the team will be in the portal before long.

Sorsby may have planned on transferring all along so he could play for a winner.
I sort of assumed all along that, if nothing else, some of the Texas schools would throw some money at him.

I think for the long-term prospects of the program retaining Lowry might be more important than either Sorsby or Jackson.

Reactions: midwolfe
...the arrogant NCAA just threw up it's hands and let it become the wild, wild west. It did the same thing with the transfer portal mess.
This is the important part people miss. The ruling was narrow enough to allow the NCAA to continue to maintain regulation, just that schools/conferences couldn't make money on the players' NIL and not allow the players to do so as well. The NCAA either didn't see this coming or didn't care when they chose not to regulate it.

I sort of assumed all along that, if nothing else, some of the Texas schools would throw some money at him.

I think for the long-term prospects of the program retaining Lowry might be more important than either Sorsby or Jackson.
He gone.

Sounds like some tampering to me.

Less than 24 hours after the final game he's in the portal with an NIL deal.

Surely this is something the inept NCAA can put rules in place to prevent the obvious miscondnouct.
There are no rules being enforced.

This is the important part people miss. The ruling was narrow enough to allow the NCAA to continue to maintain regulation, just that schools/conferences couldn't make money on the players' NIL and not allow the players to do so as well. The NCAA either didn't see this coming or didn't care when they chose not to regulate it.
Exactly. I think the NCAA has always relied on alumni and boosters in high places (Congress) to protect its self-interest. Congress may still step in at some point, but given how dysfunctional that place is currently, I have a feeling the NCAA is either going to have to come up with a solution on its own or allow the madness to continue.

Soon or late...The roster will amount to about ten bodies after the exodus.
So, all the other programs are drooling over and throwing better NIL deals toward everyone on our 3-9 roster? .

Then I guess we'll recruit from the thousand great players in the portal from all the other coaching changes. Because apparently when a coach leaves, everybody leaves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT