ADVERTISEMENT

Some Thoughts On Our Whosiers

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
1. I can’t believe how many podcast shows are related to Nebraska. And they are all in shock for the same reason - they still thought we were “just Indiana.” No real respect. They bought the rat poison about the Nebraska defense being the end of the New Indiana. The stats about our offense and our defense did not get through to the brains that still think the past plays on Saturday. “Indiana has the worst historical record.” OK. How you like us now? Cig has taken a bunch of guys that NO talking head knew about last year and made them the biggest threat to the old status quo since NIL and The Portal were imagined. He had faith in and respect for the “little guys” - the Unknowns - and turned them into The Whosiers - kids now taking the norm by storm! The Cardiac Kids.2. Another Indiana team that ain’t supposed to be here.

2. Test 1 was win at UCLA - the “historical” power. Passed. Test 2 was Maryland - the up-and-coming coach who could recruit. Passed. Test 3 - keep NW from getting off the mat at NWHS stadium. Passed. Test 4 - survive the vaunted Nebraska defense. Passed 56 times. Who are these guys? These New Whosiers? Test 5 - beat Washington, who went big with our guys, and beat a No. 10 Michigan … but we gotta win with a back up QB. Challenge accepted. See ya at the yard.

3. Prepare thyself - the Rat Poison this week will double.

Many of them are young guys running podcasts that talk smack because that’s the big thing these days with social media. Most of these guys running these things are very insulated and only closely watch their own teams. They may see a schedule here and there but don’t actually watch opponents. For many, right now are their glory days to run their mouths because in high school, they were simply picking up jock straps for their teams. Fans can boast after the game. Have no problem with that as long as it is civil but so, so many of these podcasts have guys that just run their mouth pre-game.

1. I can’t believe how many podcast shows are related to Nebraska. And they are all in shock for the same reason - they still thought we were “just Indiana.” No real respect. They bought the rat poison about the Nebraska defense being the end of the New Indiana. The stats about our offense and our defense did not get through to the brains that still think the past plays on Saturday. “Indiana has the worst historical record.” OK. How you like us now? Cig has taken a bunch of guys that NO talking head knew about last year and made them the biggest threat to the old status quo since NIL and The Portal were imagined. He had faith in and respect for the “little guys” - the Unknowns - and turned them into The Whosiers - kids now taking the norm by storm! The Cardiac Kids.2. Another Indiana team that ain’t supposed to be here.

2. Test 1 was win at UCLA - the “historical” power. Passed. Test 2 was Maryland - the up-and-coming coach who could recruit. Passed. Test 3 - keep NW from getting off the mat at NWHS stadium. Passed. Test 4 - survive the vaunted Nebraska defense. Passed 56 times. Who are these guys? These New Whosiers? Test 5 - beat Washington, who went big with our guys, and beat a No. 10 Michigan … but we gotta win with a back up QB. Challenge accepted. See ya at the yard.

Nebraska’s record was little better, if at all. … MD beat SC. UCLA beat an injury plagued Rutgers.
Nebraska wasn’t averaging 48 points per game, and lost a game.
Their defense accomplished much less than Md and NW — as they lost contact 28-7 in the first half.

Reactions: vesuvius13

The next test is how do we play with Jackson, for an entire game.

Best guess is we'll be fine this weekend. Another big atmosphere, Gameday, we obviously played our best football this past weekend for a similar atmosphere... Washington obviously has a lot of talent, but like Nebraska and UCLA, it doesn't seem like they'll be good enough to actually beat IU.

I think the game at MSU got quite a lot more iffy with Rourke going down. That'll be a tough environment, and if there are cracks in the facade with Jackson as QB, those will show more on the road, in a tough environment like Spartan Stadium can be. It's also looking like Smith has them playing better football of late.

I think with Jackson there could be some more inconsistency with decisions and throws. Might be difficult for him to get in sync with guys like Sarratt on those back shoulder throws Rourke is killing everyone with. But, he does add a more effective runner to the RPO stuff, and he throws a pretty good deep ball overall.

This UW game always worried me. Felt trap’ish. But with Rourke out I don’t feel the same way. Everyone will give that 5% more to make up for it.
I had this thought that one of the talking points at the end of the game will end up being that the defense took the challenge to protect Jackson seriously, and gave him favorable field positions, didn't give up a ton of points, etc...

That would be a very Cignetti like solution and approach to having a backup leading the team out of the tunnel for the first time. If everyone else does their job, he'll be fine.

Yeah, they have some entertaining podcasts that i was watching on YouTube last night. They seem like nice guys, just in shock over Indiana being this much better than them. I think some of it is that now have "coach envy" and they want Cig.
On social media it is a given Cignetti is getting hired by Oklahoma, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, USC, and Michigan in the off-season.

• Haha
Reactions: UncleMark
On social media it is a given Cignetti is getting hired by Oklahoma, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, USC, and Michigan in the off-season.
Scott will have to match some fat offers coming Cignetti's way. After seeing the positive momentum from a packed MS, most people realize the importance of Cignetti and his winning ways. Scott absolutely can not let this man get poached.

Scott may need to get out in front of the inevitable and renegotiate a brand new contract very soon.

Scott will have to match some fat offers coming Cignetti's way. After seeing the positive momentum from a packed MS, most people realize the importance of Cignetti and his winning ways. Scott absolutely can not let this man get poached.

Scott may need to get out in front of the inevitable and renegotiate a brand new contract very soon.

I will keep saying it until I'm proven wrong -- Cig will care less about his personal salary than he will about keeping the "band" together. Throw everything at the staff.

I will keep saying it until I'm proven wrong -- Cig will care less about his personal salary than he will about keeping the "band" together. Throw everything at the staff.
I imagine he would certainly love that. At the same time, CCC was once just like them and as he's said in the past, he left Alabama and went to be the HC of Indiana PA because he didn't want to be in his 50's and still be an assistant coach. One has to assume his current staff has the same ambitions so it would be hard to hold them back for long if we are going to finish this successful. I could be wrong, but I imagine Sunseri would like to be a coordinator and not stay a QB coach while Haines and Shannahan want to be HC's being that they've spent a lot of time as coordinators. You never know a man's goals and maybe the money offer is such that its well above a HC salary at a smaller school offering and makes the difference. Its just not commonplace is all.

Nebraska’s record was little better, if at all. … MD beat SC. UCLA beat an injury plagued Rutgers.
Nebraska wasn’t averaging 48 points per game, and lost a game.
Their defense accomplished much less than Md and NW — as they lost contact 28-7 in the first half.
The one game they lost they could have won…31-24 to #24 Illinois.

As Butch Cassidy said to the Sundance Kid. Who are these guys?

And they will fire him if he loses 2 games in a season there. I'm sure there are Alabama fans that want DeBoer fired. Cig is already a legend at IU.

And they will fire him if he loses 2 games in a season there. I'm sure there are Alabama fans that want DeBoer fired. Cig is already a legend at IU.
I guarantee you there's already grumbling amongst Bama fans. If he loses another one, the pitchforks will be sharpened and the torches will be lite.

If I was Scott, at some point in time I would just tell CCC that I want him at IU until he retires and what needs to happen to make that reality. Let's face facts, CCC has all the leverage!!

Cignetti has built a championship caliber roster in one year at IU. He coaches in one of the two conferences that matter in college football. He can win at the highest level where he is. IU just needs to give him the resources to stay competitive.

Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT