ADVERTISEMENT

Some of you….

Need to eat some crow on the Shannon situation.

He reacted to the verdict by writing "AGTG" and posting basketball highlights. That's different.

i had never googled anything concerning the allegations until today. For those who also did not know, the allegations are of very brief digital penetration that occurred in a bar in Lawrence. The defense apparently did not dispute the woman has been fingered, but rather that TS had been the perp. Just hearing the allegations related, the NG verdict is not surprising. Whatever happened happened off camera in a corner of the bar with no 3rd party witnesses. The alleged victim did not know TS and IDed him after the fact from a photograph.

Given his 'deep pockets', next comes the financial settlement.

I just read this from the Chicago Tribune. Seems like it's pretty cut and dry. 90 min deliberation to return the verdict.

I'm sure the prosecutors knew they had a weak case, as they waited several months to file it, and there's no indication the case got better with age. Its a tough situation for a prosecutor if you truly believe the allegations but know the evidence is weak. The other possibility, of course, is that it was a "me too" filing. Prosecutor's discretion is almost absolute and true motivations are hard to pin down.

I'm sure the prosecutors knew they had a weak case, as they waited several months to file it, and there's no indication the case got better with age. Its a tough situation for a prosecutor if you truly believe the allegations but know the evidence is weak. The other possibility, of course, is that it was a "me too" filing. Prosecutor's discretion is almost absolute and true motivations are hard to pin down.
I would imagine the text thread with her friends adding the dollar signs wasn't good for an already flimsy case that lacked evidence, but IANAL. 🤷‍♀️

Need to eat some crow on the Shannon situation.
regarding? He was charged with pretty serious crimes so I have no problem with a school deciding to not allow a kid to play if they are charged with a serious crime. It sucks, but playing sports is a privilege not a right in my book. I'd also have no problem if the school/NCAA granted anyone found innocent another year of eligibility. Again, not perfect, but not that different than someone suspended from a job during a trial.

I would imagine the text thread with her friends adding the dollar signs wasn't good for an already flimsy case that lacked evidence, but IANAL. 🤷‍♀️

I missed that part. The link only allowed me to see half the story. When did that happen? Definitley hurts the settlement value.

He reacted to the verdict by writing "AGTG" and posting basketball highlights. That's different.

i had never googled anything concerning the allegations until today. For those who also did not know, the allegations are of very brief digital penetration that occurred in a bar in Lawrence. The defense apparently did not dispute the woman has been fingered, but rather that TS had been the perp. Just hearing the allegations related, the NG verdict is not surprising. Whatever happened happened off camera in a corner of the bar with no 3rd party witnesses. The alleged victim did not know TS and IDed him after the fact from a photograph.

did they check the tape for someone smelling their finger, or having others smell it? pretty bazaar assault.

Reactions: birdforbogey
regarding? He was charged with pretty serious crimes so I have no problem with a school deciding to not allow a kid to play if they are charged with a serious crime. It sucks, but playing sports is a privilege not a right in my book. I'd also have no problem if the school/NCAA granted anyone found innocent another year of eligibility. Again, not perfect, but not that different than someone suspended from a job during a trial.

Thing is....no one's really 'found innocent'. The most you can say with certainty is that the jurors did not think he was guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt. The eternal stain of such a charge is why its so important that the prosecutors be above reproach. Probable cause for a charge is not a very hard standard to satisfy when a judge only hears one side of the story.

I do like your plan of an extra year of eligibility in such situations....

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I missed that part. The link only allowed me to see half the story. When did that happen? Definitley hurts the settlement value.

From the article:

She and her friend spoke with police that same Saturday of the alleged sexual assault and then went to a Lawrence hospital, where a sexual assault nurse examination kit was collected. The two eventually returned to the Martini Room later that same night, according to testimony from a computer forensics expert who, acting on a defense subpoena, extracted data from the woman’s friend’s phone.

Phone records also showed a December group message thread involving the two women and their two other roommates, including the best friend’s sister. The exchange included a link to an ESPN article on Shannon’s suspension from the Illini men’s team following the rape charge, and a message from the friend’s sister that read “got his ass,” followed by two face emojis with dollar signs for eyes and cash for tongues.

The testimony did not mention any response from the 18-year-old to that message.

Did I say you specifically? Nope. In this case she was going after $$. She tried before supposedly. Let this be a lesson to high major athletes. This most certainly cost him. Now will she pay her penance? I’m for letting these things play out before suspension etc…

The defenses case was based on mistake identity. There was a video evidence of an African-American male who walked past the victim during the alleged time frame that was given to police. Turns out that male was later identified and get this, was accused at that same bar a week earlier for....sexual assault. Don't blame the victim in this, but the Lawrence DA as well as the presiding judge need to answer for something. The original affidavit that was released strongly suggested that this was going to be a he said/she said case which rarely make it to trial because they are prosecuted successfully at a low rate.

Reactions: brianiu and kkott
Did I say you specifically? Nope. In this case she was going after $$. She tried before supposedly. Let this be a lesson to high major athletes. This most certainly cost him. Now will she pay her penance? I’m for letting these things play out before suspension etc…
The investigators and prosecutors are who owe him an apology, not anyone here, imo.

I just don't think life is fair and you can't make it so. We all get bad breaks, but I can understand the university (or any public institution) having a policy that if you are on trial for a felony crime that you can't play until the case is resolved. I'm also OK with the university saying they have that right, and then investigating and treating case by case and that's what I recall happened here. Wasn't he only suspended for like 6 games? It's not fair, but it seems reasonable to me. If he was guilty and they let him play, they'd get fried by the media and the coach might be looking for a job.

TSJ rejected a plea deal two weeks before the trial that would have resulted in no jail time. He said no, maintained his innocence and wanted to proceed to trial.

The DA is an activist that has lost a bunch of similar cases over the past few years and I believe may have been sanctioned.

The state had NO evidence. Only DNA found on victim was actually from other males.

She should have to pay a price. This kept him off AA teams.

Reactions: Mister G
The state had NO evidence. Only DNA found on victim was actually from other males.
-No DNA evidence
-the same night AFTER the alleged incident, the woman went BACK to same bar, right?
-She only ID'd him from a photo

Did anyone even place him at that same bar at the same time, that night?

If not, this whole case looks like an over-aggressive prosecutor basically burning taxpayer dollars

The investigators and prosecutors are who owe him an apology, not anyone here, imo.

I just don't think life is fair and you can't make it so. We all get bad breaks, but I can understand the university (or any public institution) having a policy that if you are on trial for a felony crime that you can't play until the case is resolved. I'm also OK with the university saying they have that right, and then investigating and treating case by case and that's what I recall happened here. Wasn't he only suspended for like 6 games? It's not fair, but it seems reasonable to me. If he was guilty and they let him play, they'd get fried by the media and the coach might be looking for a job.
I suggest you visit the locked thread. I’d say some should be eating a good dose of crow. Not sure why you are against it. Also the court ruled in his favor to let him play.

TSJ rejected a plea deal two weeks before the trial that would have resulted in no jail time. He said no, maintained his innocence and wanted to proceed to trial.

The DA is an activist that has lost a bunch of similar cases over the past few years and I believe may have been sanctioned.

What's the name of the DA?

What's the name of the DA?

Here's some more info about the case....there were 17 jurors total, including only 2 AAs. The alleged victim is white. She said the whole incident lasted 30 seconds, the actual digital penetration 5-10 seconds.

The defense atty said in closing arguments that he would be in fear of a prosecutor's office that would charge a man with rape with so little evidence.

It was a he said she said case with no witnesses as you point out.

He was acquitted based on not enough direct evidence to convict beyond a reasonable doubt not because there was evidence to clear him.

After the trial had concluded, the judge admonished the DA for charging with such weak evidence.....
I struggle with this a bit. I get that it was a weak case but if this happened to this girl, and it may well have, she has the right to be heard.

It was a he said she said case with no witnesses as you point out.

He was acquitted based on not enough direct evidence to convict beyond a reasonable doubt not because there was evidence to clear him.
None of his DNA was present from the tests done that night. That sounds like it cleared him to me.

Again, that's on the DA. Nothing stopping TS from suing her.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT