ADVERTISEMENT

So who's wanting UCLA to bow out in their opener tonight?

I don't think you remember how things were when SA took ove. Davis being a lame duck coach really hamstrung SAs roster his first year. Tom had a good run but the run had ended well before he was done
Oh, I'm sure the way Davis' departure was handled hurt Alford that first year, but that's not my point. My point was the program was in as good of shape as it had ever been, and it regressed under Alford. He was asked to go where Dr. Tom couldn't, and not only did he failed, he couldn't even go where Dr. Tom did.

Reactions: russelltodd
Oh, I'm sure the way Davis' departure was handled hurt Alford that first year, but that's not my point. My point was the program was in as good of shape as it had ever been, and it regressed under Alford. He was asked to go where Dr. Tom couldn't, and not only did he failed, he couldn't even go where Dr. Tom did.
After Ravelings recruits left TDs results were basically the same as SAs. Davis' run at Iowa gets overplayed on this board to make SAs time there seem worse than it was....SA wasn't successful but when he left the program was coming off a 4th and 2nd place finishes with a conference tourney title. SA left Iowa the way he found it

Reactions: The Vid
Uhhhhh.... define perform well. He performed pretty well at New Mexico. Just don't want to shoot my wad because a candidate made an Elite 8.
He won a lot of regular season games at New Mexico, sure, but was miserable in the NCAA. Went 2-3 in their appearances under him including losing to a 14 seed as a 3 seed. He's been coaching for over 20 years and not only has he never been past the Sweet 16, his teams usually flame out in the first weekend.

You must be one of the people upset by Crean being canned because he won a few B1G regular season titles.

After Ravelings recruits left TDs results were basically the same as SAs. Davis' run at Iowa gets overplayed on this board to make SAs time there seem worse than it was....SA wasn't successful but when he left the program was coming off a 4th and 2nd place finishes with a conference tourney title. SA left Iowa the way he found it
It's tough to compare different shades of mediocre, but Davis only had two losing B1G campaigns, out of 13. Alford had 5 of 8. Davis consistently finished in the top half of the league, long after he was out of Raveling's shadow, which Alford couldn't sustain. I mean, Iowa gonna Iowa, no matter who coaches, but I think there's clearly a drop from Davis to Alford.

Crean is still here according to you. So I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about.

No I didn't. I said we are all in for a rude awakening, which will come true. We fire Crean, and we will have to overpay to get anyone here because of the way we treat coaches who win conference titles and the gauntlet that Glass laid out in the presser. He gave all the leverage immediately to the coach. We will pay a king's ransom for someone, which we shouldn't have to if we were truly elite like so many believe. Glass has painted himself into a corner. A rude awakening for sure.

If he doesn't get the home run hire at absurd money, then he gets whom? A rude awakening, indeed.

No I didn't. I said we are all in for a rude awakening, which will come true. We fire Crean, and we will have to overpay to get anyone here because of the way we treat coaches who win conference titles and the gauntlet that Glass laid out in the presser. He gave all the leverage immediately to the coach. We will pay a king's ransom for someone, which we shouldn't have to if we were truly elite like so many believe. Glass has painted himself into a corner. A rude awakening for sure.

If he doesn't get the home run hire at absurd money, then he gets whom? A rude awakening, indeed.

Good CBB coaches get paid well. That's how it should be. It will only be a problem if we make a bad hire.

Glass should set high expectations. That's his job. Unless you prefer low expectations?

Oh I don't know. Maybe because they were the #3 seed. Twice.
I think the point was that you shouldn't expect NMU to be in that position. Getting the 3 seed was in itself over achieving, you shouldn't be expecting more from that program ..had they ever been a 3 seed before he got there?

I think the point was that you shouldn't expect NMU to be in that position. Getting the 3 seed was in itself over achieving, you shouldn't be expecting more from that program ..had they ever been a 3 seed before he got there?

Alford's second #3 seed was ranked in the top 15 all season then lost to a lower seed in the Sweet 16. My point is that's the same type of result that kept Crean haters bitching for years. Now some of those same people want Alford. If you set aside playing for IU, his body of work is very similar to Crean's.

No, he's mediocre. You're only going to all this trouble to spin this because he played here. He's Crean without a Final Four.

And now you're going to say that "I just don't get it," which is meaningless.

You're the idiot that defended Crean for 9 years and numerous crappy football coaches. The only thing you know about "mediocre" is that it is something you aspire to be.

It was easy to pull for UCLA after seeing who Kent State's coach was.

Alford's second #3 seed was ranked in the top 15 all season then lost to a lower seed in the Sweet 16. My point is that's the same type of result that kept Crean haters bitching for years. Now some of those same people want Alford. If you set aside playing for IU, his body of work is very similar to Crean's.

The Crean haters that bitched about what round he exited in March Madness wouldn't know their ass from a buckeye stump. Bad... sometimes horrible basketball is what Crean was guilty of. Thankfully he never made a run in March at IU or we would be stuck with him.

So you think that getting NMU to a 3 seed twice equates to getting IU to a 1 seed once?

Why would we expect Alford to get past the Sweet 16 at New Mexico? They've only been to the Sweet 16 twice... Iowa is career suicide and he survived there... His performance in the tourney this year will help me decide whether or not I would like him at IU. I'm guessing he won't go that far because the Ball family won't keep their mouth shut.

Keep playing pretzel logic.

His teams were given 3 seeds because they were earned. It doesn't matter what their pedigree was in the past, they were given 3 seeds. One of those teams top 15 all year. What happened? They lost in the first round. The other time they managed to eek out a win and then lost to powerhouse Harvard in the second round. HARVARD.

At UCLA with three NBA picks, he lost in the second round to a Florida team with zero.

Reactions: IndyAuthor
Seriously? Not what I think at all. If you can't see that Alford's body of work isn't that much different from Crean's, I can't help you.
You made the comparison not me. All I have said regarding SA is that in the rush to bash him his record gets underplayed and other coaches records, especially Tom Davis/TC..they get overstated.

Yes SA and TC have had similar results. The biggest difference being that SA wasn't fortunate enough to have a job where the previous coach discovered one of the 50 best players in the history of basketball.

SA wouldn't be in my top 3 but I put him above any of the up and comer mid major coaches like Archie, but behind Stevens, Donavan, and Marshall. I have him and Bennet about equal. SAs connection to the program does matter to me, and his overstated role in the PP crap is just that, overstated.

Reactions: Paterfamilias
It's what he did with the three seed that matters. He crapped the bed, twice. To Harvard!
Yes it is a negative...it's a factor but the fact that he took a program to a level it has never achieved is also a factor to be considered. Not many coaches can say that they have done that, even fewer can say that they've done that with more than one program

Keep playing pretzel logic.

His teams were given 3 seeds because they were earned. It doesn't matter what their pedigree was in the past, they were given 3 seeds. One of those teams top 15 all year. What happened? They lost in the first round. The other time they managed to eek out a win and then lost to powerhouse Harvard in the second round. HARVARD.

At UCLA with three NBA picks, he lost in the second round to a Florida team with zero.
Of course we are supposed to ignore the fact that he was able to earn that 3 seed when no one else has ever done that at NMU

Of course we are supposed to ignore the fact that he was able to earn that 3 seed when no one else has ever done that at NMU

During the Kenny Thomas years, Bliss got a couple of high seeds as well. I don't think those teams made the Sweet 16 either. I can't look it up right now, but I'm pretty sure.

One cool thing about Alford's New Mexico teams, though, is that he took two totally different teams (as far as the key personnel) to #3 seeds and final AP Top 10 rankings. That's an accomplishment everywhere except the blue bloods.

During the Kenny Thomas years, Bliss got a couple of high seeds as well. I don't think those teams made the Sweet 16 either. I can't look it up right now, but I'm pretty sure.

One cool thing about Alford's New Mexico teams, though, is that he took two totally different teams (as far as the key personnel) to #3 seeds and final AP Top 10 rankings. That's an accomplishment everywhere except the blue bloods.
Bliss got a 3/4 but didn't win the WAC. SA got a 3/5/3 and won the MWC each year

something i dont get, we talk about what the coach gets by being the head coach at IU... great facilities, tradition, great recruiting area, the fans, and being labeled a blue blood. so, has Alford had this type of options at all the other schools, no except UCLA. His work is not done there yet. my point, can you imagine Alford with all those resources we talk about. as i said before, i truly believe Alford needs IU, and I believe IU needs Alford. the family finally comes together. BIG WINS AHEAD!!! OH YA, BANNERS TOO!!

Yes it is a negative...it's a factor but the fact that he took a program to a level it has never achieved is also a factor to be considered. Not many coaches can say that they have done that, even fewer can say that they've done that with more than one program

And totally squandered it with two #3 seeds, including a loss to Harvard of the Ivy League. Terrible.

"the family finally comes together."

What exactly makes you think that hiring Steve Alford "brings the family together?"

It doesn't, but for many because he wore the jersey that's all that matters. Same idiocy that had Mike Woodson as a candidate a few years ago. Or Wittman. Or Frank. For some people if they were in a room with Knight once in their life, that's good enough. Crazy.

something i dont get, we talk about what the coach gets by being the head coach at IU... great facilities, tradition, great recruiting area, the fans, and being labeled a blue blood. so, has Alford had this type of options at all the other schools, no except UCLA. His work is not done there yet. my point, can you imagine Alford with all those resources we talk about. as i said before, i truly believe Alford needs IU, and I believe IU needs Alford. the family finally comes together. BIG WINS AHEAD!!! OH YA, BANNERS TOO!!
Holy crap.

Get over the shorts and hair from 30 years ago. He's mediocre.

Reactions: JonesIndiana
Word is Alford offered 7 years 31mil

UCLA will waive goodbye to him and Bruin fans will be ecstatic. That should tell you all you need to know.

Please no. We fire Crean and hire a guy that is actually worse, and pay him more for the honor, all because he wore an IU jersey one time. Please make it stop!

Reactions: IndyAuthor
He won a lot of regular season games at New Mexico, sure, but was miserable in the NCAA. Went 2-3 in their appearances under him including losing to a 14 seed as a 3 seed. He's been coaching for over 20 years and not only has he never been past the Sweet 16, his teams usually flame out in the first weekend.

You must be one of the people upset by Crean being canned because he won a few B1G regular season titles.

Confused. So we should hire someone like Crean because they had a once in a lifetime Final Four run? Or John Groce because he took OU to Sweet 16? Maybe Tubby because he had some runs at Georgia and UK?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT