ADVERTISEMENT

So Who Are We Still Recruiting at the Safety Position?

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
I've read several times that the staff still considers Safety as one of the positions they hope to sign in February.

Anyone have any names to go along with the position?

Jamar Johnson (CB but tall)
Davonta Wilson (ATH)
Jalen Norwood (CB/S)

All I can find that we have been in contact with who could be scholarship candidates. There are numerous preferred walk on options.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Jamar Johnson (CB but tall)
Davonta Wilson (ATH)
Jalen Norwood (CB/S)

All I can find that we have been in contact with who could be scholarship candidates. There are numerous preferred walk on options.
There’s a 6’4” kid out of brownsburg who I think is a preferred walk on option. Interesting safety at 6’4”. Could move to husky and give us a long body type out there. Looks like Purdue is also interested in him.

Also found Kevin Brewer (5'11" 193lbs CB/S) out of Bedford, OH. Being recruited by Noah Joseph (safeties coach). Listed as having interest, but no visit scheduled as of now.

I think we have more then two spots remaining based on scholarship distribution. Early enrollees can count towards the previous class if recruits surpass the 25 per class limit.

Perhaps Johnson & the JC DE from California (originally from Florida)......

I thought the DE was a JC...guess not...Jonathan King 6'2" 240 lbs from Tampa.

Edit....OK, the DE I was thinking of is Kenny Turnier, a Cal JC guy who originally commiteed to Ore. St., and who is from Miami.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Personally, I would hope they'd find a way to take both the DE's. Pressure on the QB makes everyone else's job easier...

While I understand that sentiment, we have already brought in 3 DEs this class, on top of 3 in 2017 (this excludes Beery who has switched to OL). The coaches just have likely identified other positions of need for the last few spots.

While I understand that sentiment, we have already brought in 3 DEs this class, on top of 3 in 2017 (this excludes Beery who has switched to OL). The coaches just have likely identified other positions of need for the last few spots.

So far though only Head looks like he'll be ready to see the field this fall. At 200lbs or even 220lbs Norris would have to be considered a "project" with a good year and a half in the weight room before he makes an impact. McCabe is said to be a DT project rather than a true DE, so by my count, we are still a little thin at that ultra key position... If the JC fellow and King have enough talent to make an impact by next October I'd take em both...

So far though only Head looks like he'll be ready to see the field this fall. At 200lbs or even 220lbs Norris would have to be considered a "project" with a good year and a half in the weight room before he makes an impact. McCabe is said to be a DT project rather than a true DE, so by my count, we are still a little thin at that ultra key position... If the JC fellow and King have enough talent to make an impact by next October I'd take em both...
With that insight/analysis, that makes more sense if they take a two DE class. But I predict still 1 DE, 1 Safety.

Most guys redshirt on the d line. Norris will be no different. We'll get Reece and Bryant, who both redshirted least year, along with a more seasoned Ziemba from last year's class.

We need numbers at other spots.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Most guys redshirt on the d line. Norris will be no different. We'll get Reece and Bryant, who both redshirted least year, along with a more seasoned Ziemba from last year's class.

We need numbers at other spots.
I don’t know if Norris redshirts. I honestly think that from combines/film, he’s a special talent and may be the fastest DE IU has ever brought in. Really. If he’s 220, he can easily get to 240 and come in and play. From a guys senior year in high school to his freshman year in college I’ve definitely seen 20 pound gains. It’s not unheard of for a growing 18 year old who’s 6’5”. But it also depends on what kind of guy he is. If he’s a McDonald’s and skittles guy, he might not put on the weight. If he’s not a workout guy, it won’t happen. But if he’s a health conscious guy, or a lifting guy, he could definitely come in at 240 and contribute in pass rushing situations.

I don’t know if Norris redshirts. I honestly think that from combines/film, he’s a special talent and may be the fastest DE IU has ever brought in. Really. If he’s 220, he can easily get to 240 and come in and play. From a guys senior year in high school to his freshman year in college I’ve definitely seen 20 pound gains. It’s not unheard of for a growing 18 year old who’s 6’5”. But it also depends on what kind of guy he is. If he’s a McDonald’s and skittles guy, he might not put on the weight. If he’s not a workout guy, it won’t happen. But if he’s a health conscious guy, or a lifting guy, he could definitely come in at 240 and contribute in pass rushing situations.

Sounds good to me. I hope he can do it.

I feel that you can't have enough depth at DE though... With the pounding those guys take throughout the game and the energy expended going full bore on nearly every play you almost need a 4 deep rotation to keep full speed pressure on the offensive tackles and the QB.

Pressure on the QB is the key to every great defense. You keep him hurried and stressed you'll keep most offenses out of sync... ( in my opinion )

Having great depth at that position (DE) means guys can go full speed without worrying about running out of gas late in the game...

According to 247sports, Cunningham (RB/ATH) is no longer taking his official visit to IU. Could this be an indication that we are focusing solely on DE, S, and grad transfers? Thoughts? (Same is true for OL Hamilton Hall not taking his visit)

I don't know if you had the chance to see the Ballou video but he strongly emphasized nutrition and that his group of coaches would be ON IT including a nutritionist! Anyone who has lifted knows what a solid diet can do in regards to gains. Really excited about the Ballou hire and can't wait to see what these guys look like next year!

According to 247sports, Cunningham (RB/ATH) is no longer taking his official visit to IU. Could this be an indication that we are focusing solely on DE, S, and grad transfers? Thoughts? (Same is true for OL Hamilton Hall not taking his visit)

Too bad about Hall he would have been a jewel of the class...

Sounds like what you are saying will be the case: a DE (or 2), a S and maybe a grad transfer or two to be picked up at a later date.

To be honest, I've lost track..., but awhile back (last month after early signing) I thought we were 6 under the 85 max of scholarships allowed (and I could have miscalculated originally). This was in spite of the fact that those who have nearly always been proven correct to date have said we only have three to give on 2/7 so I'm really curious to see how the final numbers total up, both on 2/7/18 and just prior to Fall Camp.

I trust that the staff will make good use of those we do have left...

I don't know if you had the chance to see the Ballou video but he strongly emphasized nutrition and that his group of coaches would be ON IT including a nutritionist! Anyone who has lifted knows what a solid diet can do in regards to gains. Really excited about the Ballou hire and can't wait to see what these guys look like next year!
I believe that Ballou will have great nutrition. I agree with that hire, and I’m hopeful there. The question for me is will Norris do what he needs to do before he steps on campus. If he is going to be a good 240 by opening day, it will largely be up to what he does starting now basically. That means he’s got about 6 months on his own that he needs to be eating well in order to put on an additional 20 pounds if he’s at 220. When he gets on campus, I believe he will be good due to Ballou being here, but obviously if he did nothing from a nutrition standpoint the 6 months leading up to his arrival on campus, he won’t be ready to go as a True freshman. That’s fine, but I’d welcome the additional depth this year if he can play.

Latest article by Matthew Weaver lists DE James Miller as one of the potential visitors for this weekend. At this point I hope that one of the three DE prospects that make visits will commit. In my opinion, best case scenario is one of the high school DE and Kenny Turnier from JUCO both choose IU.

Reactions: 76-1
Like NFL, Best available for last spots. If I could name two now I’d take LB, WR or CB/S.
Idk that WR is the need everyone thinks it is. Remember we are bring in 4 WRs this class, but 2 are very highly regarded walk ons. If there's one spot that walk ons can excel at in the spread is WR. Our two WR walk ons this year are very fast. They are small, but they have speed and that will help them see the filed at returner and the slot positions.

There will be a MLB visiting this weekend and a Safety. So looks like these are the HS spots, besides DE that the staff wants to fill.

Idk that WR is the need everyone thinks it is. Remember we are bring in 4 WRs this class, but 2 are very highly regarded walk ons. If there's one spot that walk ons can excel at in the spread is WR. Our two WR walk ons this year are very fast. They are small, but they have speed and that will help them see the filed at returner and the slot positions.

There will be a MLB visiting this weekend and a Safety. So looks like these are the HS spots, besides DE that the staff wants to fill.

Who is the LB? Bastida?

I wonder if Hall not visiting is based on our decision or his. With all that has been said as to the limitations of our OL last year, I was expecting more OLs in this class. We have two plus a grad transfer. Does this mean we have the bodies just not yet mature and ready to play? With the issues on the OL and some scholarships opening up, I assumed they would be targeting another OL. Maybe the OL pool is dry at this date, but kind of hard to believe there are not some available. Just seems curious.

I wonder if Hall not visiting is based on our decision or his. With all that has been said as to the limitations of our OL last year, I was expecting more OLs in this class. We have two plus a grad transfer. Does this mean we have the bodies just not yet mature and ready to play? With the issues on the OL and some scholarships opening up, I assumed they would be targeting another OL. Maybe the OL pool is dry at this date, but kind of hard to believe there are not some available. Just seems curious.
Think the issue is we have bodies, will they be good enough ? Who knows, but you cannot just keep adding to the OL numbers and not pay attention to the other areas. Building the OL will be a process, which is why most rational folks realize it may take 3 or 4 years for CTA to build what he wants here.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
Think the issue is we have bodies, will they be good enough ? Who knows, but you cannot just keep adding to the OL numbers and not pay attention to the other areas. Building the OL will be a process, which is why most rational folks realize it may take 3 or 4 years for CTA to build what he wants here.

Finally someone that is with my line of thinking.

So you think adding one more linemen (4 total) to a 25 plus class means we are taking attention away from other spots? Prior recruiting classes had around 3 or 4 per class. Seems if this is a real weakness we would maybe add an extra recruit over past years. I can't believe it will take 3 or 4 years to have a sufficient line. Maybe that is not what you are saying. Maybe we can just agree to disagree.

There was plenty of chat about this in another thread.

If cta thought the line was a problem there would be ol transfers and new recruits.

The other thing is this talk if 3,4,5 year build? Do you expect to lose for that many years and still get young men in here? If you were playing football and a coach came to you with a losing record for that long would you want to come and play here? Thats like a business losing money for 4 straight years and lets keep dumping money into something thats not working. I don't understand that.

So you think adding one more linemen (4 total) to a 25 plus class means we are taking attention away from other spots? Prior recruiting classes had around 3 or 4 per class. Seems if this is a real weakness we would maybe add an extra recruit over past years. I can't believe it will take 3 or 4 years to have a sufficient line. Maybe that is not what you are saying. Maybe we can just agree to disagree.
You completely miss the point, we will have 17 OL out of 85 scholarship players, you just don’t keep adding to that total because OL has been a “weakness”. It has to be done incrementally or you will be ignoring other areas. Big part of being a head coach is roster management.
No one ever said it will take 3 or 4 years to have a “sufficient “ line, I said it would take 3 or 4 years for CTA to “ build what he wants “, big difference. This means we will be at a point where we don’t have to start freshmen on the OL, we will be able to redshirt OL prospects and give them that extra year of learning, work in the S&C program, maturity.

You completely miss the point, we will have 17 OL out of 85 scholarship players, you just don’t keep adding to that total because OL has been a “weakness”. It has to be done incrementally or you will be ignoring other areas. Big part of being a head coach is roster management.
No one ever said it will take 3 or 4 years to have a “sufficient “ line, I said it would take 3 or 4 years for CTA to “ build what he wants “, big difference. This means we will be at a point where we don’t have to start freshmen on the OL, we will be able to redshirt OL prospects and give them that extra year of learning, work in the S&C program, maturity.
No I didn't completely miss your point, I just don't agree with it. I don't think that adding one more lineman recruit, 4 total, will result in a big loss in roster management. I am not suggesting all remaining recruiting spots go to OLs, just one. I believe we have 14 scholarship lineman for next year without recruits. If this is truly an area of concern, I find it hard to believe 18 scholarship OLs, as opposed to 17, will cause major problems in roster management. If there are no good OL left, that is a different issue. If we have bodies that won't be good enough, then one extra recruit in this area might pay big down the road.

No I didn't completely miss your point, I just don't agree with it. I don't think that adding one more lineman recruit, 4 total, will result in a big loss in roster management. I am not suggesting all remaining recruiting spots go to OLs, just one. I believe we have 14 scholarship lineman for next year without recruits. If this is truly an area of concern, I find it hard to believe 18 scholarship OLs, as opposed to 17, will cause major problems in roster management. If there are no good OL left, that is a different issue. If we have bodies that won't be good enough, then one extra recruit in this area might pay big down the road.
Ok, where does it end then ? Why not 2 more ? 3 more ?
The hope is some of our youngest guys are good enough, but you cannot change on OL overnight. Can you improve it ? Certainly, and I bet they will, it doesn’t mean it will be where CTA or Hiller want it to be next year, nor will binging in one more recruit change that. Making the OL better will be a “process”, the idea being it gets better year by year until you become like UW or Iowa where you are usually reloading rather than rebuilding.
Like you said , maybe we just need to agree to disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT