ADVERTISEMENT

So what's more painful . . . childbirth . . .

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
or an infected ingrown toenail?

Gotta have an on-again-off-again inflamed toenail on my big toe cut out later today. I don't know what I'm looking forward to most, wearing a torture instrument otherwise known as a men's leather dress shoe until 3:30, getting cut on or walking around wearing a torture instrument otherwise known as a men's leather dress shoe during the recovery . . .

. . . I guess MrsSope will have to mow the lawn this weekend . . . .

My arm had a compound fracture and that was really painful, but I think a tooth infection that eventually led to a root canal and some of my sinus headaches have been pretty horrible as well. I have to say though passing a stone sounds really painful.

The compound fracture was probably the worst, but I was eventually so doped up on morphine for 4 days I didn't feel anything.

Good luck to ya.

MAN UP! Ingrown toenails hurt worse than the procedure to cut em out. I had both big toe nails done the same day and played Hoops later that evening.. there was blood, but not as much as when they were ingrown.

However, if you can milk and have Mrs. Sope mow the lawn in a two-piece while you drink beers... You have a WIN-WIN

Don't know, but back when I used to run I once had a black toenail that was so excruciatingly painful (in the middle of the night, of course) that I heated up a paper clip over a flame to glowing and melted a hole through the top of the nail to relieve the pressure. I can't describe how much it hurt.

Worse pain I've had was the two times I've thrown my back out. I used to think people who complained about how severe back pain could be we're just being overly dramatic. Until I experienced it. That's something I hope I never have to go through again.

MAN UP! Ingrown toenails hurt worse than the procedure to cut em out. I had both big toe nails done the same day and played Hoops later that evening.. there was blood, but not as much as when they were ingrown.

However, if you can milk and have Mrs. Sope mow the lawn in a two-piece while you drink beers... You have a WIN-WIN

Yeah, the only hard part is going to be getting MrsSope's attention while she's mowing the yard and I need another beer.

Gotta have an on-again-off-again inflamed toenail on my big toe cut out later today. I don't know what I'm looking forward to most, wearing a torture instrument otherwise known as a men's leather dress shoe until 3:30, getting cut on or walking around wearing a torture instrument otherwise known as a men's leather dress shoe during the recovery . . .

I had one cut out last Thursday. You didn't hear me on this board crying about it, did you? But if it means getting the Mrs to do the yardwork for you, more power to you.

Worse pain I've had was the two times I've thrown my back out. I used to think people who complained about how severe back pain could be we're just being overly dramatic. Until I experienced it. That's something I hope I never have to go through again.

Yeah. I've got degenerative dick disease and had one round of surgery a few years ago. Back pain can be completely debilitating. I still have issues now and then and times when I cannot even sit in a chair. And when the sciatic nerve is involved and it affects a leg...oh man.

When I occasionally mention I have back problems someone will inevitably say something like, "yeah, I was working in the garden and my muscles are really sore today too." They have no idea what disk-related back pain is.

Had my left Big toe nail removed permenately when I was a kid (parents choice) because I was so prone to them. After a week long baseball tournament I got picked up for an all star league and it got especially bad. When them removed it parents opted for the long term solution. Makes your toe look funny but it's not bad if you get them often

When my gall bladder blew out it was worse than any pain from my kidney cancer. Happened about six weeks after my right kidney was removed. I thought I was dying and the surgeon said I would have if I'd waited much longer.

Kidney stones. Game. Set. Match. I'll give an honorable mention to having a chest tube removed. I don't recommend it. At least it's quick though.

Yeah. I've got degenerative dick disease and had one round of surgery a few years ago. Back pain can be completely debilitating. I still have issues now and then and times when I cannot even sit in a chair. And when the sciatic nerve is involved and it affects a leg...oh man.

When I occasionally mention I have back problems someone will inevitably say something like, "yeah, I was working in the garden and my muscles are really sore today too." They have no idea what disk-related back pain is.
Best autocorrect ever.

It's been an hour and nobody has pounced on this yet? You guys are slipping.

Well after all the craziness of Caitlyn, we want to support our OTF brethren in this time of need. I like to think of it as adding to the diversity of the trailer park.

I'm shocked that, after scrollling through this thread, Hottie hasn't yet bitch-slapped you .....

McHoop

I'm shocked that, after scrollling through this thread, Hottie hasn't yet bitch-slapped you .....

McHoop

Yeah, I know . . . and I was so looking forward to that . . .

. . . which might be why she hasn't. Women have a strange ability to sense stuff like that . . . .

Yup, I've had back pain too from a slipped disc . . . couldn't sit down into a chair, had to fall into it . . . it took a week of steroids, 3 months of naprosen and 6 weeks of PT to get past it, and I had it easy compared to the folks with herniated/degenerative discs. My dad was one of those; he had experimental surgery to fuse 3 vertebrae in 1968.

About 15 years ago my older brother had the pleasure of getting an ingrown toenail removed, and back then the procedure for it was to stick a needle underneath the toenail before removing it. Obviously my older brother was not happy about it, and the doctor had the nerve to say "well, it doesn't hurt me". I've been traumatized ever since.

I've never had a slipped disc, but have had a chest tube removed, and don't recall it being all that bad. Granted I was on all sorts of painkillers, so it was probably pretty painful, but I can't remember it.

The most painful medical procedure I've had was the isotope injections prior to my sentinel node biopsy. I really wasn't prepared and nearly came off the table. Fortunately it was a brief pain, but it was like flaming acid going in.

Most painful condition I've had was from a tooth and waiting for a root canal. Longest night I've ever had, even with pain meds. Most painful medical procedure was a nerve block when I broke my arm. Wondered why they had multiple people around me as they were doing it. Was to keep me from falling off the table as I thrashed from the pain. It was awful.

Kidney stones. Game. Set. Match. I'll give an honorable mention to having a chest tube removed. I don't recommend it. At least it's quick though.

Never had kidney stones so I can't comment on that. But getting stabbed and getting shot is no picnic. Not something I'd ever want to go through again.

I popped 4 ribs out of place and it had to be up their with most painful things I have had happen to me. It is bad when you can't sleep or breathe. Not to many positions feel great. I would hate to see what broken ribs feel like because dislocated/ popped ribs does not feel good at all. I have broken my foot and done some other dumb stuff but that was the worst.

I popped 4 ribs out of place and it had to be up their with most painful things I have had happen to me. It is bad when you can't sleep or breathe. Not to many positions feel great. I would hate to see what broken ribs feel like because dislocated/ popped ribs does not feel good at all. I have broken my foot and done some other dumb stuff but that was the worst.
I watched Tom Crean coach against a Syracuse Zone. TWICE! The horror...

If you had kids with this wife I hope for your sake she doesn't see this post. I never will forget being in our birthing class and our instructor passing around a 10cm disc. I said at the time, no human should have a hole in their body that large and live. I'm going childbirth all the way.

worst pain ever
- back pain/spasm from carrying babies in baby carriers (twice)
- back pain from trying to do a sit up and learning I had a protruding disc (felt like getting stabbed)
- cramps in calf muscles while asleep (felt like getting stabbed)

At least they give you drugs during childbirth

Never had kidney stones so I can't comment on that. But getting stabbed and getting shot is no picnic. Not something I'd ever want to go through again.

Well, thankfully I don't have that to measure against. Yea, I'd say you got everyone beat. Unless somebody has been burned alive and lived to talk about it.

I've been pretty lucky to never be through anything too horrible, and this one might sound lame, but anyone who has experienced it will know what I am talking about. Many years ago, I was in the hospital after a seizure, so I was already sore, and when I woke up, they were pumping drugs into my blood stream, but too fast. I don't know if it was merely the volume, or the combo of that and the types of drugs they were, but I felt like my entire body was slowly setting on fire from the inside out. Once they slowed the drip down, things went back to normal.

I just remembered that I had the pleasure of having my broken leg swell inside of the cast my freshman year of high school. Broke my leg while playing hockey, went to the ER where they put a cast on it, and I had the pleasure of feeling my leg (straight fracture through the tibia and fibula with s spiral fracture up the shin) swell inside of the cast. To make it worse they only gave me T3 Tylenol for the pain. I'm glad I've never had a slipped disc, but that was painful.

Hang in there my friend. One thing I do is cut my nails once a month. I will dig the areas where I tend to have it ingrown. This is somewhat painful,but not as much as yours most likely.

Had my left Big toe nail removed permenately when I was a kid (parents choice) because I was so prone to them. After a week long baseball tournament I got picked up for an all star league and it got especially bad. When them removed it parents opted for the long term solution. Makes your toe look funny but it's not bad if you get them often

Well, the doc presented that option, sort of. After 3 rounds of different types of local anesthesia, he cut the portion of the toenail under skin . . . and when he pulled it out he said "sheez this one looks like a tooth". The piece was about 1/4" wide and about an inch long.

Then he cauterized the tissue at the base of the cut, which will keep the toenail from regrowing where it had grown under the skin. Thanks for the suggestion.

worst pain ever
- back pain/spasm from carrying babies in baby carriers (twice)
- back pain from trying to do a sit up and learning I had a protruding disc (felt like getting stabbed)
- cramps in calf muscles while asleep (felt like getting stabbed)

At least they give you drugs during childbirth
Never had the calf cramps, but waking up with a hamstring cramp is excruciating.

Well, the doc presented that option, sort of. After 3 rounds of different types of local anesthesia, he cut the portion of the toenail under skin . . . and when he pulled it out he said "sheez this one looks like a tooth". The piece was about 1/4" wide and about an inch long.

Then he cauterized the tissue at the base of the cut, which will keep the toenail from regrowing where it had grown under the skin. Thanks for the suggestion.
FYI it will hurt like a mother when people step on your foot but aside from that it doesn't matter. On and when you wear saddles people will ask you "what happened"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT