ADVERTISEMENT

So is the Womens NCAA final four being thrown to the #1 seeds.....

Tscurlo

Junior
Dec 11, 2011
Watched UCONN vs Iowa women last night with about 1:39 to go in the forth quarter... UCONN gets the ball on a turnover and calls a time out.

They set up their play, UCONN get's the ball in and while maneuvering for a pick near UCONN's bench, the refs call an Offensive foul for a screen. To me.... it was a very questionable call.... especially since a score by UCONN would have put them up over Iowa.

Seems to me.... in the last 2 minutes of the game... the Refs normally swallow their whistles, unless there is a huge gap in the score and teams are fouling intentionally. This wasn't the case last night.

So to my original question...... does the NCAA really want their POSTER CHILD CLARK in the final game against an undefeated South Carolina team.... to draw exposure and $$$$$

Reactions: IU73
I am sure those who make money on this - the league, NCAA, gamblers, etc - want Clark to be there. Now wanting and illegally interfering is a huge difference.
I thought there were several bad calls. But in basketball things happen so fast I do feel honest errors are made.

Foul or not you could make that call virtual every possession of the game. Sure they want Clark in the final game. It's all about $$$ and ratings.

Reactions: IU73
Both teams played terribly, neither could point to a single call as to why either could have lost.

I am sure those who make money on this - the league, NCAA, gamblers, etc - want Clark to be there. Now wanting and illegally interfering is a huge difference.
I thought there were several bad calls. But in basketball things happen so fast I do feel honest errors are made.
I watched the whole game, and there were calls that went both ways. In the first half it appeared that UConn was really outmuscling Iowa on the Boards with a lot of contact on the Play. There were several plays involving contact with multiple players going to the floor and no call.
My understanding of the rules on setting screens is that The NCAA put a special emphasis on the Rule this year. Feet can't be more than shoulder length apart and once you are set You can't use any part of Your Body to widen or extend your Body. Your hands have to be still either at your side, or in front of You to "protect the family jewels " as We used to say.

In many cases illegal screen calls are the fault of the ball handler Who starts a move before the Screen is fully set.

I watched the whole game, and there were calls that went both ways. In the first half it appeared that UConn was really outmuscling Iowa on the Boards with a lot of contact on the Play. There were several plays involving contact with multiple players going to the floor and no call.
My understanding of the rules on setting screens is that The NCAA put a special emphasis on the Rule this year. Feet can't be more than shoulder length apart and once you are set You can't use any part of Your Body to widen or extend your Body. Your hands have to be still either at your side, or in front of You to "protect the family jewels " as We used to say.

In many cases illegal screen calls are the fault of the ball handler Who starts a move before the Screen is fully set.
Your last sentence is really observant. I will be watching more closely. Good coaching point of emphasis.

Reactions: Tscurlo

"Feet can't be more than shoulder length apart"

There was a lot of this happening in Men's games this year.... which included hip checking as defenders tried to work around the pick. Most of them weren't called.

Watched UCONN vs Iowa women last night with about 1:39 to go in the forth quarter... UCONN gets the ball on a turnover and calls a time out.

They set up their play, UCONN get's the ball in and while maneuvering for a pick near UCONN's bench, the refs call an Offensive foul for a screen. To me.... it was a very questionable call....
Clear foul to me. Glad they had the guts to make the call. Also, I was glad the pick wasn't set on highness or else it would have been even more questioned.

When I was coaching, I would always make a point with the officials that if you call a foul for (reaching, over the back, moving screen, etc.) in the 1Q, then you need to be consistent and call it the same for the entire game, even in the last 2 minutes. If its a foul, then call it, no matter how much time is left in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT