ADVERTISEMENT

So here's an article about a kid from Center Grove who may have trouble in his future Presidential campaign...

This line though:

Angela Umphery says her Black son, a Center Grove student, was behind the player in the photo. She says as a single white mother, she’s been trying to find ways to have conversations with her son about race.

“We need to talk more about this,” Umphery said. “Somebody needs to educate the kids. They need to talk to them because this is serious.”

Umphery says the student seen in blackface should be disciplined but she doesn’t believe he should be kicked off the football team. She says she mostly disappointed with adults who were there at the time the photo was taken and those who took to social media to express their opinions.

I'm not the world's greatest parent but I believe I am primarily responsible for how my kid turns out. Asking somebody else to educate your child about racism is fine as long as you're doing it at home and setting an example. Lashing out that others aren't doing enough when you might be shirking your own responsibility is a problem.

This line though:

I'm not the world's greatest parent but I believe I am primarily responsible for how my kid turns out. Asking somebody else to educate your child about racism is fine as long as you're doing it at home and setting an example. Lashing out that others aren't doing enough when you might be shirking your own responsibility is a problem.
She wasn't the mom of the kid in blackface. She was the mom of a kid who is black.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
She wasn't the mom of the kid in blackface. She was the mom of a kid who is black.
No I got that part. I think she was concerned about why her son (who is black or at least mixed) was standing behind him but then said something to the effect of "somebody needs to talk to these kids". I can only imagine if I'd been in that photo what "talk" I would have had with my parents.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge

Popeye Williams, the supposed target, has my vote, though.

Center Grove investigating photo of student in blackface that went viral following championship game​

I'm thinking a little SEL may be in order for CG, right?
You know that there is a whole bunch of daylight between "this is a white priveleged and systemically racist system designed to hold minorities down and you children should apologize for your whiteness" and "don't be a dick" right?

Nobody has a problem with the latter.

No I got that part. I think she was concerned about why her son (who is black or at least mixed) was standing behind him but then said something to the effect of "somebody needs to talk to these kids". I can only imagine if I'd been in that photo what "talk" I would have had with my parents.
I took it differently, but I see your point.

Reactions: larsIU
You know that there is a whole bunch of daylight between "this is a white priveleged and systemically racist system designed to hold minorities down and you children should apologize for your whiteness" and "don't be a dick" right?

Nobody has a problem with the latter.
Oh, I know.
Having had some experience with Center Grove and the school system there (lived there for a while), I am totally not surprised by this story. I also would be surprised if anything at all, even for Mr. Jolson, will come of all of this.

Oh, I know.
Having had some experience with Center Grove and the school system there (lived there for a while), I am totally not surprised by this story. I also would be surprised if anything at all, even for Mr. Jolson, will come of all of this.
Having had experience with IPS, the issue is considerably worse

You made a bold, yet 100% baseless assertion. I asked you to explain.
Your unwillingness to do so speaks volumes.
So tell me how the entire CG school system and CG community is racist? and yes, that is exactly the implication you were making. Quite frankly, it is insulting and disgusting.

A 15 year old kid made a big mistake. Fortunately Popeye has handled the issue significantly better than the adults, including you.

So tell me how the entire CG school system and CG community is racist? and yes, that is exactly the implication you were making. Quite frankly, it is insulting and disgusting.

A 15 year old kid made a big mistake. Fortunately Popeye has handled the issue significantly better than the adults, including you.
I never said the entire CG school system or community. Did live there for several years. Kids went to school there. Still know people there. My implication was about the power the football staff wields there. It’s pretty unlimited. Not really a big secret.
So, let’s hear your experienced take on IPS.

I never said the entire CG school system or community. Did live there for several years. Kids went to school there. Still know people there. My implication was about the power the football staff wields there. It’s pretty unlimited. Not really a big secret.
So, let’s hear your experienced take on IPS.
when you make a comment like this...

"Having had some experience with Center Grove and the school system there (lived there for a while), I am totally not surprised by this story."

...and the meat of the story is blackface and racism, your implication is racism, not the power the football team wields. If that is truly what you were implying, then I apologize, but I would work on the words you use.

I give Popeye huge marks on how he has handled this. The adults get an F.

Reactions: jet812

"Having had some experience with Center Grove and the school system there (lived there for a while), I am totally not surprised by this story."

...and the meat of the story is blackface and racism, your implication is racism, not the power the football team wields. If that is truly what you were implying, then I apologize, but I would work on the words you use.

Maybe you need to work on your reading comprehension..

So, let’s hear about your IPS experiences.

Maybe you need to work on your reading comprehension..

So, let’s hear about your IPS experiences.
There are several. Do you want to hear about the child who pulled a knife out in class to a friend of ours who teaches in IPS? What do you want to know? Tell me about all of your racists friends in CG. Tell us all about your experiences there.

And my reading comprehension is just fine...race baiter

There are several. Do you want to hear about the child who pulled a knife out in class to a friend of ours who teaches in IPS? What do you want to know? Tell me about all of your racists friends in CG. Tell us all about your experiences there.

And my reading comprehension is just fine...race baiter
You seem preoccupied with race. Since you think that’s what I was talking about, I’m very interested in your story in that context.

CG remindes me of Nobletuckey 1995. basically a redneck area that was all to quickly exploded in size and filled with new folks of various shapes and sizes. Growing pains are tough.

Oh, I know.

Are you saying people from CG are racist? That is what I getting from your post.

CG remindes me of Nobletuckey 1995. basically a redneck area that was all to quickly exploded in size and filled with new folks of various shapes and sizes. Growing pains are tough.
I don’t recognize anything east of 37 and you can’t make me.

You took a long walk on a short sidewalk

Ahhhhh. My friend. 37 splits off from 69 at fishers. If you’re headed north. The land between 37 and 69 is not the REAL Nobletucky of my youth.
Gotcha. I get disoriented when in that area. The fumes from hot vinyl in the summer are tough. :cool:

Reactions: larsIU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT