ADVERTISEMENT

Smokin' ? 🚬

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
Hey all, figured I would check in. I haven't been following super close like I used to but I have watched most of the first two games. At the end of the day it's the games that matter and most of the chatter ends up being noise.

Coach Cig has definitely grown on me. I guess a 77-3 win will do that lol, but seriously, my initial impression of him was that he is kind of a jerk tbh. But from the in-game interviews I've seen he seeks like kind of a cool dude. Maybe I misjudged? More importantly, watching this 24 offense you immediately see that touch of class that is closer to DeBoer than say DeBord or Sheridan. (BTW I almost fell out off my chair when I saw Sheridan is the OC at BAMA. I had no idea...I defended Sheridan more than most but he landed Alabama???)

To be fair western illinoi is really bad. I would have probably predicted like 55-6 for the score. As always I caution against being too reactionary but definitely some positive signs. From what I gather the offense is detail-oriented and is predicated on efficiency and getting the ball out fast, which I'm always a fan of. Rourke is accurate and has hit on several deep balls that were absolute dimes. So you have dink-and-dunk with the ability to create some calculated explosive plays. Throw in some TE utilization and DH is a happy camper. Why every OC in the history of the world hasn't incorporated TEs into their schemes is beyond me but I digress... Zero INTs through two games is great to see. Take care of the pig skin!

But then you have balance too with a nice looking run game. 278.5 rush yards per game is obviously skewed at this point but if they can keep it north of 150 per game defenses have to respect that. Which opens up opportunities through the air. I think like 11 different Hoosiers toted the rock last night - I don't ever remember seeing that many ball-carriers. Again it's western illinoi but some of the down field / second level blocking by the o-line last night...chef's kiss. That was one of the issues during the CTA era, ineffective blocking at the 2nd level.

I've noticed some physicality too. That hit where I think it was a safety cleanly pounded the WIU receiver where it was going to be a catch but he jarred it loose before possession was established... Then Ellison on the first rushing TD, he took the contact to the WIU defender 3 yards into the end zone, love to see that mentality.

Hopefully someone else can chime in and break down the defense. Obviously I can see the stats (which again are suuuper skewed at this point but still quite enjoyable to look at):

5.0 ppg
32.5 rushing yds / g
119.0 passings yds / g
151.5 total yds / g (vs IU's 557.5 ypg 🤯😂)

Aiden Fisher looks like a beast. Tackling has been good. Heck I don't even know what scheme they run...looks like a base 4-3? I'm assuming he mixes in other looks?

Next up: UCLA at the Rose Bowl? Yes please!!

Last edited:
CCC is a rough around the edges, no-nonsense guy. He has an ego but seems like he can back it up and knows what he is doing. Obviously a lot of coaches and players liked how CCC handles the team well enough to follow him from JMU.

Lot of games are starting to look more winnable than we had previously expected. Michigan was blown out by Texas, Washington lost to WSU. Take a pic of big ten standings (we are on top)

Charlotte - W (4-0)
Maryland - Toss Up (5-0)
Northwestern - W (6-0)
Nebraska - Toss Up (6-1)
Washington - Toss Up (7-1)
Michigan State - Toss Up (7-2)
Michigan - L (7-3)
Ohio State - L (7-4)
Purdue - W (8-4)

If you split the toss ups, then 8-4 is looking like a reasonable guess now and Michigan may move into being a toss up. Should definitely be enough to get a great recruiting / portal class to keep the ball rolling

CCC is a rough around the edges, no-nonsense guy. He has an ego but seems like he can back it up and knows what he is doing. Obviously a lot of coaches and players liked how CCC handles the team well enough to follow him from JMU.

Lot of games are starting to look more winnable than we had previously expected. Michigan was blown out by Texas, Washington lost to WSU. Take a pic of big ten standings (we are on top)

Charlotte - W (4-0)
Maryland - Toss Up (5-0)
Northwestern - W (6-0)
Nebraska - Toss Up (6-1)
Michigan - L (7-3)
Ohio State - L (7-4)
Purdue - W (8-4)

If you split the toss ups, then 8-4 is looking like a reasonable guess now and Michigan may move into being a toss up. Should definitely be enough to get a great recruiting / portal class to keep the ball rolling
ESPN analytics chance of winning % as of today

Charlotte 97.7%
Maryland 65.5%
Northwestern 80.1%
Nebraska 64.7%
Washington 69.1%
Michigan State 73.5%
Michigan 59.7%
Ohio State 16.3%
Purdue 90.7%

Charlotte 97.7%
Maryland 65.5%
Northwestern 80.1%
Nebraska 64.7%
Washington 69.1%
Michigan State 73.5%
Michigan 59.7%
Ohio State 16.3%
Purdue 90.7%
Not sure I'm quite that optimistic yet but like the numbers.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Charlotte - W (4-0)
Maryland - Toss Up (5-0)
Northwestern - W (6-0)
Nebraska - Toss Up (6-1)
Michigan - L (7-3)
Ohio State - L (7-4)
Purdue - W (8-4)

I would put Michigan in the toss up category if not outright W. Michigan St might be the tougher game between the two. Nebraska is looking kind of scary although I think they might have trouble keeping up offensively.

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet

Charlotte 97.7%
Maryland 65.5%
Northwestern 80.1%
Nebraska 64.7%
Washington 69.1%
Michigan State 73.5%
Michigan 59.7%
Ohio State 16.3%
Purdue 90.7%

archer-atop.gif

Hey all, figured I would check in. I haven't been following super close like I used to but I have watched most of the first two games. At the end of the day it's the games that matter and most of the chatter ends up being noise.

Coach Cig has definitely grown on me. I guess a 77-3 win will do that lol, but seriously, my initial impression of him was that he is kind of a jerk tbh. But from the in-game interviews I've seen he seeks like kind of a cool dude. Maybe I misjudged? More importantly, watching this 24 offense you immediately see that touch of class that is closer to DeBoer than say DeBord or Sheridan. (BTW I almost fell out off my chair when I saw Sheridan is the OC at BAMA. I had no idea...I defended Sheridan more than most but he landed Alabama???)

To be fair western illinoi is really bad. I would have probably predicted like 55-6 for the score. As always I caution against being too reactionary but definitely some positive signs. From what I gather the offense is detail-oriented and is predicated on efficiency and getting the ball out fast, which I'm always a fan of. Rourke is accurate and has hit on several deep balls that were absolute dimes. So you have dink-and-dunk with the ability to create some calculated explosive plays. Throw in some TE utilization and DH is a happy camper. Why every OC in the history of the world hasn't incorporated TEs into their schemes is beyond me but I digress... Zero INTs through two games is great to see. Take care of the pig skin!

But then you have balance too with a nice looking run game. 278.5 rush yards per game is obviously skewed at this point but if they can keep it north of 150 per game defenses have to respect that. Which opens up opportunities through the air. I think like 11 different Hoosiers toted the rock last night - I don't ever remember seeing that many ball-carriers. Again it's western illinoi but some of the down field / second level blocking by the o-line last night...chef's kiss. That was one of the issues during the CTA era, ineffective blocking at the 2nd level.

I've noticed some physicality too. That hit where I think it was a safety cleanly pounded the WIU receiver where it was going to be a catch but he jarred it loose before possession was established... Then Ellison on the first rushing TD, he took the contact to the WIU defender 3 yards into the end zone, love to see that mentality.

Hopefully someone else can chime in and break down the defense. Obviously I can see the stats (which again are suuuper skewed at this point but still quite enjoyable to look at):

5.0 ppg
32.5 rushing yds / g
119.0 passings yds / g
151.5 total yds / g (vs IU's 557.5 ypg 🤯😂)

Aiden Fisher looks like a beast. Tackling has been good. Heck I don't even know what scheme they run...looks like a base 4-3? I'm assuming he mixes in other looks?

Next up: UCLA at the Rose Bowl? Yes please!!
I had the same first impression, the Purdue sucks thing and so does OSU and Michigan was not a favorite quote. The I win, google it also was unsettling. he also comes off as arrogant. However I saw a BIG interview and he explained the Purdue as just got caught up in the moment and he felt like he had to make splash and the commit just came out. Ok i understand he is fighting a long history of losing. As long as we continue to see results like we have so far I am good.

I had the same first impression, the Purdue sucks thing and so does OSU and Michigan was not a favorite quote. The I win, google it also was unsettling. he also comes off as arrogant. However I saw a BIG interview and he explained the Purdue as just got caught up in the moment and he felt like he had to make splash and the commit just came out. Ok i understand he is fighting a long history of losing. As long as we continue to see results like we have so far I am good.
CCC is both cocky and brash and that is EXACTLY what Indiana needs.

He has shown to be a decent guy who stays under control in his comments to the media. Gets asked a repetitive or maybe even dumb question he might crack a smile, but then he answers it.

Pleased about that. So any of the cocky or flamboyant comments about winning, get an easy pass from me since his basic interactions are good.

He’s also explained that the coach is a “salesman”. He was grinning about his brashness. Hes selling the product and I’m buying it. So is the media. Cig has the goods. Don’t take him when he’s selling the program to seriously.

I would put Michigan in the toss up category if not outright W. Michigan St might be the tougher game between the two. Nebraska is looking kind of scary although I think they might have trouble keeping up offensively.

MSU beat Maryland by a FG, so MSU is better than Maryland. But MSU only beat FAU 16-10. That same FAU team got smoked by FIU, who we boat raced out of the Rock. I get you can't always count on this logic but I think FIU could've beat MSU.

I think Nebraska is going to be tough and unfortunately for them, they play #24 Illinois, Rutgers, IU, Ohio State, USC, Wisconsin and Iowa. Their final record likely won't reflect how good they are. IU gets three of our four toughest opponents, at home. Neb, UM, Washington (we go to OSU). The schedule fits perfectly for IU.

He has shown to be a decent guy who stays under control in his comments to the media. Gets asked a repetitive or maybe even dumb question he might crack a smile, but then he answers it.

Pleased about that. So any of the cocky or flamboyant comments about winning, get an easy pass from me since his basic interactions are good.
Well said and pretty much where I've landed. I said going into the B10 pre-season pressers that I was concerned because I could see him getting into it with the media....but he definitely didn't do that and handled things very well.

Like you said, cockiness can come off bad if you're a d**K, but he does seem to interact very well.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
MSU beat Maryland by a FG, so MSU is better than Maryland. But MSU only beat FAU 16-10. That same FAU team got smoked by FIU, who we boat raced out of the Rock. I get you can't always count on this logic but I think FIU could've beat MSU.

I think Nebraska is going to be tough and unfortunately for them, they play #24 Illinois, Rutgers, IU, Ohio State, USC, Wisconsin and Iowa. Their final record likely won't reflect how good they are. IU gets three of our four toughest opponents, at home. Neb, UM, Washington (we go to OSU). The schedule fits perfectly for IU.
Ah yes, the transitive property of college football wins. I love that math!

I liked his bodacious intro. Like even more his rigidity to fully back it up. Been a long time since we've seen ass whippings suffered by 3 opponents in a row.

Charlotte - W (4-0)
Maryland - Toss Up (5-0)
Northwestern - W (6-0)
Nebraska - Toss Up (6-1)
Michigan - L (7-3)
Ohio State - L (7-4)
Purdue - W (8-4)

I think Michigan is a toss up. And by toss up I mean we are going to kick them right in their dick.

Florida Atlantic beat Florida International 38-20.

They are predicting 11-1. I agree with the analytics and think our coaches can get us 11 wins this season.
Those percentages work out to 9-3 or 10-2 as most likely result. 63% doesn't equal 100%. If we play 3 teams and are favored 66-33 in all three, the most likely result is 2-1 over those three.

I might donate to an NIL collective if either of those things happen. Still dreaming of #9windiana from 5 years ago.

Those percentages work out to 9-3 or 10-2 as most likely result. 63% doesn't equal 100%. If we play 3 teams and are favored 66-33 in all three, the most likely result is 2-1 over those three.

I might donate to an NIL collective if either of those things happen. Still dreaming of #9windiana from 5 years ago.
Apologies, I forgot there are only 9 games left. 9-3, 8-4, and 10-2 are the most likely results, in that order, based on those win percentages.

Odds would be something like 40-30-20 for those results, with less than 10% for the other possible outcomes, give or take 5%.

I believe Maryland is much better than UCLA but I do not think Maryland has the "O" or the coaching to keep up with IU on the scoreboard. I certainly hope that's the case because the wife and I will be flying up for that game. Go Hoosiers !

I believe Maryland is much better than UCLA but I do not think Maryland has the "O" or the coaching to keep up with IU on the scoreboard. I certainly hope that's the case because the wife and I will be flying up for that game. Go Hoosiers !
Maryland has recruited quite well but they will miss that QB from last year. He was a difference maker.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT