ADVERTISEMENT

Smith Preseason POY..

what I took away from this 'poll' was this: if you stretched this to a 3rd team all B1G, counting the votes, IU would have a first teamer and THREE 3rd teamers. While Purdue would have a first teamer and two "also receiving 1-2 votes" at the bottom. Yet they picked PU over IU by a decent margin (when you look at the first place votes). Message I took from that is the voters do not have confidence yet that CMW can take a loaded pool of talent and win big with it.

Pretty big year for us and the IU program.
I could know nothing about the conference and come out with my predictions and it may have just as much credibility.****

I’ll say this, based on what I keep reading here regarding the talent:

IU should win the conference, at least over PU.

If the Boilers compete for a B10 title, Painter should be a national COY candidate.

***edit: I’m not dissing your projections. I’m talking the sportswriters.

Last edited:
I could know nothing about the conference and come out with my predictions and it may have just as much credibility.****

I’ll say this, based on what I keep reading here regarding the talent:

IU should win the conference, at least over PU.

If the Boilers compete for a B10 title, Painter should be a national COY candidate.

***edit: I’m not dissing your projections. I’m talking the sportswriters.
PU is based off returning 4 starters plus 2 major contributors(Heide, Colvin) returning from a nation runner up team. It will be interesting who becomes the lead dog on offense. Kauffman will be the one who I see being their leading scorer this year

PU is based off returning 4 starters plus 2 major contributors(Heide, Colvin) returning from a nation runner up team. It will be interesting who becomes the lead dog on offense. Kauffman will be the one who I see being their leading scorer this year
I understand what it’s based on, many here are predicting that those returning starters will struggle now that Edey is gone.

One could make the case that Painter will adjust, another diamond in the rough big man uncovered, and somehow they don’t skip too much of a beat.

We will see. My point wasn’t that I’d be surprised to see them near the top of the league. But, if they are, there are many people posting here that would need to give some serious props to Painter, as they are saying that PU will struggle now that Edey is gone and U-Conn showed everyone the simple blueprint for beating them. (I don’t think it’s quite as simple as defending their guards)

Reactions: bsmitty08
Who is the last guy to win B10 POY that averaged less than 14 ppg. Let's start there.
You don’t think Smith will average more? I’m not trying to sell Smith at all. I’m just saying if they really well again this year, it’s high probability he will be the POY

I understand what it’s based on, many here are predicting that those returning starters will struggle now that Edey is gone.

One could make the case that Painter will adjust, another diamond in the rough big man uncovered, and somehow they don’t skip too much of a beat.

We will see. My point wasn’t that I’d be surprised to see them near the top of the league. But, if they are, there are many people posting here that would need to give some serious props to Painter, as they are saying that PU will struggle now that Edey is gone and U-Conn showed everyone the simple blueprint for beating them. (I don’t think it’s quite as simple as defending their guards)
PU won’t be as good as last year but I bet they are top 3 because of experience and being well coached. No doubt on paper, IU is more talented. The question is whether woody can coach them and turn them into a team?

Reactions: .Gerdis
You don’t think Smith will average more? I’m not trying to sell Smith at all. I’m just saying if they really well again this year, it’s high probability he will be the POY
I don't see Smith being a 16-17+ ppg which I think is a necessity to win POY. And if he is, it's probably at the expense of some efficiency because he doesn't have enough help. He's a very solid player who'd I want on me team, I don't think he's anywhere close to being one of the best players though.

I don't see Smith being a 16-17+ ppg which I think is a necessity to win POY. And if he is, it's probably at the expense of some efficiency because he doesn't have enough help. He's a very solid player who'd I want on me team, I don't think he's anywhere close to being one of the best players though.
hopefully it’s a moot point. If they come back to the pack, and win less games, he probably won’t have had big enough numbers to contend for POY honors.

If they contend at the top, and he has similar overall numbers…gonna be tough to beat him.

Reactions: bsmitty08
PU won’t be as good as last year but I bet they are top 3 because of experience and being well coached. No doubt on paper, IU is more talented. The question is whether woody can coach them and turn them into a team?
IU is best at winning the offseason these days unfortunately

If Smith is 14.5 pts 7.5 asst and 5 Rebs and Pu wins BiG ten. I could see him getting the award over the 3rd place team having a guy average 17 and 8

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT