ADVERTISEMENT

Sisley heading to Monteverde for Sr season

I think he's very good. Likely undervalued on the national rankings scale. He's transitioning right now, it seems, to more perimeter focused play. He's a plus outside shooter. He's active on the glass. He can guard effectively 3.4.5. But he's not as long as some 6-7+ guys are out there, and he isn't as quick laterally either.
not as long and isn't as quick, is concerning, is Miller Kopp a good comparison?

transfer portal has kind of ruined recruiting, used to be I would be invested on where a kid like Sisley ends up, hoping for IU. As of right now if we get him that would be great if we don't, I really don't care.
I'm not nearly as high on Sisley as others. Would take him obviously but I don't consider him a can't miss prospect. I'm much higher on someone like Brady Koehler (who we haven't offered) who is taller, more athletic, with better ball skills and just as good of a shooter.

transfer portal has kind of ruined recruiting, used to be I would be invested on where a kid like Sisley ends up, hoping for IU. As of right now if we get him that would be great if we don't, I really don't care.
Yea. If we miss just bid on a few more portal players next spring.

I'm not nearly as high on Sisley as others. Would take him obviously but I don't consider him a can't miss prospect. I'm much higher on someone like Brady Koehler (who we haven't offered) who is taller, more athletic, with better ball skills and just as good of a shooter.
I know it's unlikely but the 3 pack of Sisley, Mullins and Moreno is pretty interesting and I think we are maybe the only school to have offered all 3. Love that the 3 of them have played together and are visiting together. Sounds like Moreno might be the most difficult to get being from KY and not IN and that UK is pursuing, but again, maybe playing with his AAU teammates will be a draw, not to mention our record with posts over CMW's tenure.

I know it's unlikely but the 3 pack of Sisley, Mullins and Moreno is pretty interesting and I think we are maybe the only school to have offered all 3. Love that the 3 of them have played together and are visiting together. Sounds like Moreno might be the most difficult to get being from KY and not IN and that UK is pursuing, but again, maybe playing with his AAU teammates will be a draw, not to mention our record with posts over CMW's tenure.
True and if an early commitment from Sisley puts us in a better position to land Mullins and/or Sisley I’m all for it. But from an individual standpoint, I don’t think Sisley makes or breaks the class either way.

Koehler is interesting, to me. I'd take Sisley over him. I think Sisley will adapt better to the physicality as he progresses up in competition levels. Koehler can disappear when games get physical. Obviously he has very good ball skills though for someone his size.

Sounds like Moreno might be the most difficult to get being from KY and not IN and that UK is pursuing, but again, maybe playing with his AAU teammates will be a draw, not to mention our record with posts over CMW's tenure.
I don't know, but I wonder how much different UK will be under Pope. Also, the NIL #'s thrown around with UK indicate we are right with them and probably a little ahead. I hope the days of us not really competing with UK for top recruits are over.

Koehler is interesting, to me. I'd take Sisley over him. I think Sisley will adapt better to the physicality as he progresses up in competition levels. Koehler can disappear when games get physical. Obviously he has very good ball skills though for someone his size.
Sisley is a more complete player today, but Koehler has way more upside. First year playing on a competitive AAU circuit and first year playing heavy varsity minutes. Sisley has been on the radar since his freshman year and physically matured well before Koehler. Koehler's grown like 5-6 inches since his freshman year and still may not be done. Needs strength no doubt but that will come as he continues to grow into his body. I don't see Sisley or Koehler factoring much into the equation as true freshman, so given the choice between the two to develop over time, I would prefer Koehler.

Reactions: kkott
Better return than bidding on a freshman. It's not like they sign for free.
Obviously that can be the case, which is why I don't care too much about missing on high school players. Proven D1 players with multiple years of eligibility seems like a sweet spot. A few one-year guys are fine too.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Sisley is a more complete player today, but Koehler has way more upside. First year playing on a competitive AAU circuit and first year playing heavy varsity minutes. Sisley has been on the radar since his freshman year and physically matured well before Koehler. Koehler's grown like 5-6 inches since his freshman year and still may not be done. Needs strength no doubt but that will come as he continues to grow into his body. I don't see Sisley or Koehler factoring much into the equation as true freshman, so given the choice between the two to develop over time, I would prefer Koehler.
Fair enough. I worry about "bust potential" with Koehler. I don't have that worry with Sisley.

But you're right, Koehler has a much higher ceiling, at this point.

Its possible IU could lose Mgbako, Ballo, Renau, and Goode for the following year. I think Sisley is more likely to step in and contribute to the 2025-26 team, than Koehler is. And in todays world, that could mean everything in his staying power at IU. Not a ton of schools and kids waiting on development any more.

Yep...obviously the Sisley's wouldn't ever likely talk about such things publicly. But I'm sure it was a factor. Not having the surrounding cast, implies in many ways the lower competition level in practices, etc...

From a pure basketball development perspective...his 7-8 months spent at Monteverde will dwarf what he would have gotten at Heritage Hills.
What if he struggles at Monteverde?

Seems like good decision for his continued progress. Hopefully, will still be good connection for Hoosiers. Unfortunately, I thought that worked with McNeely, but. With this years recruiting, and hopefully considerably more wins, might just make more sense for Sisley than McNeely.
And a question ... what's the cost to attend Montverde? And who pays it? Scholarships or?

Obviously that can be the case, which is why I don't care too much about missing on high school players. Proven D1 players with multiple years of eligibility seems like a sweet spot. A few one-year guys are fine too.
I don't think you have to look farther than Storrs CT for the model: take top 100 HS talent for development/chemistry and then build around them with portal players at positions of need. I think large classes are going to be largely a thing of the past. 2-3 top 100 (top 50 hopefully) and then fill out the roster with portal guys. No need to take guys much outside the top 100 unless you feel really strongly about their upside (like Edey) and let them go elsewhere to develop.

Seems like good decision for his continued progress. Hopefully, will still be good connection for Hoosiers. Unfortunately, I thought that worked with McNeely, but. With this years recruiting, and hopefully considerably more wins, might just make more sense for Sisley than McNeely.
And a question ... what's the cost to attend Montverde? And who pays it? Scholarships or?
According to their website, it is over 57000 for the boarding school and all scholarships are need based--that said, they have an athletic booster club that may provide other assistance but it does not say

According to their website, it is over 57000 for the boarding school and all scholarships are need based--that said, they have an athletic booster club that may provide other assistance but it does not say
Florida also has a pretty large school voucher system. Wonder if any of that plays into this?🤷🏻

I said this last week to someone comparing Sisley to Kopp. If he transfered to Montverde and got plugged into the Flagg spot he would be top 25 in the country by Christmas. He has the same skill set, always has, he's just not freaky long. He'll be 15lbs heavier a year from now with a national spot light on him, his recruitment will blow up.
Not even close to Flagg athleticism

I don't know, but I wonder how much different UK will be under Pope. Also, the NIL #'s thrown around with UK indicate we are right with them and probably a little ahead. I hope the days of us not really competing with UK for top recruits are over.
Even if we were to get on more level playing field with UK, that doesn't change the fact that he grew up in Georgetown KY and has been exposed to, and probably supported, BBN all his life. That's the biggest hurdle. Just like we used to dominate Southern IN and Indy, UK has pretty much had it's pick whenever the bluegrass has produced a player talented enough to land in Lexington.

Even if we were to get on more level playing field with UK, that doesn't change the fact that he grew up in Georgetown KY and has been exposed to, and probably supported, BBN all his life. That's the biggest hurdle. Just like we used to dominate Southern IN and Indy, UK has pretty much had it's pick whenever the bluegrass has produced a player talented enough to land in Lexington.
I don't disagree, assuming he likes UK. I'm just noting we're level or a little ahead with them on recruiting, which is a huge change from the pre-NIL Cal days, and that is pretty amazing.

Last edited:
not a player on the basketball team paying a dime to go there
I thought the same, but it doesn't seem like it, unless there is something I don't know about.

Per their website: "Montverde Academy does not offer merit scholarships, athletic scholarships, or tuition reduction programs. Our financial aid program serves families of students in Grades 6-12 and is based strictly on demonstrated financial need. Families must re-apply on an annual basis."

I thought the same, but it doesn't seem like it, unless there is something I don't know about.

Per their website: "Montverde Academy does not offer merit scholarships, athletic scholarships, or tuition reduction programs. Our financial aid program serves families of students in Grades 6-12 and is based strictly on demonstrated financial need. Families must re-apply on an annual basis."
Nike...donors...boosters...whatever the source is, covers the costs and more for their main varsity boys basketball players. I'd put the chances of guys like Cooper Flagg paying 1 penny to play there at zero.

Reactions: Tammany Hall

Schools like Monteverde and IMG have multiple teams. They have standard Freshman, JV, and Varsity teams and then a National team (like the one Sisley plays on) that you see on ESPN. If you aren't on the National team you're paying some sort of tuition that subsidizes the National team.

Nike...donors...boosters...whatever the source is, covers the costs and more for their main varsity boys basketball players. I'd put the chances of guys like Cooper Flagg paying 1 penny to play there at zero.

Schools like Monteverde and IMG have multiple teams. They have standard Freshman, JV, and Varsity teams and then a National team (like the one Sisley plays on) that you see on ESPN. If you aren't on the National team you're paying some sort of tuition that subsidizes the National team.
Thanks. That makes more sense.

All the theories are interesting. You can read about the real reason for transferring in the interview my son had with him in the Spencer County Journal Democrat. You'll have to pay to read it, or you can wait for a few days and I'll tell you what he said.

It's nothing that has been discussed in this thread so far.

Reactions: ulrey and T.M.P.
no clue if this is good/bad/no news for IU. But cannot be viewed as good news for Purdue.
If we still have a good relationship with Montverde's staff, I think it's good and it's also good if he's heading to MV at the suggestion of CMW. He'll be a much better player starting as a freshman I would think. The Sleepers guys did a video on it and Carter pointed at the camera and said "Hoosier", so they both felt it would benefit IU.

I know not everyone has the same experiences and access. But the rankings services now that there's so many with all of the podcast affiliates, are varying levels of corrupt.

The prep school bump. The Nike bump and OTE has a financial rankings enhancement program. I say this because every year there are obvious super star players in high school. After those 5-10, depending on the year, there are 100 kids that can put a couple hot weekends together and be a fringe 5☆.

I say this because 3 years ago Sisley was considered a fast riser top 30 player. We had two high profile freshmen hs players in-state. One played the game within the game the other didn't.

Sisley is a winner, he's a relentless athlete, a lock down 1-4 defender, ask Mikel Brown. I said he's a top 25 player. He doesn't have the length Flagg has, he's someone other winners want to play with. Santa Claus Land is flying candy canes at half mast over this, people were helping Haralson pack to get him outta Fishers.

He will be a Anunoby type player at Verde this year. Not Miller Kopp or any other white guy 6'7-6'8 you think of. They'll play eachother and it will be televised this year.

From the interwebs below.

Technically, IU people could be paying Sisley NIL right now with an mutual understanding in place.

Yes, as of June 2024, the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA) unanimously approved a measure allowing high school athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness (NIL) without risking their athletic eligibility. This makes Florida the 36th state to approve NIL for high school athletes.

Santa Claus Land is flying candy canes at half mast over this, people were helping Haralson pack to get him outta Fishers.

He will be a Anunoby type player at Verde this year. Not Miller Kopp or any other white guy 6'7-6'8 you think of. They'll play eachother and it will be televised this year.
Fishers was facing serious repercussions for the recruitment of Haralson. It’s a big reason why he left. I believe one of their coaches lost his job over it. I get your passion for Sisley, but he’s not a next level player as it stands now…Haralson is.

Reactions: ulrey
Last week, prior to the Sisley announcement, the top ranked Montverde players were ranked 37th and 80th vs the past few years when they would have 4-5 guys in the top 30. I would guess that they will land several more guys at Trent’s level or above.

Last week, prior to the Sisley announcement, the top ranked Montverde players were ranked 37th and 80th vs the past few years when they would have 4-5 guys in the top 30. I would guess that they will land several more guys at Trent’s level or above.
Been saying this. Montverde from a talent standpoint is significantly down this year. Have two highly rated juniors in the 26 class, but this is the weakest Sr class they’ve had in some years. Sisley, as it stands now, is likely a starter, but if Montverde is serious about winning a national title, he will be coming off the bench as they continue to try and poach players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT