ADVERTISEMENT

Sisley heading to Monteverde for Sr season

I said this last week to someone comparing Sisley to Kopp. If he transfered to Montverde and got plugged into the Flagg spot he would be top 25 in the country by Christmas. He has the same skill set, always has, he's just not freaky long. He'll be 15lbs heavier a year from now with a national spot light on him, his recruitment will blow up.

Woodson told him he wasn’t gonna get any better at HH & needed to go somewhere, preferably Montverde. A lot of folks disappointed in Christmas Lake Village & Spencer Co., & he isn’t thrilled about it either. Probably does bode well for IU recruiting him, which surprises me based on the feeling I got from him & family at a graduation party a month ago. Thought he was a PU lean, especially after Painter spent 2.5 hours at the in-home & Woodson spent 45 minutes, but they are keeping their cards close to the vest & nothing specific was said. The comment from one of the other neighbors was “doesn’t take long to offer a bag of cash”.🤣

I said this last week to someone comparing Sisley to Kopp. If he transfered to Montverde and got plugged into the Flagg spot he would be top 25 in the country by Christmas. He has the same skill set, always has, he's just not freaky long. He'll be 15lbs heavier a year from now with a national spot light on him, his recruitment will blow up.
What’s “blow up” mean? Everyone knows about him.

Woodson told him he wasn’t gonna get any better at HH & needed to go somewhere, preferably Montverde. A lot of folks disappointed in Christmas Lake Village & Spencer Co., & he isn’t thrilled about it either. Probably does bode well for IU recruiting him, which surprises me based on the feeling I got from him & family at a graduation party a month ago. Thought he was a PU lean, especially after Painter spent 2.5 hours at the in-home & Woodson spent 45 minutes, but they are keeping their cards close to the vest & nothing specific was said. The comment from one of the other neighbors was “doesn’t take long to offer a bag of cash”.🤣
Yeah I bet there are a lot of disappointed folks with this decision.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
That’s an odd thing. Seems everyone already knows about him. What’s the upside? I hate it for the state and especially his HS.
Guys don't go there to develop into national level prospects, the guys who go are already national level prospects. He'll practice against guys who are probably better than anyone he'd see at his high school all season. They go to become even better. I think it makes perfect sense. Short of a state championship, he's probably done all he can and gotten as good as he's going to at his HS. This is college caliber competition.

Last edited:
Not in the same stratosphere as Flagg. I like Sisley but c'mon. Flagg is one of the best high school prospects since LeBron. He has a legitimate chance of winning NPOY next year. Montverde believe it or not is expected to be "down" this season. Their current talent level for this coming season isn't comparable to last seasons.

That’s an odd thing. Seems everyone already knows about him. What’s the upside? I hate it for the state and especially his HS.
I felt the same way when Catchings left Brownsburg. The fans love these players and it hurts when they leave. Now I will say Harralson leaving Fishers wasn't as bad because they won the State Championship this past season.

Guys don't go there to develop into national level prospects, the guys who go are already national level prospects. He'll practice against guys who are probably better than anyone he'd see at his high school all season. They go to become even better. I think it makes perfect sense. Short of a state championship, he's probably done all he can and gotten as good as he's going to at his HS. This is college caliber competition.
Wait, those player at Montverde and the competition they play is better than......my Washington Hatchets? I'll take your word for it but I am not sure about that.

Not in the same stratosphere as Flagg. I like Sisley but c'mon. Flagg is one of the best high school prospects since LeBron. He has a legitimate chance of winning NPOY next year. Montverde believe it or not is expected to be "down" this season. Their current talent level for this coming season isn't comparable to last seasons.
well, he did say top 25... and Flagg was #1. But losing Flagg and McNeeley so that should open up minutes and I doubt he's transferring his senior year without the likelihood of a starting spot. He's going to be a better and more skilled player for sure after the year there. Hopefully Montverde was the choice and pushed by IU and we still have some relationship there. I'd guess he's seen the jump that Braylon took and thinks he can do the same. I know Todd Leary has been working with him on his shooting and feels like he's going to see improvement there. The Sleepers guys did a review of him and love his talent. One even said he could see Sisley being a 1 and done, which shocked me, but I think what he was saying is that he has that kind of talent and skills. Going to Montverde will only bring that out and I bet he'll see a big jump in his national ranking.

Last edited:
well, he did say top 25... and Flagg was #1. But losing Flagg and McNeeley so that should open up minutes and I doubt he's transferring his senior year without the likelihood of a starting spot. He's going to be a better and more skilled player for sure after the year there. Hopefully Montverde was the choice and pushed by IU and we still have some relationship there. I'd guess he's seen the jump that Braylon took and thinks he can do the same. I know Todd Leary has been working with him on his shooting and feels like he's going to see improvement there. The Sleepers guys did a review of him and love his talent. One even said he could see Sisley being a 1 and done, which shocked me, but I think what he as saying is that he has that kind of talent and skills. Going to Montverde will only bring that out and I bet he'll see a big jump in his national ranking.
It's precisely why he's transferring, they aren't that talented this year and he has a chance to play a lot. In a normal Montverde year he'd be their 7th-8th man. I'd be shocked if he moved up that much, if at all. Unless he starts getting a ton a blue blood offers, he's not going anywhere. And Sisley is a guy who is been on the radar for a long time.

Reactions: kkott
This all day. Trent and his family have a very unique opportunity here. Similar skill set to “the guy we lost”. He just needs more work to get there. What better place than MV. Hard decision but the right one if you use your head and not your heart.

I get the sense that, "a bag of cash" is not important to them.

A player that's his size, and has his skillset, should have NBA aspirations. Assuming Trent does, Monteverde gives him A LOT better preparation for that level of basketball.

I heard someone bashing Sisley for this decision, basically saying "he never even got close to winning a state title at Heritage Hills, why does he think he needs better competition?" The problem with that thought is its way too narrow of a view. From August to April, the time he'll either be at HH or Monteverde, there are roughly 180 days. Its all those days stacked on top of each other, with higher quality reps against bigger, better athletes, that he needs. He definitely could have, maybe should have, won more games at HH. But his practices there are basically useless with regards to his own development, and even if they did make a state title run, probably only 10-15 of those games will have legit college level opponents for Sisley. And that's only 10-15 days out of the 180 or so. At Monteverde, many, many, many more hours and days worth of higher level reps and competition.

If he were at a Ben Davis sized school, probably different story. If HH had more pieces around him, and were a legitimate state title contender, maybe there's something to be said about learning to lead a team to a championship. Neither of those things are reality though.

This is a no brainer decision. I just hope it ends up helping us with our recruitment of him. We've had some success landing Monteverde kids...but the last recruiting cycle did not end well, at all...hope there isn't bad blood towards Woodson/IU from Monteverde people??

A player that's his size, and has his skillset, should have NBA aspirations. Assuming Trent does, Monteverde gives him A LOT better preparation for that level of basketball.

I heard someone bashing Sisley for this decision, basically saying "he never even got close to winning a state title at Heritage Hills, why does he think he needs better competition?" The problem with that thought is its way too narrow of a view. From August to April, the time he'll either be at HH or Monteverde, there are roughly 180 days. Its all those days stacked on top of each other, with higher quality reps against bigger, better athletes, that he needs. He definitely could have, maybe should have, won more games at HH. But his practices there are basically useless with regards to his own development, and even if they did make a state title run, probably only 10-15 of those games will have legit college level opponents for Sisley. And that's only 10-15 days out of the 180 or so. At Monteverde, many, many, many more hours and days worth of higher level reps and competition.

If he were at a Ben Davis sized school, probably different story. If HH had more pieces around him, and were a legitimate state title contender, maybe there's something to be said about learning to lead a team to a championship. Neither of those things are reality though.

This is a no brainer decision. I just hope it ends up helping us with our recruitment of him. We've had some success landing Monteverde kids...but the last recruiting cycle did not end well, at all...hope there isn't bad blood towards Woodson/IU from Monteverde people??
Not to mention the other things like pro style workouts, nutrition etc…more one on one contact with coaches tracking all sorts of metrics.

Not to mention the other things like pro style workouts, nutrition etc…more one on one contact with coaches tracking all sorts of metrics.
Cue the math equations Kobe Bryant made famous. If I get to work 1 hour earlier, and stay 1 our later, every day, than my competition...That's 10-12 more hours a week, 40-50 hours a month, 500-600 hours a year... What do you think the results are going to be when a guy like Sisley has multiple hundreds of more hours of higher quality workouts and reps...and the nutrition advisement...and, and...

Honestly, it surprises me more kids don't go this route.

I guess there are dozens of Monteverdes out there now, aren't there... And it is pretty rare any more to see someone Sisley's size, stick with a smaller hometown school. We have one at our school, that's right on the fringe right now. If he were to grow any more (he sure could), it'd be hard for me to not have the same argument for him as I just made for Sisley. His end goal probably being more D1 level stuff versus NBA, but that's all relative. The point being, outside a few games during the regular season, he isn't really getting a ton of good development practicing with our high school team.

I get the sense that, "a bag of cash" is not important to them.
It may not be everything, but the revenue share kicks in next year, tbd how much goes to basketball, but it’s at least a few million more on top of NIL. This will increase player comp and he could easily be looking at offers that vary by hundreds of thousands of $ with the higher offers being in the $1M+ range depending how good he gets. To some extent it’s life changing $ and has to be considered.

I get your point he may take a slightly lower offer if fit is better. But I suspect whatever he takes needs to fairly close to the high offer. His pro career starts freshman year for better or worse.

It may not be everything, but the revenue share kicks in next year, tbd how much goes to basketball, but it’s at least a few million more on top of NIL. This will increase player comp and he could easily be looking at offers that vary by hundreds of thousands of $ with the higher offers being in the $1M+ range depending how good he gets. To some extent it’s life changing $ and has to be considered.

I get your point he may take a slightly lower offer if fit is better. But I suspect whatever he takes needs to fairly close to the high offer. His pro career starts freshman year for better or worse.
also run the risk of getting exposed, when moving up in competition. wonder how Romeos career would have turned out if he went to prep school.

I would contend his pro career starts at Monteverde here in the next few months. Monteverde brings all the bigger "stuff" forward a year for Sisley. And if he thrives, it'll bring him quite a lot more money as well.

also run the risk of getting exposed, when moving up in competition. wonder how Romeos career would have turned out if he went to prep school.
That is the flip side of exposure, for sure! He's already shown an ability to compete at a pretty high level for Indiana Elite...but there is always that possibility.

I heard someone bashing Sisley for this decision, basically saying "he never even got close to winning a state title at Heritage Hills, why does he think he needs better competition?" The problem with that thought is its way too narrow of a view.
Not to mention it takes a surrounding group to win a state title.

Everybody runs that risk... what you have to like is that he is confident enough to want that challenge.
And potentially aware enough to know that he'll benefit from it.

No clue what discussions were had...but it wouldn't surprise me, at all, to know that Woody gave him some advice to seek out better competition this winter. It seems more plausible that Woody would give him that advice, where as Painter would advise the more traditional, TKR like path at Purdue. No way to know if its true, but if there's any thread of truth to the above, I can't fathom Sisley now ending up at Purdue.

Not to mention it takes a surrounding group to win a state title.
Yep...obviously the Sisley's wouldn't ever likely talk about such things publicly. But I'm sure it was a factor. Not having the surrounding cast, implies in many ways the lower competition level in practices, etc...

From a pure basketball development perspective...his 7-8 months spent at Monteverde will dwarf what he would have gotten at Heritage Hills.

And potentially aware enough to know that he'll benefit from it.

No clue what discussions were had...but it wouldn't surprise me, at all, to know that Woody gave him some advice to seek out better competition this winter. It seems more plausible that Woody would give him that advice, where as Painter would advise the more traditional, TKR like path at Purdue. No way to know if its true, but if there's any thread of truth to the above, I can't fathom Sisley now ending up at Purdue.
What's your opinion on Sisley as a player? I've never seen him play have gotten a lot of mixed reviews.

What's your opinion on Sisley as a player? I've never seen him play have gotten a lot of mixed reviews.
I think he's very good. Likely undervalued on the national rankings scale. He's transitioning right now, it seems, to more perimeter focused play. He's a plus outside shooter. He's active on the glass. He can guard effectively 3.4.5. But he's not as long as some 6-7+ guys are out there, and he isn't as quick laterally either.

I think he's very good. Likely undervalued on the national rankings scale. He's transitioning right now, it seems, to more perimeter focused play. He's a plus outside shooter. He's active on the glass. He can guard effectively 3.4.5. But he's not as long as some 6-7+ guys are out there, and he isn't as quick laterally either.
Really needs to improve his handle. He's a stretch 4 or 3 and D type player at the next level as it stands now.

Really needs to improve his handle. He's a stretch 4 or 3 and D type player at the next level as it stands now.
Definitely his effectiveness overall moving laterally is his biggest weakness. Good spot up shooter. Solid defender and rebounder out of multiple positions. Good overall finisher in traffic. But guarding perimeter players with quickness, and handling the ball in traffic and making plays with the ball going to the basket are his weaknesses.

I get the Miller Kopp comps, because of all this. I think his overall ceiling and versatility are a little better than Miller's though.

Purdue guys seem to think him going to Montverde is an escape route so he doesn't have to play in Southern IN gyms all year season while committed to Purdue.
La Lu would have been a better spot for him if that were true. But you never know I guess?

I think him going to Monteverde can be nothing but bad news for Purdue, in my opinion. Doesn't necessarily mean anything good for IU. But going the Bball Factory route, at a high profile place like Monteverde, is about as far form the normal path to Purdue as a player could take.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT