ADVERTISEMENT

Since everybody is mad on this board, I'll give you something to be really mad about.

hometownfan

Freshman
Feb 3, 2004
I was driving west on 17th street today in B-town in front of the practice facility. Ergo the moniker Hometownfan, and I saw two obvious world class athletes on SCOOTERS! One of them was a front court player for us but he was really skinny so it obviously wasn't Double D. He darted in front of me and I lost him, however, Phinisee couldn't beat the traffic. So when I drove past him I yelled at him "you better not get hurt Rob!" He laughed and gave me a big smile. My question to the board, is after all of the injuries last year, why are our basketball players driving SCOOTERS? We all know the statistics on scooter injuries. We've created an Orthopedic surgeons wonderland down here in Bloomington. Damn you Bird and Lime! Why do you hate IU Basketball?

I don't know that any previous injuries were scooter related. I wouldn't worry about it, so long as nothing happens.

I don't know that any previous injuries were scooter related. I wouldn't worry about it, so long as nothing happens.
Jager had a wreck on one of the scooters. Fischer was kidding him about it on the radio show. I happened to be watching the live stream video and you could see the scrapes a couple of weeks after the incident. There was no mention that he missed practice or was out, but I can imagine he was pretty sore for a while.

I don't know if we could or should limit the players and take away something the rest of the students have access to. Accidents happen. I used to find new and exciting ways for my parents to take me to the ER. With all the trails and stupid things I did on my dirt bikes or street bikes, I was never injured too much by anything with two wheels.

Jager had a wreck on one of the scooters. Fischer was kidding him about it on the radio show. I happened to be watching the live stream video and you could see the scrapes a couple of weeks after the incident. There was no mention that he missed practice or was out, but I can imagine he was pretty sore for a while.

I don't know if we could or should limit the players and take away something the rest of the students have access to. Accidents happen. I used to find new and exciting ways for my parents to take me to the ER. With all the trails and stupid things I did on my dirt bikes or street bikes, I was never injured too much by anything with two wheels.
It's done all the time. Stay out of the bars during the season. Don't drink if you're underage. Don't get a part time job. Don't smoke pot.

Reactions: IUgradman
At least they are not on a crotch rocket motorcycle doing wheelies or 180mph with no shirt, shoes, or helmet on.

It's done all the time. Stay out of the bars during the season. Don't drink if you're underage. Don't get a part time job. Don't smoke pot.
I would expect the don't smoke pot is the one rule that has no room for interpretation. I can assure you underage basketball players drink. I would be happy if they only did it in their apartment. Players can go into bars to eat and have a beer although it probably goes against the nutritional advice they get from the strength and conditioning coach. Part time jobs during the season would be impossible, but nothing wrong with it in the off season.

UE basketball players work over the summer. One worked in the kitchen at our minor league baseball stadium. The ceiling was too low for his 6'-10" height and he had to bend over. There must have been a better job for him to do. One worked for my son as a TV camera operator.

As long as they are "student-athletes" and not paid university employees, they shouldn't have any activities like this restricted.

I personally have no issue with them riding scooters and having fun. They're still young college students and this is legal.

Reactions: brianiu
As long as they are "student-athletes" and not paid university employees, they shouldn't have any activities like this restricted.

I personally have no issue with them riding scooters and having fun. They're still young college students and this is legal.
I think they should follow team rules as well as the school’s honor code if such exists. Certainly team rules might proscribe riding scooters on the grounds of preventing injuries and therefore not hurting the team.

Let kids be kids. Our problems have to do with the AD and Coach making millions for our disastrous results. Not kids riding scooters.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
I would expect the don't smoke pot is the one rule that has no room for interpretation. I can assure you underage basketball players drink. I would be happy if they only did it in their apartment. Players can go into bars to eat and have a beer although it probably goes against the nutritional advice they get from the strength and conditioning coach. Part time jobs during the season would be impossible, but nothing wrong with it in the off season.

UE basketball players work over the summer. One worked in the kitchen at our minor league baseball stadium. The ceiling was too low for his 6'-10" height and he had to bend over. There must have been a better job for him to do. One worked for my son as a TV camera operator.
Doing it and being told you can't aren't the same thing. Hell, look back at all the underage drinking issues that Crean had with that group. Guys were suspended and ultimately shown the door. Your average student who does those things off campus, as many of those issues were, aren't given a second look by the university.

I think they should follow team rules as well as the school’s honor code if such exists. Certainly team rules might proscribe riding scooters on the grounds of preventing injuries and therefore not hurting the team.
I don't think there should be a rule preventing them from riding scooters. That's what I'm saying. I doubt there is.

If there is one, how far should it go? Can you imagine the recruiting pitch? "Of If you come to play basketball here there will be no scooters, no bikes, and no jogging, running, jumping, or playing basketball outside of the approved practice facilities. We'll do everything to ensure your only injuries are during practices or games."

Last edited:
I was driving west on 17th street today in B-town in front of the practice facility. Ergo the moniker Hometownfan, and I saw two obvious world class athletes on SCOOTERS! One of them was a front court player for us but he was really skinny so it obviously wasn't Double D. He darted in front of me and I lost him, however, Phinisee couldn't beat the traffic. So when I drove past him I yelled at him "you better not get hurt Rob!" He laughed and gave me a big smile. My question to the board, is after all of the injuries last year, why are our basketball players driving SCOOTERS? We all know the statistics on scooter injuries. We've created an Orthopedic surgeons wonderland down here in Bloomington. Damn you Bird and Lime! Why do you hate IU Basketball?

It was Jerome with him. Cleared for scooter riding!

Reactions: hondo314
Doing it and being told you can't aren't the same thing. Hell, look back at all the underage drinking issues that Crean had with that group. Guys were suspended and ultimately shown the door. Your average student who does those things off campus, as many of those issues were, aren't given a second look by the university.
The difference between my underage drinking and some of my classmates was that I was smart about it. I left a party as soon as I saw people being loud outside or having a loud music playing. My friends either kept everyone inside or at one of a few places outside the city. My group of friends only had one person with an alcohol related charge. It was illegal possession of alcohol from an unopened 12 pack in the rear floorboard. Damn excise police!

Reactions: hookyIU1990
The difference between my underage drinking and some of my classmates was that I was smart about it. I left a party as soon as I saw people being loud outside or having a loud music playing. My friends either kept everyone inside or at one of a few places outside the city. My group of friends only had one person with an alcohol related charge. It was illegal possession of alcohol from an unopened 12 pack in the rear floorboard. Damn excise police!
Absolutely need to be smart about it. Andersen and Nover would show up at our place in WK pre and post party, but never in the middle of one. At one point in 13 or 14, Crean had 6 guys who had alcohol violations or drug test failures. Rules are made to be broken by teenagers and young men, but there's a right way to break them and a wrong way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT