ADVERTISEMENT

SI - 5-Star Montverde Teammates McNeeley, Queen Schedule Indiana Visit Together

Here's hoping for a packaged deal...signed, sealed and delivered on time!
There's a wing we're after who also set his announcement date for the following weekend, so let's get both these guys, Boogie and one of the wings we're after and put a bow on the '24 class! Question: don't we technically only have 1 departing senior in XJ plus the current open spot? How does that work? Can we make more offers than spots we have? Based on recruiting, I'm thinking a 4 man class is what they are after, but we technically only have 2 spots currently. Thoughts?

Reactions: Lucy01
Anthony Walker will be out of eligibility after this year. That leaves three spots (open, X, Walker) plus Mgbako and Ware are both expected to move on to the NBA. If Reneau improves on how he looked at the end of the season we might have three draft picks and lots of open scholarships. I think banking on at least 4 open scholarships next year is conservative.

There's a wing we're after who also set his announcement date for the following weekend, so let's get both these guys, Boogie and one of the wings we're after and put a bow on the '24 class! Question: don't we technically only have 1 departing senior in XJ plus the current open spot? How does that work? Can we make more offers than spots we have? Based on recruiting, I'm thinking a 4 man class is what they are after, but we technically only have 2 spots currently. Thoughts?
Walker is out of eligibility as well. We are guaranteed to have 3 spots and will probably end up with about 6.

Reactions: kkott
Always a tough one to talk about.

XJ, and Walker maybe?, are the ones that are done for sure after this year.

Both Galloway and Leal will both have played 4 years...maybe one or both of them will be ready to move on, and not use their Covid year?

Mack and Ware are both projected first rounders. I would say both are likely to leave. But 1 of them leaving is a virtual certainty.

And then you have Gunn, Banks, Newton, Cupps...heck even Malik. Its safe to assume not all of those guys will be returning to IU next season. I couldn't pick who, but in this day and age, someone from that list is likely to see greener pastures elsewhere, and transfer.

And then we aren't using all 13 of our slots this year are we?

So between the open slot, XJ and Walker, and at least one of the early NBA guys...right there we have 4 spots. My educated guess is that will end up being 5-6 open slots for freshman and transfer portal guys.

You can have as many commitments as you want. It’s when it’s time to sign the letter that you will need the spots. IU will hill upgrade and take as many as necessary. IU will have 3 spots open if they don’t take a junior transfer. Could ultimately have 5-6 open spots because of the draft or transfers in addition to those 3 open spots.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Does the athlete bill or rights address 5th year COVID eligible players by guaranteeing a scholarship?

Does the athlete bill or rights address 5th year COVID eligible players by guaranteeing a scholarship?
That doesn't apply to a guaranteed spot on a team, just a guarantee to pay for the education costs.

Always a tough one to talk about.

XJ, and Walker maybe?, are the ones that are done for sure after this year.

Both Galloway and Leal will both have played 4 years...maybe one or both of them will be ready to move on, and not use their Covid year?

Mack and Ware are both projected first rounders. I would say both are likely to leave. But 1 of them leaving is a virtual certainty.

And then you have Gunn, Banks, Newton, Cupps...heck even Malik. Its safe to assume not all of those guys will be returning to IU next season. I couldn't pick who, but in this day and age, someone from that list is likely to see greener pastures elsewhere, and transfer.

And then we aren't using all 13 of our slots this year are we?

So between the open slot, XJ and Walker, and at least one of the early NBA guys...right there we have 4 spots. My educated guess is that will end up being 5-6 open slots for freshman and transfer portal guys.
Am I misremembering? I thought if a player came back for his extra COVID year it did not count against the scholarship limit.

I see:
One opening already (only 12 on scholarship currently)
X
Walker
MM
So 4 for sure and then maybe 5 or 6 if someone leaves or has a great year and goes pro (Ware)

You can have as many commitments as you want. It’s when it’s time to sign the letter that you will need the spots. IU will hill upgrade and take as many as necessary. IU will have 3 spots open if they don’t take a junior transfer. Could ultimately have 5-6 open spots because of the draft or transfers in addition to those 3 open spots.
You take commitments for the spots you 100% know will be available. Many of the recruits won't decide until after this next season has completed. You know around that time if anyone else is leaving and the uncommitted choose their schools. It works out and if we don't get recruits, we go to the portal.

Let's get the 3 best available and finish out the process after the season. It will work out.

You take commitments for the spots you 100% know will be available. Many of the recruits won't decide until after this next season has completed. You know around that time if anyone else is leaving and the uncommitted choose their schools. It works out and if we don't get recruits, we go to the portal.

Let's get the 3 best available and finish out the process after the season. It will work out.
I don't disagree with that, but if by chance they would have 4 guys who they really wanted and who wanted to commit (let's say McNeely, Queen, Fland and one of the shooting guards), it won't surprise me if they'd take 1 over commit. I am guessing with NIL players are going to continue to commit later and later and would guess it will work out like you describe, if we even have 3 commits by then.

For sure I was just stating you can take them. Just have to have the spots by signing day. I’m not saying woody would handle it that way. The poster asked “do you have to have spots for a commit”. Answer is no but you will have to have a spot by signing day. There is a +1 spot but Woody hasn’t used it. Crean did though.

My pessimistic side doesn't like that he's actually visiting other schools like Kansas and UT...but hopefully we're able to close him in the next few weeks.
My pessimistic side says I don’t like it that he’s visiting Texas last. NIL bidding war?

My pessimistic side says I don’t like it that he’s visiting Texas last. NIL bidding war?
I would be surprised. Woody has been pretty public about wanting kids who are here to go to school, play basketball and get to the next level. I guess you never know though.

Liam is from Texas. Our chances seem slim with both of these guys. C'mon Mike, lock them down asap.

Hopefully they'll all see that Texas had two five star freshmen last year and Rodney Terry couldn't get either to the NBA.

I would be surprised. Woody has been pretty public about wanting kids who are here to go to school, play basketball and get to the next level. I guess you never know though.
College Education???? Right! That game is gone, you don't bid for kids services ($$$) and then talk about what math class you offer!

Reactions: ulrey
It’s been IU and Texas for some time. He has visited IU multiple times. This is absolutely getting the package that fits. Style, NIL, players to go with him. He’s the wing type woody really wants. Has everything to guard multiple spots. Queen isn’t sold on where to go yet. Probably won’t know until late October all the way up to signing day. I’d bet IU gets a commit from someone else before those two.

College Education???? Right! That game is gone, you don't bid for kids services ($$$) and then talk about what math class you offer!
Go back to the sheep pen.

“I’m not against players getting paid. I’ve said that numerous times. But I am against players that strictly that uses the college sport just to get paid. I just think they’re going about it the wrong way if they do it that way. The NIL is there to pay players money and if they can negotiate their money, I’m happy for them. But you come to college to get an education and play basketball if that’s the sport you choose. So that, to me, is first and foremost. And if you think any other way, I don’t want you on our ball club. You can go somewhere else and do your thing that way in that regard. It’s around, you can’t get away from it. The portal, I think, changes the game in terms of how you navigate your team every season because you’re going to have someone that is going to be disgruntled that wants to leave. It’s a part of it and I tell the players that if you don’t want to play for us, then you leave and I’ll find somebody that would love to play and wear that uniform.”

When the Blue Chip recruits visit schools these days do they get to meet the kids that will be taking their online classes for them?

Reactions: DCDAVID
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT