ADVERTISEMENT

Shrews Recruiting

What would painter have to change on? Paying players? Was Edey not evidence that Purdue will pay to keep guys?
You all paid Edey $1M. He was worth $2-3M easily as the best player in college ball. (I’ve got generally lower valuations than IU North but that’s not important).

Edey was the perfect player — extremely good and played for a big discount. Your next good player won’t take a 50% pay cut.

You all paid Edey $1M. He was worth $2-3M easily as the best player in college ball. (I’ve got generally lower valuations than IU North but that’s not important).

Edey was the perfect player — extremely good and played for a big discount. Your next good player won’t take a 50% pay cut.
Where did you hear the one mil number from?

I mean, all these numbers are just hypothetical.
Obviously they're hypothetical...the entire scenario is hypothetical. But they're logical based off reports of what other players got in the portal. Omoruyi from Rutgers got 2 mil from Alabama... Tons of talk and reporting that NIL packages across all teams were being changed because of it.

I've said many times, NIL valuations are at best vague points of reference. Take whatever is reported, and probably double it. So maybe Purdue is just more quiet about it?

The basic premise remains though. Being elite nationally will require a lot of money. I think it'll be more than Purdue has, or more than they're willing to pay. We'll find out soon enough.

One thing I do think Purdue might be trying, is more of a "Rookie" wage scale approach. Basically rebuffing any newcomer, any big amount of money, with the implication that they have to prove it at Purdue, to get paid. The problem with that model, admirable as it may be, is the rest of their "peers" aren't playing that way. It works in the professional leagues because that's written in to the rules, so everyone is doing it. In college, whether any of us like it or not, the money is coming before they put the jersey on.

Anyway, we'll see soon enough the impacts, and if Purdue can pull it off. I don't think they'll be able to.

Obviously they're hypothetical...the entire scenario is hypothetical. But they're logical based off reports of what other players got in the portal. Omoruyi from Rutgers got 2 mil from Alabama... Tons of talk and reporting that NIL packages across all teams were being changed because of it.

I've said many times, NIL valuations are at best vague points of reference. Take whatever is reported, and probably double it. So maybe Purdue is just more quiet about it?

The basic premise remains though. Being elite nationally will require a lot of money. I think it'll be more than Purdue has, or more than they're willing to pay. We'll find out soon enough.

One thing I do think Purdue might be trying, is more of a "Rookie" wage scale approach. Basically rebuffing any newcomer, any big amount of money, with the implication that they have to prove it at Purdue, to get paid. The problem with that model, admirable as it may be, is the rest of their "peers" aren't playing that way. It works in the professional leagues because that's written in to the rules, so everyone is doing it. In college, whether any of us like it or not, the money is coming before they put the jersey on.

Anyway, we'll see soon enough the impacts, and if Purdue can pull it off. I don't think they'll be able to.
I mean, maybe Purdue isn’t throwing massive money to incoming freshmen, but it really hasn’t impacted their recruiting has it? Had a really good class of 5 last year. 2025 has a talented guard and maybe a forward in Singleton or SWA. 2026 has what looks to be a good guard.

I had heard more than a flat 1 mil and paint confirmed that as well. Heard he was closer to 2.
If it was reported at 1, it probably did end up closer to 2...I'm sure it wasn't any sort of set number. But his VALUE was quite a lot more than that, is the point. Edey was/is a unicorn. Very few guys like him, will take less than their value.

It seems like Painter is banking on having a roster full of guys that will take less. Or he's lying about it all. The lying part makes more sense, obviously Painter has a better handle on all this than message board posters do.

I mean, maybe Purdue isn’t throwing massive money to incoming freshmen, but it really hasn’t impacted their recruiting has it? Had a really good class of 5 last year. 2025 has a talented guard and maybe a forward in Singleton or SWA. 2026 has what looks to be a good guard.
?? Time will tell. They lost Katchings because of "it". From the 25 and 26 Indiana Elite and Indy Heat teams, so far they've gotten Luke Ertel. Who might end up being the lowest rated, and least impactful kid of any of those teams. And they recruited hard, and desperately wanted multiple kids from the 25 teams... They whiffed.

We'll see how it goes...

Nice subject change though.
**** off with that. You dorks are the king of subject changes. This thread was about Shrewsberry recruiting and you've come in here and managed to make it a defense of your shitty NIL program that your University President hates and your coach has to live with. Has Loyer found the weight room yet?

?? Time will tell. They lost Katchings because of "it". From the 25 and 26 Indiana Elite and Indy Heat teams, so far they've gotten Luke Ertel. Who might end up being the lowest rated, and least impactful kid of any of those teams. And they recruited hard, and desperately wanted multiple kids from the 25 teams... They whiffed.

We'll see how it goes...
Catching left because of playing time demands and then asked to come back the next day and Painter said no. They recruited the dude that went to ND and Sisley hard, but had other options for Sisley if he went to iu and knew they weren’t getting the dude at ND.

What would painter have to change on? Paying players? Was Edey not evidence that Purdue will pay to keep guys?
They will find a way to get some guys paid, but nowhere near what North is suggesting. Point is they would likely lose them to programs with real NIL budgets.

**** off with that. You dorks are the king of subject changes. This thread was about Shrewsberry recruiting and you've come in here and managed to make it a defense of your shitty NIL program that your University President hates and your coach has to live with. Has Loyer found the weight room yet?
Ironically, victor was the first to bring up Purdue in this thread and tmanay or whatever his name is was the second. So not me, no.

Ironically, victor was the first to bring up Purdue in this thread and tmanay or whatever his name is was the second. So not me, no.
All this effort you clowns have put into this forum today has netted you zero credibility, respect or validation from the fan base from whom you need it so badly...none. Such a waste of your lives...we don't care.

2026, are you counting Luke Ertel as what looks to be a good guard? Head scratcher. If you're thinking he's gonna be another Braden Smith, I'd say don't get your hopes up. Braden had much better HS #s and I'm confident was a much better player. Ertel doesn't look to me like someone who will play much in the B10 in his first 2 years. I'm sure you're putting on a brave face, but you can't say you're disappointed in the "NC game recruiting bump"? C'mon man....

We'll see... Assuming they stay good this year... These are just guesses based off reports of what some guys got this past year, the numbers are actually probably bigger in total, and growing every year.

-Smith's Value... 2-3 million, maybe more if he wins B10 POY
-TKR's Value... 2-3 million, maybe more if he breaks out and is All B10 caliber big.
-Colvin/Heide Value... For Purdue to be really good again, they're going to need these guys to be good... so their value, because they're younger, could be as high as the guys above even.
-Big Frosh...if he's at all decent, his value will be enormous. Or he'll just leave for the NBA.
-Loyer...if he shows he can hit 40% without the Edey Security blankee, his NIL value will skyrocket. Probably becomes 7 figures.
-Any one else emerges and plays main rotation minutes for a B10 contender...same, NIL value surges.

If Purdue has the money to keep all, or a vast majority of these guys together after their values explode...if I'm a parent, or them even... "why didn't you pay me this last year?"

They WILL lose some guys if they're good this year. Or Painter will miraculously have a change of heart, and they'll start paying more. IF, they lose guys, then Painter will be forced in to the portal world.
2-3 million for Smith and TKR? You can count on one hand the number of college basketball players legitimately making $2million+ next season.

How much you paying Gabe Cupps, all I read on here last year was how much better he was going to be than Smith!
He was one of the top "DEFENSIVE" guards in the country! Just curious to know how much $$$$$?
Umhhh….why are you talking to me about something one poster(who is no longer her) said? Actually, why are you talking to me at all?

You know about RUMORS and CONJECTURE! The MAN on top of college in and outs!
Deductive reasoning tells me IU definitely spends more. Not once have I thrown a nil number out. Now deductive reasoning is telling me you are a troll who isn’t here to actually discuss these topics. Not even good at it either.

Catching left because of playing time demands and then asked to come back the next day and Painter said no. They recruited the dude that went to ND and Sisley hard, but had other options for Sisley if he went to iu and knew they weren’t getting the dude at ND.
I know, for a fact, that they were very disappointed in losing out on Sisley...VERY disappointed. As in they were expecting to get him until fairly late in the recruitment... And that they were more than a little disturbed they weren't factors in the Koehler, Haralson, or Mullins recruitments.

There's gonna be a lot of spinning from all you Purdue fans the next couple years. Good try on Catchings too... role, PT, NIL, all played a factor for him. And it plays in to all this conversation on how Painter/Purdue are approaching this new NIL/Portal world.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
2-3 million for Smith and TKR? You can count on one hand the number of college basketball players legitimately making $2million+ next season.
Ha ha. Sure. And that number is growing every year.

Omanyuri openly getting 2 million, and you think there's 5 or less???

I appreciate your attempt at levity...but I'm not sure you appreciate the magnitude of the market, and how its growing basically every day.

Ha ha. Sure. And that number is growing every year.

Omanyuri openly getting 2 million, and you think there's 5 or less???

I appreciate your attempt at levity...but I'm not sure you appreciate the magnitude of the market, and how its growing basically every day.
If you look hard enough, there's countless verified sources of information that say the majority of these rumored NIL deals are greatly overvalued to downright just incorrect.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
If you look hard enough, there's countless verified sources of information that say the majority of these rumored NIL deals are greatly overvalued to downright just incorrect.
There's a lot of incentive for all sorts of people to try to mute the dollar figures. Anthony Davis got 250K, under the table, over 10 years ago before the TV contracts and everything kicked in.

You could be right. But I doubt it. I know some people that have NIL initiatives going for some schools in the midwest...and the money involved is substantial. And its starting to get very creative.

Seems like most NIL sources are agents and the like who are incentivized to throw out big numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT