ADVERTISEMENT

Should we take a moment to realize how far we've come in such a short amount of time?

For some reason, my son was looking at worldwide populations the other day. The world only had 1.6 billion people in it in 1900, about the current size of India or China alone. There were 3.7 billion in 1971 and 8 billion today.

He asked me if I noticed the difference, with twice as many people today as then. Interesting question (even though the proper consideration is population density where you live and spend time, not the world).
Because he is good kid and is a numbers guy. I can’t remember the exact example, but it was something like, if the entire world had the same population density of Japan, we would all fit in the state of Texas.

Well, according to people I read here, be glad you aren't Chicago.

I wonder how many younger people know that StL was once a place of importance.
I think more than you would expect thanks to our big park: forest park. It’s still the center of everything and the site of the world’s fair with lots of remaining tributes etc. the neighborhoods surrounding it are the old world’s fair type homes. So it’s present. About a year ago we were bored and I drove my daughter around to some of the old historic neighborhoods. Told her about the dred scott trials etc. I’ve mentioned it numerous times that the city doesn’t have a county. Failing to annex $ munis has really had a deleterious impact. So many areas in the city are failing with little hope of preservation much less gentrification.

Jack Dorsey is from the city. And we have lots of old money but no one who has made it their charge like a Dan Gilbert type in Detroit. The enterprise family helps but mostly with sports. They’re basically today’s Busch family. Anyway. I like urban planning type stuff a lot

Cities have grown, but the sheer volume of pedestrians was staggering. Of course many didn't have other transport and cities were more compact.

We need to get back to encouraging walking. Enough of people taking Ubers or cabs for eight blocks. Trek it.

unless you are in a suit and its 85+ degrees or snowing

• Love
Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Shall we go with rail or steamboats.

laugh-laughing.gif

We need to get back to encouraging walking. Enough of people taking Ubers or cabs for eight blocks. Trek it.

You put Uber out of business and we'd have how many more on unemployment?

I park about 8 blocks away. People think I am crazy because there are spots about 1 block away. I am trying to get 12,000 steps a day, and that walk really helps make it possible. I really wish I could run, but I've read about second knee replacements, and no way I want to go through that (at least not for as long as possible).

We have built cities for comfort and the trade-off we all know.

I park about 8 blocks away. People think I am crazy because there are spots about 1 block away. I am trying to get 12,000 steps a day, and that walk really helps make it possible. I really wish I could run, but I've read about second knee replacements, and no way I want to go through that (at least not for as long as possible).

Amen. I'm going for 10K, but I should probably up it.

I just ran a mile for the first time in years.

I walk to work every day unless the humidity is too high as I don’t want to be sweaty. But most days. 12,000 steps is not easy. Takes time

No bike? Cmon Marv. You're living on set of Breaking Away.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Should I add this to my squat rack curls, coach?
Listen. 10,000 steps a day. (Truthfully doing sprints for ten minutes is better). Bench marker. 8 reps at 135. 8 at 185. 8 at 225. Microneedling. And you’ll have no problems

Listen. 10,000 steps a day. (Truthfully doing sprints for ten minutes is better). Bench marker. 8 reps at 135. 8 at 185. 8 at 225. Microneedling. And you’ll have no problems
What are those sets of? I can't bench that much.

Bench press reps. Then just adjust down.

All joking aside I firmly believe time is the key for I sticking to workouts. If you can get shit done in 20 minutes you are more likely to stick with it. I can do three sets of bench and 3 sets of tris in 15 minutes. Then the next day same with curls and shoulders. Done. Not a big deal. That’s the problem with 12,000 steps. It takes too long.

And of course diet is 98 percent. And I fail there

No bike? Cmon Marv. You're living on set of Breaking Away.

I would love to bike, I consider it from time to time.

But then I see all of you drive and I switch from wanting to bike to buying an M1A2 for safety. Way too many of you drive randomly, keep them guessing seems to be the official motto.

• Love
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls

All joking aside I firmly believe time is the key for I sticking to workouts. If you can get shit done in 20 minutes you are more likely to stick with it. I can do three sets of bench and 3 sets of tris in 15 minutes. Then the next day same with curls and shoulders. Done. Not a big deal. That’s the problem with 12,000 steps. It takes too long.

I agree with time needed. I guess when I go and do that (and have) I feel like I didn't do enough. I try to stay and do at least 15 minutes on the rowing machine or something, for example.

I think one problem is that the gym I go to has zero hot chicks. No reason to hang around and catch glances in the giant mirrors of hot chicks in spandex doing deadlifts with 50 lbs or "bouncing" on the treadmill.

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66

I’ll just add. Don’t f#ck with heavy weights. I’ve known too many dudes who ended up tearing their pecs or biceps because they’re lifting heavy weights in their 40s. My oldest brother just had hernia surgery because he’s an idiot and was still squatting heavy weight.

Also, I’d strongly advise substituting dumbbells for flat benching and all chest workouts. It’s safer. Back in my younger years, I use to rep 5x5 275 on bench. Now, I don’t lift dumbbells heavier than 65 lbs. You just want to maintain strength. Low weight, high reps and don’t worry about going to failure.

I’ll just add. Don’t f#ck with heavy weights. I’ve known too many dudes who ended up tearing their pecs or biceps because they’re lifting heavy weights in their 40s. My oldest brother just had hernia surgery because he’s an idiot and was still squatting heavy weight.

Also, I’d strongly advise substituting dumbbells for flat benching and all chest workouts. It’s safer. Back in my younger years, I use to rep 5x5 275 on bench. Now, I don’t lift dumbbells heavier than 65 lbs. You just want to maintain strength. Low weight, high reps and don’t worry about going to failure.
That’s really interesting and I disagree. I think dumbbells are harder to control for bench etc. I used to do Arnold’s with them and now don’t even use them for that.

That’s really interesting and I disagree. I think dumbbells are harder to control for bench etc. I used to do Arnold’s with them and now don’t even use them for that.
I read it from several different people and switched 2 years ago. I feel better and haven’t tweaked anything since I changed. Flat bench was starting to constantly tweak something every couple months.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT