ADVERTISEMENT

Shea Patterson ruled eligible...

82IU

Freshman
Apr 30, 2016
Not surprising that good ole Meat chicken got a favor. If it was IU, there is no way it would have happened. VBG. Just wish the same rules applied to everyone. Good ole IU seems to take it in on the chin against the NCAA. ...sigh..

Not surprising that good ole Meat chicken got a favor. If it was IU, there is no way it would have happened. VBG. Just wish the same rules applied to everyone. Good ole IU seems to take it in on the chin against the NCAA. ...sigh..
What a surprise... DWS...

That's also what I think........so are we right, or are we paranoid?

Not trying to sound paranoid just pointing out the favoritism to the cash cows. If the NCAA come to a ruling in favor to let him play for the good of all, then how come they could not see fit to grant Bryant Fitzgerald his eligibility last year. Seems to me the NCAA makes up different rules for different schools. I don't think the NCAA stays up at night trying to figure out ways to get IU and IU did themselves no favors in the past with violations but the favorite sons seem to get more help. The NCAA is a joke. Just my 2 cents worth.

Probably too lazy to research it myself, but can anyone remember IU ever getting a break with eligibility issues? I can't easily recall a single player in any sport getting a favorable call from our good buddies in downtown Indy.

We're right...

It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you ;):D

If you really follow college sports closely, schools that generate boatloads of cash for the NCAA (and we are talking football schools that pack 70,000+ stadiums) have always had major, major clout with the NCAA. Stuff just happens for them, not against them.
This has been going on for decades. They get officiating breaks, players become eligible. Violations get ignored. This is how it works.
I personally think that the NCAA has run its course. It’s largely archaic and inept and has turned its back on its original founding principals.

It’s getting closer to a point when the large schools break from the NCAA and form their own oversight organization. Some coaches predict it will happen in the next 5-10 years.

Reactions: 82IU, 76-1 and mk23
MK, IU got a break on Jeremy Finch. Based on how his IU career went, he might have been better off having sat out a year.

Reactions: mk23
Thank you Myles Brand

Not trying to sound paranoid just pointing out the favoritism to the cash cows. If the NCAA come to a ruling in favor to let him play for the good of all, then how come they could not see fit to grant Bryant Fitzgerald his eligibility last year.
In all fairness, the situations are completely different. Sure, they should have granted Fitzgerald's eligibility, but the two sets of circumstances aren't comparable in any way.

In all fairness, the situations are completely different. Sure, they should have granted Fitzgerald's eligibility, but the two sets of circumstances aren't comparable in any way.

There wer 5 other kids at Ole Miss, all underclassmen like Patterson, who transferred out One of these kids was famous two years ago for announcing his commitment at the end of a parachute dive out of an airplane.
Anyway - the kid (Deontay Anderson), sat out last year and sued the university for misleading info about the NCAA penalties.
Realistically, all 5 of them should get the same immediate eligibility as Patterson. I think the NCAA looks at each case individually.

Reactions: 76-1
If you really follow college sports closely, schools that generate boatloads of cash for the NCAA (and we are talking football schools that pack 70,000+ stadiums) have always had major, major clout with the NCAA. Stuff just happens for them, not against them.
This has been going on for decades. They get officiating breaks, players become eligible. Violations get ignored. This is how it works.
I personally think that the NCAA has run its course. It’s largely archaic and inept and has turned its back on its original founding principals.

It’s getting closer to a point when the large schools break from the NCAA and form their own oversight organization. Some coaches predict it will happen in the next 5-10 years.
I think that'll happen much soon than later.

would that be good for iu? i think not.

would that be good for iu? i think not.

It depends on how the reformation happens. There are a lot of complexities that come into play.
There is talk about the P5 conferences being separate. There is talk about a “super conference” made up of exclusive football schools that would have some kind of attendance requirements /seating capacity. And, then you throw in the wrench with basketball. Many of those in a super conference don’t draw well in basketball. The March tournament would be NCAA members. Not sure how it all would work but will be driven by money. And, a super conference of 24 teams would be geared around these teams playing each other week-in and week-out in epic games that generate a ton of viewers. Of course, many of these teams in the super conference would see 11-1 seasons go to 8-4 or 7-5.
IU wouldn’t be in that conference but there would be a bunch of realignment with a ton of quality football schools.
There would also be near riots for the schools that are just outside these 24 in the super conference are left out.
Hard to say how that shakes out for IU. It could become a bigger player in another conference. It’s a lot of moving parts in such a thing.

MK, IU got a break on Jeremy Finch. Based on how his IU career went, he might have been better off having sat out a year.
You beat me to it, I was going to mention him. What we thought was a break at the time, really turned out not to be one at all. Maybe that is why the NCAA did it!!

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and mk23
It depends on how the reformation happens. There are a lot of complexities that come into play.
There is talk about the P5 conferences being separate. There is talk about a “super conference” made up of exclusive football schools that would have some kind of attendance requirements /seating capacity. And, then you throw in the wrench with basketball. Many of those in a super conference don’t draw well in basketball. The March tournament would be NCAA members. Not sure how it all would work but will be driven by money. And, a super conference of 24 teams would be geared around these teams playing each other week-in and week-out in epic games that generate a ton of viewers. Of course, many of these teams in the super conference would see 11-1 seasons go to 8-4 or 7-5.
IU wouldn’t be in that conference but there would be a bunch of realignment with a ton of quality football schools.
There would also be near riots for the schools that are just outside these 24 in the super conference are left out.
Hard to say how that shakes out for IU. It could become a bigger player in another conference. It’s a lot of moving parts in such a thing.
"many of these teams in the super conference would see 11-1 seasons go to 8-4 or 7-5"

And that's exactly why it will never happen.

"many of these teams in the super conference would see 11-1 seasons go to 8-4 or 7-5"

And that's exactly why it will never happen.

Don’t know if it will or won’t happen. However, a lot of these network deals come up for re-negotiations in 2022 and there is speculation that a super conference could generate something like $110 million per member school in tv deals in such a “super” conference as opposed to the $40 million take in the current alignments.
Schools would look hard at that. It would be an environment with huge t.v. events every Saturday with big matchups. 12 weeks in a row and this group would also likely be the eligible group for the playoffs. If the playoff format expands, they would have teams not from the super-conference slotted as well.

Don’t know if it will or won’t happen. However, a lot of these network deals come up for re-negotiations in 2022 and there is speculation that a super conference could generate something like $110 million per member school in tv deals in such a “super” conference as opposed to the $40 million take in the current alignments.
Schools would look hard at that. It would be an environment with huge t.v. events every Saturday with big matchups. 12 weeks in a row and this group would also likely be the eligible group for the playoffs. If the playoff format expands, they would have teams not from the super-conference slotted as well.
Oh, I'm not saying there won't be some kind of "super conference" or group of 'football' schools.

But I'm telling you right now, they won't exclusively play each other. They won't play a round robin with Alabama, O$U, Michigan, Southern Cal, LSU, Clemson, Auburn, Penn State, Wisconsin, UCLA, Oklahoma, Florida, Tennesse, Texas A&M, etc. And any self-respecting program like Iowa and Nebraska and Michigan State would never agree to be the pawns in such an organization.

Schools like Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Texas Tech, Arizona, Washington, Missouri, North Carolina, NC State, etc. would never agree to break up the conference structure so they could move down into a lower level of competition.

Why do you think we're in the same division with O$U, Michigan, Penn State and Mich. State?

Right now, we try to find ways to spend our Big Ten money. O$U can't possibly add any more varsity sports. What would they do with $110 million vs the $40 million they have now? Michigan? These schools can't possibly be motivated by money, at this point.

It just ain't gonna happen.

Right now, we try to find ways to spend our Big Ten money. O$U can't possibly add any more varsity sports. What would they do with $110 million vs the $40 million they have now? Michigan? These schools can't possibly be motivated by money, at this point.

It just ain't gonna happen.

You make some valid points, Danc, but never underestimate the lure and power of $$$$ on the greedy.

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT