ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Greenberg

Apr 30, 2015
So yesterday I was pretty surprised to see no coverage on any ncaa tournament game network (cbs,tbs,tnt,trutv) what so ever on Iu firing Tom Crean. Not bc I want the national recognition for Iu...Don't get it twisted. But rather bc I was highly curious, its my team, and as so many other Iu fans felt as well I'm sure, it been nice to soak up all the info we could about the entire situation... None the less, it was never ever mentioned. However, over on espn, and only on the 6 o clock version of sportscenter. Seth Greenberg and Jay Bilas sat down to briefly speak about it. Come to find out, apparently the reason it wasn't mentioned is bc alot of America believes we live in a bubble, we live in the past, and we tried to make firing Crean a trendy story along side sabotaging the ncaa tournament in announcing Creans firing right before the start of it...and so apparently those networks made it a point to not air anything on that situation, and "take away from the tournament", yea how selfish of iu, afterall, the ncaa knows nothing about exploiting situations for money, publicity, etc right? especially in the month of March.
Anyway, Seth went on to say how he thinks Glass echoing at the press conference "we will be looking heavily into any past alumnus when considering our next coach" is nothing more then a sly way of directly tryin to speak to Alford. And how Alford is no better then Crean on paper, etc etc etc, (almost to the point its like Seth Greenberg read this board for viewpoints on the pros vs cons of hiring Alford,remarkably similar vocal points)
Seth is saying iu is tryin too hard to maintain blue blood status, the banners were 30 years ago,and how dare the way Iu went about firing Tom Crean...I say, tell us how you really feel America, and I'll tell you how they'll reply...Not only does Dan Dakitch, Seth Greenberg, Jay Williams, & Jay Bilas all agree. But In fact, any basketball analyst I read yesterday through other sources of media and that actually had an opinion on the Crean firing... was nothing but negative & in favor of Crean. Furthermore they literally almost make it seem like Crean is actually too good for IU.

Last edited:
So yesterday I was pretty surprised to see no coverage on any ncaa tournament game network (cbs,tbs,tnt,trutv) what so ever on Iu firing Tom Crean. Not bc I want the national recognition for Iu...Don't get it twisted. But rather bc I was highly curious, its my team, and as so many other Iu fans felt as well I'm sure, it been nice to soak up all the info we could about the entire situation... None the less, it was never ever mentioned. However, over on espn, and only on the 6 o clock version of sportscenter. Seth Greenberg and Jay Bilas sat down to briefly speak about it. Come to find out, apparently the reason it wasn't mentioned is bc alot of America believes we live in a bubble, we live in the past, and we tried to make firing Crean a trendy story along side sabotaging the ncaa tournament in announcing Creans firing right before the start of it...and so apparently those networks made it a point to not air anything on that situation, and "take away from the tournament", yea how selfish of iu, afterall, the ncaa knows nothing about exploiting situations for money, publicity, etc right? especially in the month of March.
Anyway, Seth went on to say how he thinks Glass echoing at the press conference "we will be looking heavily into any past alumnus when considering our next coach" is nothing more then a sly way of directly tryin to speak to Alford. And how Alford is no better then Crean on paper, etc etc etc, (almost to the point Seth Greenberg must have read this board for viewpoints on the pros vs cons of hiring Alford).
Seth is saying iu is tryin too hard to maintain blue blood status, the banners were 30 years ago,and how dare the way Iu went about firing Tom Crean...I say, tell us how you really feel America, and I'll tell you how they'll reply...Not only does Dan Dakitch, Seth Greenberg, Jay Williams, & Jay Bilas agree. But In fact, any basketball analyst I read yesterday that had an opinion on the Crean firing was nothing but negative & in favor of Crean. Furthermore they literally almost make it seem like Crean is actully too good FOR IU.
I didn't take it that way at all. They all said timing was bad on IU part but they U seesrsnd why IU fired Crean. They also said it is a very good job and IU has the ability to gain interest from most coaches.

Anyway, Seth went on to say how he thinks Glass echoing at the press conference "we will be looking heavily into any past alumnus when considering our next coach" is nothing more then a sly way of directly tryin to speak to Alford. And how Alford is no better then Crean on paper, etc etc etc, (almost to the point Seth Greenberg must have read this board for viewpoints on the pros vs cons of hiring Alford).
Seth is saying iu is tryin too hard to maintain blue blood status, the banners were 30 years ago,and how dare the way Iu went about firing Tom Crean...I say, tell us how you really feel America, and I'll tell you how they'll reply...Not only does Dan Dakitch, Seth Greenberg, Jay Williams, & Jay Bilas agree. But In fact, any basketball analyst I read yesterday that had an opinion on the Crean firing was nothing but negative & in favor of Crean. Furthermore they literally almost make it seem like Crean is actully too good FOR IU.
Uh, it was all over twitter, SVP discussed it with Bilas and I think Greenberg on the 11pm SC in addition to the 6pm edition you mentioned, Alford, Donovan, and Marshall were all asked about the job, and it was absolutely mentioned during the tournament games. How on earth would it sabotage the tournament? Who was forcing anyone to watch Glass' PC?

But other than that, you're spot on! Also: paragraphs.

Reactions: outside shooter
Didn't Glass say he had had several conversations with Crean about his performance and the program? If so, Crean HAD to know he was coaching on thin ice. I'm thinking The Boys in Bristol look only at when the announcement was made, when the press release was made public and when the PC was held. But, it probably is just a tad more complicated than that.
That's just one problem with The Boys from Bristol.

I didn't take it that way at all. They all said timing was bad on IU part but they understand* why IU fired Crean. They also said it is a very good job and IU has the ability to gain interest from most coaches.
^^^ This is true. Sort of. THEIR understanding they spoke of firing Crean is merely how it logically happened. Not that they agreed with it in anyway.
To put it another way,it wasnt even close to being a correct thing to do.
Thats like saying,
I understood how the events leading up to a murder happened. The man was angry,purchased the weapon, etc.
But in no way does that make it acceptable right,correct, etc. I understand how it happened, but doesnt mean they shouldnt face a consequence

Reactions: moneyadvisor
Uh, it was all over twitter, SVP discussed it with Bilas and I think Greenberg on the 11pm SC in addition to the 6pm edition you mentioned, Alford, Donovan, and Marshall were all asked about the job, and it was absolutely mentioned during the tournament games. How on earth would it sabotage the tournament? Who was forcing anyone to watch Glass' PC?

But other than that, you're spot on! Also: paragraphs.
I watched basketball ALL DAY LONG YESTERDAY. Never saw it on any NCAA game network....The 11 o clock sporstcenter either, (was repeatedly about westbtooks under the leg pass mostly)

I watched all day yesterday also, flipping between games, and never heard Crean's name mentioned during any broadcasts. Not saying it didn't happen, but I was looking for it for awhile.

Reactions: hoosier_est_1984
Anyway, Seth went on to say how he thinks Glass echoing at the press conference "we will be looking heavily into any past alumnus when considering our next coach" is nothing more then a sly way of directly tryin to speak to Alford. And how Alford is no better then Crean on paper, etc etc etc, (almost to the point its like Seth Greenberg read this board for viewpoints on the pros vs cons of hiring Alford,remarkably similar vocal points)
Seth is saying iu is tryin too hard to maintain blue blood status, the banners were 30 years ago,and how dare the way Iu went about firing Tom Crean...I say, tell us how you really feel America, and I'll tell you how they'll reply...Not only does Dan Dakitch, Seth Greenberg, Jay Williams, & Jay Bilas all agree. But In fact, any basketball analyst I read yesterday through other sources of media and that actually had an opinion on the Crean firing... was nothing but negative & in favor of Crean. Furthermore they literally almost make it seem like Crean is actually too good for IU.
That's dumb about the timing. The timing was right, you do the firing right away so you are in play for potential candidates early. Though coaches are still coaching, we have our people talk to their people, gauge interest etc. Gives you time to start doing that, do background checks, get ducks in a row. All that.

Imo it was announced at that time to minimize the exposure with the tourney starting. Those guys are fn idiots; just bc they're on tv doesn't mean they're too bright. I also think that, contrary to the firing trying to minimize the hype due to timing, the hiring will be the exact opposite and not be announced until after the tourney is over. Take that to the bank-they will WANT the attention when the new hire is made. Also, if it's not announced by Friday after the championship game..I'm saying it's gonna be Donovan or maybe, just maybe Stevens (gonna get blasted for the last part I know but gotta dream).

I heard Seth Greenberg say that maybe Donovan might be interested in Indiana after losing Durant to the Warriors. Purely speculation that Donovan may want to leave OKC.

Gottfried,Groce,Anderson. All fired , not a tear shed. Crean fired, and its highly suspect in every aspect by virtually every analyst. Atleast those thats personally commented their opinion on it.

I heard Seth Greenberg say that maybe Donovan might be interested in Indiana after losing Durant to the Warriors. Purely speculation that Donovan may want to leave OKC.
I dont follow NBA these days that much. But I would think Westbrooks and his ball hog antics might actually be more of a factor of driving out Donovan then losing Durant no?

I dont follow NBA these days that much. But I would think Westbrooks and his ball hog antics might actually be more of a factor of driving out Donovan then losing Durant no?
Westbrook is probably leaving soon too. IIRC he has an opt out clause and if OKC is smart they won't wait and get something for him before that happens. Can you imagine losing Durant, Westbrook, and Harden with only Steven Adams in return

I remember when Kentucky fired their coach in 09 or 10 which ever it was ..It was all over the net,radio and every sports channel. It was also right before the NCAAT..Got more coverage than the tourney

Last edited:
Westbrook is probably leaving soon too. IIRC he has an opt out clause and if OKC is smart they won't wait and get something for him before that happens. Can you imagine losing Durant, Westbrook, and Harden with only Steven Adams in return
I'm not sure whether your advocating Westbrook being a asset or not. But that sure does seem like alot of turmoil for a proven coach (who can go else where) who apparently liked the way things originally* were when signed up to coach. (or wouldn't had signed up to begin with)

I'm not sure whether your advocating Westbrook being a asset or not. But that sure does seem like alot of turmoil for a proven coach (who can go else where) who apparently liked the way things originally* were when signed up to coach. (or wouldn't had signed up to begin with)
If Westbrook leaves. BD is at most 3yrs from being fired. In the NBA, The coach during the rebuild rarely lasts long enough to reap the benefits of the losing.

That's dumb about the timing. The timing was right, you do the firing right away so you are in play for potential candidates early. Though coaches are still coaching, we have our people talk to their people, gauge interest etc. Gives you time to start doing that, do background checks, get ducks in a row. All that.
This^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!

Greenberg and Crean are buddy's and they should be analysts together. Both great at talking about basketball vs. executing anything related to an actual game.

Reactions: asindc
I have to admit that I do not know what all goes into the due diligence phase of a major coaching search but, I also have to admit that I know that phase happens so, what you say makes a boatload of sense. Well, to me, anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT