ADVERTISEMENT

Series Reset Next Year

Yogi Ferrell shot 30% his freshman year. He stepped it up to 40% and maxed out at 42%. Pretty big jump and it isn’t uncommon to see that. Oladipo was 20% his Soph year and by his Jr year was 44% on higher volume.

Guys develop and work on their weaknesses to improve. So nobody on this board knows how things will turn out, even after we know who the team members will be for next season.

By the time Gunn and JHS are upper classmen they very well could be good or better shooters (even though JHS probably never becomes an upperclassmen). I am specifically talking about 2022, they will almost assuredly be poor 3pt shooters as freshman.

Edit: the top freshman 3 point shooter on a power 5 team was terquarvion (sp?) Smith from NC State at 38%. His senior year in HS he shot 54% from 3.

Last edited:
By the time Gunn and JHS are upper classmen they very well could be good or better shooters (even though JHS probably never becomes an upperclassmen). I am specifically talking about 2022, they will almost assuredly be poor 3pt shooters as freshman.

Edit: the top freshman 3 point shooter on a power 5 team was terquarvion (sp?) Smith from NC State at 38%. His senior year in HS he shot 54% from 3.
Expecting freshmen to be all world in their first year is almost as dumb as expecting 2nd, 3rd or 4th year players to have zero development from year to year…

Of course there are always exceptions.

Expecting freshmen to be all world in their first year is almost as dumb as expecting 2nd, 3rd or 4th year players to have zero development from year to year…

Of course there are always exceptions.
We have seen enough recruiting classes to know most freshman do not come in and make a major impact the first year . In fact most do not make much impact at all the first yet. Yet every spring the blinders go on and we pump the new guys up once again. I learned after the movement class to never expect that much out of freshman unless they are like Eric Gordon or Romeo.

what makes you think we lose a bunch of guys? Guys stayed after worse seasons under Miller….
Oh ya, you think that because this is your shtick. You’re the douche that’s gonna drop turds into every thread for 8 months.
Can’t wait!
The guy can fart storm clouds like no other. I picture a miserable old dude sitting around in his wife beater tee shirt complaining about anything and everything whenever I read his posts. He’s not a glass half empty guy, he’s a glass won’t hold my beer guy.

Reactions: bub-rub
We have seen enough recruiting classes to know most freshman do not come in and make a major impact the first year . In fact most do not make much impact at all the first yet. Yet every spring the blinders go on and we pump the new guys up once again. I learned after the movement class to never expect that much out of freshman unless they are like Eric Gordon or Romeo.
Pretty much. But it doesn’t mean there is no reason to be excited about incoming players with potential. And sometimes, they can contribute quality minutes in their first year. But mostly people see them as the shiny new toy.

While I’m excited to see what the incoming freshmen can do, I’m more interested to see how some of these young returning players develop and respond to bigger roles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT