ADVERTISEMENT

Season Preview podcast with interviews from Tom Allen and Zach Osterman

jlasson

Freshman
Jun 24, 2021

Stumbled upon this podcast and would say it's worth a listen. All things considered, the host does a pretty good job running these interviews and doing his homework on the makeup of the roster for next season, and I personally love to get Osterman's take on IUFB.

I agree that IU is really an unknown this year as the QB isn't settled, a new OL coach will make the OL better but by how much, receivers are very talented and are speedy but how will they perform.

How will the DL change the defense this year. Our LBs look capable but how will the DBs do this year?

STs has some change but not much so the question really is how well the cover teams will be.

I can dream about IU playing well at every position and having a season few believe they can have this year just as the 1967 team did. I can also see it taking time to come together causing IU to struggle to win six games and qualify for a bowl game.

I agree that IU is really an unknown this year as the QB isn't settled, a new OL coach will make the OL better but by how much, receivers are very talented and are speedy but how will they perform.

How will the DL change the defense this year. Our LBs look capable but how will the DBs do this year?

STs has some change but not much so the question really is how well the cover teams will be.

I can dream about IU playing well at every position and having a season few believe they can have this year just as the 1967 team did. I can also see it taking time to come together causing IU to struggle to win six games and qualify for a bowl game.
Yeah anyone that says they know exactly what to expect from IU this year is full of ****. That being said I'd respectfully take a little bit more of a pessimistic view on our projected win total, my mindset is that this is still IUFB so it's highly unlikely the majority of our unknowns turn into A+'s. Vegas has the O/U at 3.5 which seems low to me, but my number is realistically 4 or 5 wins in a normal season. I hope I'm wrong making a bowl would really surprise me unless we get some magic from the QB position.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
Yeah anyone that says they know exactly what to expect from IU this year is full of ****. That being said I'd respectfully take a little bit more of a pessimistic view on our projected win total, my mindset is that this is still IUFB so it's highly unlikely the majority of our unknowns turn into A+'s. Vegas has the O/U at 3.5 which seems low to me, but my number is realistically 4 or 5 wins in a normal season. I hope I'm wrong making a bowl would really surprise me unless we get some magic from the QB position.
I am with you realistically thinking five games at this stage but I hope players play at their potential because eight isn't out of the question.

With some added level of talent both in uniform and wearing headsets on the sideline and up in the booth I got to believe every game builds improvement and momentum as the player talent this year is also more mature and experienced than last. Something seasoned coaches really can focus on with instruction. Also experienced players often offer more nasty. I can see PUke losing the Bucket and IUFB with 5-6 W's.

I really want to jump on the over, but also know Vegas wasn't built on losing.
Completely agree, running with the assumption that Indiana beats Akron and ISU. Which I wouldn't say is a guarantee, especially not after what we've seen against Western Kentucky the last few years, but Akron is imo significantly worse than WKU, so I'm not nearly as worried about that game as I was for WKU last year. Even if you toss out the games against the big three in the East as losses, that leaves IU needing to go 2-5 against "winnable" P5 teams. There's plenty of reason to be uncertain about IUFB next year, but there's a lot of uncertainty around those teams as well. I won't break down each game, but if I definitely feel like it's a low risk play to bet that Indiana wins two of those seven games. Worth noting the line is slightly juiced in favor of the over, so clearly Vegas thinks four wins is more likely than three, but still a good value Imo.

Last edited:
Completely agree, running with the assumption that Indiana beats Akron and ISU. Which I wouldn't say is a guarantee, especially not after what we've seen against Western Kentucky the last few years, but Akron is imo significantly worse than WKU, so I'm not nearly as worried about that game as I was for WKU last year. Even if you toss out the games against the big three in the East as losses, that leaves IU needing to go 2-5 against "winnable" P5 teams. There's plenty of reason to be uncertain about IUFB next year, but there's a lot of uncertainty around those teams as well. I won't break down each game, but if I definitely feel like it's a low risk play to bet that Indiana wins two of those seven games. Worth noting the line is slightly juiced in favor of the over, so clearly Vegas thinks four wins is more likely than three, but still a good value Imo.
I think IU will win more games than many think IU will. I have hard time waiting to see the team play OSU and see how they do. Knock them off and the football world would be shocked. They aren't ready to face the OL that will be much better than before or the DL that is load with good players.

You either practice hard or you don't practice at all. In warm-ups before an actual game you go through the motions in any sport.

But to play a freaking touch football game at the end of spring training was an absolute embarrassment. If anything it just it's a half-assed effort into muscle memory. It would have been a much more positive development just feeding everybody hamburgers and skip the freaking powder puff game altogether.

Reactions: IUgradman
I think IU will win more games than many think IU will. I have hard time waiting to see the team play OSU and see how they do. Knock them off and the football world would be shocked. They aren't ready to face the OL that will be much better than before or the DL that is load with good players.
Game 1 is a tough ask. The motivation factor will be there for both teams. OSU’s DL and LB’s are all returning. Their question is OL. A few portal guys have came in but the DL dominated them in spring. I’m not going to question QB as until they prove everyone wrong, I’ll assume that he’s just as good as the guy before him.

Stumbled upon this podcast and would say it's worth a listen. All things considered, the host does a pretty good job running these interviews and doing his homework on the makeup of the roster for next season, and I personally love to get Osterman's take on IUFB.
Wow, Osterman is So much better answering questions than leading a discussion. I was impressed by his part; Tom Allen is Tom Allen doing pre-season coach talk.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Wow, Osterman is So much better answering questions than leading a discussion. I was impressed by his part; Tom Allen is Tom Allen doing pre-season coach talk.
I agree. But I feel TA has improved. He's not talking ... SQUIRREL! ... as fast (he's still too fast) and he's focusing... SQUIRREL!..... his thoughts. He's not going off .... SQUIRREL!.... on tangents nearly as much.

I really want to jump on the over, but also know Vegas wasn't built on losing.
I hear you but, at this point - - before a single game has been played - - I don't think Vegas knows much/any more than we do. Particularly in the transfer portal era, with significant roster changes from season to season, I think it's little more than a (pun intended . . . ) crapshoot this early.

They're trying to generate action, and are guided by the bettors. And, after the last two seasons, bettors aren't going to be all in on Indiana. I would think a 3.5 O/U on total wins will likely generate fairly equal action on both sides, which is the goal. I'd go with the over but: 1) I'm biased and; 2) as someone else said, no one has much of a clue as to how this season will unfold. So many roster and coaching changes since the 2022 season ended.

I hear you but, at this point - - before a single game has been played - - I don't think Vegas knows much/any more than we do. Particularly in the transfer portal era, with significant roster changes from season to season, I think it's little more than a (pun intended . . . ) crapshoot this early.

They're trying to generate action, and are guided by the bettors. And, after the last two seasons, bettors aren't going to be all in on Indiana. I would think a 3.5 O/U on total wins will likely generate fairly equal action on both sides, which is the goal. I'd go with the over but: 1) I'm biased and; 2) as someone else said, no one has much of a clue as to how this season will unfold. So many roster and coaching changes since the 2022 season ended.
I bet Vegas didn't see MSU 11-2 season two years ago so I don't put much on their numbers for IU. IU could get all the talent out of the players this year and win six or more games this year. On the other hand, things might not mesh and it could be another year that isn't very good. As several of us have said, "who knows how IU's season will go" as injuries or players not living up to expectations could cause issues.

I bet Vegas didn't see MSU 11-2 season two years ago so I don't put much on their numbers for IU. IU could get all the talent out of the players this year and win six or more games this year. On the other hand, things might not mesh and it could be another year that isn't very good. As several of us have said, "who knows how IU's season will go" as injuries or players not living up to expectations could cause issues.
Yes, should IU get ‘deer in the headlights’ QB play, look for the number to drop to 2.5. If either QB choice plays with confidence, the 3.5 bet will be pretty safe. IU needs to win at least three among UL, MD, UI, UW, MSU, and PU to get bowl eligible. (Assuming wins v. Akron, ISU, and Rutgers).

I think Fickle will have Wisconsin ready to play in Memorial Stadium … understanding how close Cincy came to losing two years ago. I think there is too much change in E Lansing. Beat UW, And there should be enough confidence to beat MSU in Memorial Stadium on Senior Day. Any thing can happen going to Ross Ade with 5 wins.

For me, Illinois will be the wild card. They lost 3 DBs to the NFL … they will be hard pressed to repeat last year‘s pass defense stats, and won’t be able to overload the box to stop the run. ( IUs receiver speed needs to stay on the field this year).

Last edited:
One of the few benefits to playing OSU week one is we know injuries won't be a factor. I am a fervent believer that injuries affect the bottom half of the sport way more than the top half, below average teams have no depth. Last year by November, Indiana had to put in Kaiden Turner, a true freshman low three star as a starting Linebacker. How are teams like IU expected to compete with teams like OSU in that scenario? Nothing against Turner ofc, he should never have been put in that position and hopefully will still develop into a great player in a few years, he's just a good example from last year about injuries have hamstrung us.

Now that I've gotten the injuries rant off my chest we can move on to matchups. The line play stands to be more competitive than it was in '21 or '22, especially our D-line against their O-line. OSU lost both tackles to the NFL and their portal guys do not look impressive. It's hard to be too optimistic because in OSU's games against us, they've tended to assert themselves athletically more than they have overpowered us with their line play, and I don't expect that to change much given the situation with our secondary. OSU's defensive front is just nasty this year, three upperclassmen who project to be day 1/2 draft picks. So regardless of what happens in the OSU game I'm going to refrain from judgment of Bostad's group until I see what they look like against Louisville in week three. If our QB can handle the pressure (both metaphorical and literal) I do really like our WR's against their secondary, but obviously it's hard to feel too confident since so many of our and their projected starters in that matchup are transfers .

I don't love the 28 point line. My guess is either OSU has trouble out of the gate and Indiana is better than people are giving them credit for, in which case I would bet IU +21.5, or OSU comes out firing on all cylinders and overpowers Indiana with their superior talent, in which case I'd bet OSU -35.5. But however it turns out I'm ready to get this show on the road.

One of the few benefits to playing OSU week one is we know injuries won't be a factor. I am a fervent believer that injuries affect the bottom half of the sport way more than the top half, below average teams have no depth. Last year by November, Indiana had to put in Kaiden Turner, a true freshman low three star as a starting Linebacker. How are teams like IU expected to compete with teams like OSU in that scenario? Nothing against Turner ofc, he should never have been put in that position and hopefully will still develop into a great player in a few years, he's just a good example from last year about injuries have hamstrung us.

Now that I've gotten the injuries rant off my chest we can move on to matchups. The line play stands to be more competitive than it was in '21 or '22, especially our D-line against their O-line. OSU lost both tackles to the NFL and their portal guys do not look impressive. It's hard to be too optimistic because in OSU's games against us, they've tended to assert themselves athletically more than they have overpowered us with their line play, and I don't expect that to change much given the situation with our secondary. OSU's defensive front is just nasty this year, three upperclassmen who project to be day 1/2 draft picks. So regardless of what happens in the OSU game I'm going to refrain from judgment of Bostad's group until I see what they look like against Louisville in week three. If our QB can handle the pressure (both metaphorical and literal) I do really like our WR's against their secondary, but obviously it's hard to feel too confident since so many of our and their projected starters in that matchup are transfers .

I don't love the 28 point line. My guess is either OSU has trouble out of the gate and Indiana is better than people are giving them credit for, in which case I would bet IU +21.5, or OSU comes out firing on all cylinders and overpowers Indiana with their superior talent, in which case I'd bet OSU -35.5. But however it turns out I'm ready to get this show on the road.
They’ve been dominant up front against us during the Tom Allen era, rushing for 340, 187, 307, 306, 154, and 292 yards in those six games. I strongly suspect they’ll bring an outstanding running game, along with 20k obnoxious, intoxicated fans, to our place in Game 1.

I think this is why coach Allen went heavy on the DL through the portal. We will see if our defensive front is up to the task this year. There are several issues IU needs to address and if they do then the OSU game could be closer than expected.

They’ve been dominant up front against us during the Tom Allen era, rushing for 340, 187, 307, 306, 154, and 292 yards in those six games. I strongly suspect they’ll bring an outstanding running game, along with 20k obnoxious, intoxicated fans, to our place in Game 1.
Ofc they have been dominant up front against us, it's still Ohio State, but when I watch those games, I see their skill players making plays more than I notice them pulverizing IU at the LOS. Especially when you compare the OSU games to our games against Michigan, who just obliterated IU in the trenches, but outside of that one Corum run last season, our skill players mostly went toe to toe with them.

Both OSU games the past two years have been over by halftime because their skill players exert their superiority on ours (in addition to them winning the LOS on both sides of the ball). UM has needed four quarters to prove they were superior to IU the last two seasons, IMHO this is because they were just dominating the trenches and everywhere else was relatively close.

Ofc they have been dominant up front against us, it's still Ohio State, but when I watch those games, I see their skill players making plays more than I notice them pulverizing IU at the LOS. Especially when you compare the OSU games to our games against Michigan, who just obliterated IU in the trenches, but outside of that one Corum run last season, our skill players mostly went toe to toe with them.

Both OSU games the past two years have been over by halftime because their skill players exert their superiority on ours (in addition to them winning the LOS on both sides of the ball). UM has needed four quarters to prove they were superior to IU the last two seasons, IMHO this is because they were just dominating the trenches and everywhere else was relatively close.
We have to be able to run the ball somewhat from the quarterback position to make Bell’s offense effective, so that’s literally our r highest priority on O going into the season. Without that threat, defenses will force us into second / third and longs, and that will bury us. I think we’re likely looking at a very challenging season again, but a surprise with QB play is the key to turning it in a better direction.

For the record, and those of us that go to the games (and don't lie about it for some strange reason) know this...Ahia has not brought anywhere near 20K fans to memorial in over a decade. They did at one point, and PU fans love to point that out.

They still bring more than anyone else, but much smaller numbers than years ago.

We have to be able to run the ball somewhat from the quarterback position to make Bell’s offense effective, so that’s literally our r highest priority on O going into the season. Without that threat, defenses will force us into second / third and longs, and that will bury us. I think we’re likely looking at a very challenging season again, but a surprise with QB play is the key to turning it in a better direction.
Both Sorsby and Jackson ran the ball in high school so I hope they both show they can run as well as Williams did because it would give IU better offense. If the QB can run, we have RBs that can punish defense with an improved OL that we saw at the end of the season. Thinking IU can run the ball once again to go along with a passing game is exciting and I hope we can see it on the field. I am excited about this team and want to see what they can do.

Both Sorsby and Jackson ran the ball in high school so I hope they both show they can run as well as Williams did because it would give IU better offense. If the QB can run, we have RBs that can punish defense with an improved OL that we saw at the end of the season. Thinking IU can run the ball once again to go along with a passing game is exciting and I hope we can see it on the field. I am excited about this team and want to see what they can do.
Most here are

Bell’s offense is absolutely a run first attack, and we know he wants to have that capability to extend to the quarterback position. Would like nothing more than to hear the deafening silence of the 20k obnoxious OSU fans that come to Bloomington every other season like clockwork when we’re laying on them with our run game.

Reactions: Hoosier009
For the record, and those of us that go to the games (and don't lie about it for some strange reason) know this...Ahia has not brought anywhere near 20K fans to memorial in over a decade. They did at one point, and PU fans love to point that out.

They still bring more than anyone else, but much smaller numbers than years ago.
O$U is not sold out yet … but it will be. Good seats are $110.
Maybe inflation will take a toll on attendance this year …

Interesting. 3:30 is a great start time and works for families.

Ahia will bring their usual 8K fans so 44K home fans should not be a stretch to sell it out.

Perhaps a lot of fans are waiting to see how they look in real time.

Bringing 20k has always been a function of both the scarcity of tickets at the ‘shoe as well as the relative price per seat bargain that we offer, in spite of the fact that we’ve made it a premium priced ticket (at least how we define it). They’re obnoxious drunks and insufferable, but they loves their Bucks.

Where do you get the 20K number? I know they travel well but I don't think they've been able to get 20K tickets since the Lynch years. This is a legitimate question, not a shot b/c I don't really know.

Bringing 20k has always been a function of both the scarcity of tickets at the ‘shoe as well as the relative price per seat bargain that we offer, in spite of the fact that we’ve made it a premium priced ticket (at least how we define it). They’re obnoxious drunks and insufferable, but they loves their Bucks.

And Scott and crew will put on their goody two shoes and roll out the red carpet for our guests.
They always want to make sure that IU is very hospitable for its guests and a place that opposing teams can feel is a home away from home. Scott wants to make it very enjoyable for guests and be the perfect host.
He’ll make sure we arrange a nice tribute to Ohio State with the band. Our fans will allow them choice tickets and the team may even just roll over to make it a wonderful evening for our esteemed guests from Columbus.

Most of the obnoxious drunks are the non-alum, rabid hill people from the state that, as you said, wouldn’t be able to get a ticket to OSU games if their life depended on it. It’s their one opportunity to get out of the trailer court and watch the state team play live.

And Scott and crew will put on their goody two shoes and roll out the red carpet for our guests.
They always want to make sure that IU is very hospitable for its guests and a place that opposing teams can feel is a home away from home. Scott wants to make it very enjoyable for guests and be the perfect host.
He’ll make sure we arrange a nice tribute to Ohio State with the band. Our fans will allow them choice tickets and the team may even just roll over to make it a wonderful evening for our esteemed guests from Columbus.
They’re awful.

Where do you get the 20K number? I know they travel well but I don't think they've been able to get 20K tickets since the Lynch years. This is a legitimate question, not a shot b/c I don't really know.
Just based it on the division of their fans versus ours . . . 60% us v. 40% them. I remember reading an article in the Columbus Dispatch about how much they liked coming to Bloomington, how easy and cheap tickets were, how close and convenient the parking was. I think the crowds have been very consistent through the years, and I’ve been to every game, including the rain soaked one two years ago. We’ve had people around us (Section 6) who were furious that they would have seats in that area.

The "20K" number posted here at least three times is an old tired trollbait for my benefit and simply a shot at IU. Ask RBB89.

Ahia has indeed traveled with 20K but not in a long time and even then only in the weakest years in Btown. Ahia still brings more fans than any other visitor but in recent games it has been closer to 8K than 20K. It is obvious in the stadium. They come becuase they travel well and can't get tix in the TennisShoe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the obnoxious drunks are the non-alum, rabid hill people from the state that, as you said, wouldn’t be able to get a ticket to OSU games if their life depended on it. It’s their one opportunity to get out of the trailer court and watch the state team play live.
Exactly, which is why they come to our place in huge numbers. Those of us who attend games know this. 20k is accurate, though less than a few of the darkest years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT