ADVERTISEMENT

Satanic invocations after high school football games

Fun story from Deadspin about a coach who got in trouble for refusing to stop engaging in post-game prayers with other Christians, so the local chapter of the Satanic Temple has decided to step up and offer an alternative.

http://deadspin.com/coming-soon-to-seattle-area-high-school-football-satan-1739328162

I've never understood why post game college prayers or allowed in public unis... or these chaplains, or what Crean does for that matter. Seems like it should be a separation issue imo.

I've never understood why post game college prayers or allowed in public unis... or these chaplains, or what Crean does for that matter. Seems like it should be a separation issue imo.
Basically, it boils down to the fact that college students are older and are not captive audiences. Public colleges have to follow the same rules as any other public institution, when it comes to religion. Primary and secondary schools have stricter rules they have to follow because of the unique situation of their underaged, captive wards.

5 dumbest religions in order.

1. Satanism
2. Scientology
3. Hinduism
4. Mormonism
5. Islam

What about these religions (Besides Mormonism, because it goes without saying) make them inherently "dumb" relative to Christianity?

Basically, it boils down to the fact that college students are older and are not captive audiences. Public colleges have to follow the same rules as any other public institution, when it comes to religion. Primary and secondary schools have stricter rules they have to follow because of the unique situation of their underaged, captive wards.
They are using public property. They are using public resources to further their religion. That's screwed up.

They are using public property. They are using public resources to further their religion. That's screwed up.

So its a Consitiutional crisis when Grampaw is sitting on a bench on the courthouse square, BUILT WITH GOVERNMENT $$$$, spitting and whittling, and says "Thanks God - great day - appreciate it"?

Big problem,

BIG BIG problem.

So its a Consitiutional crisis when Grampaw is sitting on a bench on the courthouse square, BUILT WITH GOVERNMENT $$$$, spitting and whittling, and says "Thanks God - great day - appreciate it"?

Big problem,

BIG BIG problem.

You can't legislate thought. Secondly, grandpa isn't a public employee.

So someone can't pray on public property? Lmao. Your stupidity knows no end

If they are a public employee then I don't believe they should be able to use their public position and public resources to engage in missionary work. Praying silently is fine.

Dumb because you are a Jesus freak? Religion should be eliminated. It's for rubes.

You can't legislate thought. Secondly, grandpa isn't a public employee.

If they are a public employee then I don't believe they should be able to use their public position and public resources to engage in missionary work. Praying silently is fine.

Dumb

Fun story from Deadspin about a coach who got in trouble for refusing to stop engaging in post-game prayers with other Christians, so the local chapter of the Satanic Temple has decided to step up and offer an alternative.

http://deadspin.com/coming-soon-to-seattle-area-high-school-football-satan-1739328162

When I was a little kid I went to public school, and we had religious education....but not on site.

During 3rd period we had to walk single file across the parking lot to the apartment complex across the way and it was held in a conference room.

Didn't learn much - - but I did learn a cool song:

I'm not sure - not really following it - but I think that's what the HS football coach was doing.
I read somewhere that after a game, he'd just walk off by himself and kneel down and say a prayer.
Then players noticed and started joining him.
Then it moved to the field - sorta like when members of Fellowship of Christian Athletes meet on a football field after a game and say a short prayer.
Now its a federal f'ing case because some people don't like the idea that God exists and don't want to have think about it on the way to the strip club - spoils the mood.

Preventing anyone from praying out loud on public property would be unconstitutional. Including public employees. The problem with this football coach is that he is doing it with students.

When I was a little kid I went to public school, and we had religious education....but not on site.

During 3rd period we had to walk single file across the parking lot to the apartment complex across the way and it was held in a conference room.

Didn't learn much - - but I did learn a cool song:

We had that, too. It was in a trailer brought onto school property for the purpose. I never went. In hindsight, I can't believe they got away with it.

Preventing anyone from praying out loud on public property would be unconstitutional. Including public employees. The problem with this football coach is that he is doing it with students.

He's doing missionary work. On what basis should unis have school chaplains? How is that not an endorsement of religion?

He's doing missionary work. On what basis should unis have school chaplains? How is that not an endorsement of religion?
It probably is, but the chaplain is not a public employee. And public entities - especially schools - aren't just banned from endorsing religion. They are also banned from inhibiting it. If the team wants a chaplain, and the FCA (who usually pays them, I believe) asks for access, the school might have First Amendment problems if it refused.

Now, in practice, team chaplains are usually hand-picked by coaches or athletic directors, regardless of who pays them or how many students on the team want one. That definitely makes it a shadier situation. But the First Amendment flows in two directions. It guarantees a secular state, but it prohibits an anti-religion state just as strongly as it prohibits a pro-religion state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT