ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers IU

Pike has had a penchant for using McConnell on the opposing teams' playmaking guards. The theory is to choke off the offensive flow from the primary ballhandler, and hope that this has impact on the opposing team's offensive sets. I would expect McConnell to guard JHS for this reason.

The battle between TJD and Cliff down low should be interesting. Trace really playing at an AA level lately. Cliff's not a ball-denier, so TJD is going to get lots of touches on the block. You can expect Rutgers to double him often and make him pass out to the wings. But your team is shooting 38% from deep, so this strategy makes me nervous.

With Mag out, I have a sick feeling that you're going to boat race us tonight, as Mag is a HUGE part of our defensive strategy, both in the full-court press and in the half court sets.

IU has trouble maintaining intensity level game to game and especially after a big win, which concerns me regarding tonight’s matchup. Hopefully, they have turned the corner on this and exact retribution on RU. That said, I’m expecting IU to win in a close one with some ugly stretches of play.
This was an Archie era trait that continued last year for a while. I hope Woodson uses the bench tonight. Geronimo, Reneau, Banks, Gunn and Bates need minutes so they can add some energy.

Pike has had a penchant for using McConnell on the opposing teams' playmaking guards. The theory is to choke off the offensive flow from the primary ballhandler, and hope that this has impact on the opposing team's offensive sets. I would expect McConnell to guard JHS for this reason.

The battle between TJD and Cliff down low should be interesting. Trace really playing at an AA level lately. Cliff's not a ball-denier, so TJD is going to get lots of touches on the block. You can expect Rutgers to double him often and make him pass out to the wings. But your team is shooting 38% from deep, so this strategy makes me nervous.

With Mag out, I have a sick feeling that you're going to boat race us tonight, as Mag is a HUGE par ofW
Woodson has to get Race out of the game and put better offensive players like Reneau and Banks into the game. If you get a lead then you can put Race back in for defense.

Woodson has to get Race out of the game and put better offensive players like Reneau and Banks into the game. If you get a lead then you can put Race back in for defense.
Leads are often the result of getting stops - it cuts both ways. For my money, I'll trust the guy who game-planned and managed a win over the #1 team in the nation just three days ago to decide who plays and when.

Leads are often the result of getting stops - it cuts both ways. For my money, I'll trust the guy who game-planned and managed a win over the #1 team in the nation just three days ago to decide who plays and when.
I agree. They had Kopp out there in the second half Saturday and he got tired. His man hit 3 3's. Race can't move. He had the big steal and made free throws but he is very limited now. RU has a much different big man to guard who is too quick for Race.

Trey will guard Mulcahy.
I know Johnson drew the Mulcahy assignment in the past, and both of them can be.... let's say spirited at times. Mulcahy will have a bit of a height advantage on Galloway, but probably not so much of one that he'd look to back him into the post on every play like he does to 6-2 guards. Galloway doesn't seem to have the steal numbers that Johnson or Hood-Schifino does, so that might give Mulcahy some openings to make plays for others.

Big question will be Omoruyi/TJD and fouls. Last time out, Omoruyi picked up 2 early fouls and was limited to just 20 minutes, while Mag picked up a lot of the defensive slack on TJD. Both Omoruyi/TJD fouled out of that game - but TJD got 35 minutes which was already a touch above his average. If Omoruyi picks up early fouls again, we won't have Mag to pick up that slack.

Also very interested to see how well Spencer and Simpson perform. Simpson had a big game the last time out, but hasn't made a ton of noise since. Spencer has had some big games for us from the arc, but he's been hot-and-cold lately. It'll be the first time either has played at your place, too.

This was an Archie era trait that continued last year for a while. I hope Woodson uses the bench tonight. Geronimo, Reneau, Banks, Gunn and Bates need minutes so they can add some energy.

Is Geronimo back from injury?

I know Johnson drew the Mulcahy assignment in the past, and both of them can be.... let's say spirited at times. Mulcahy will have a bit of a height advantage on Galloway, but probably not so much of one that he'd look to back him into the post on every play like he does to 6-2 guards. Galloway doesn't seem to have the steal numbers that Johnson or Hood-Schifino does, so that might give Mulcahy some openings to make plays for others.

Big question will be Omoruyi/TJD and fouls. Last time out, Omoruyi picked up 2 early fouls and was limited to just 20 minutes, while Mag picked up a lot of the defensive slack on TJD. Both Omoruyi/TJD fouled out of that game - but TJD got 35 minutes which was already a touch above his average. If Omoruyi picks up early fouls again, we won't have Mag to pick up that slack.

Also very interested to see how well Spencer and Simpson perform. Simpson had a big game the last time out, but hasn't made a ton of noise since. Spencer has had some big games for us from the arc, but he's been hot-and-cold lately. It'll be the first time either has played at your place, too.
Don’t forget TJD was hurt. He’s a different animal right now.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Don’t forget TJD was hurt. He’s a different animal right now.

And anyone not named Kopp was also ice cold from the arc (1-16, .063), which isn't likely to happen again, either. Expecting a very different game tonight, and a very tough test for Rutgers.

Considering where expectations were for iu pre season, I think this is a wrong statement. But have your fun while you can.
Take your top defender and your top ball handler out

Take your fourth best starter and Sr glue guy out for four games then put him back at 70%

Take your top freshman starter and likely BTFOTY out for two games

Take your backup big man out for five games

You might not be meeting preseason expectations either.

Oh...and "lovely blonde"?....at PU?

So you are THE one.

Until this thread, I didn’t even know Rutgers had fans
Might be my favorite set of opposing fans... at least until the 1st game this year. For some reason, that one seemed to set them off and talking tons of shit. Ironically, I think it was their former player (Geno Baker?) that stirred the pot on that, and I also think they got butthurt over our preseason ranking and press. Prior to that they were pretty respectful and seemed to be enjoying their rise in the hoops world. Iowa fans have been decent but not very many of them, and MSU also had a couple fans who visited that I thought were good. Not many decent PU posters and they've been so overrrun here by PU trolls, I could do without the entire lot.

Cliff foul trouble didn't impact Mag. They don't play the same position. If Cliff picks up early fouls it will be Reiber or Wolf again just like last game

And speaking of this, let me say I think our coach has grown considerably over the course of the year and a half he’s been here. I thought he struggled as a college coach and wasn’t sure he’d be able to make the transition, but his game plan for Purdue, offensively and defensively, was spot on. IU doesn’t win this game last year since this Purdue team is much better than last years. Also, I’m seeing real player development from some the young guys.

Woodson just might work out, after all.

Reactions: bawlmer
Cliff foul trouble didn't impact Mag. They don't play the same position. If Cliff picks up early fouls it will be Reiber or Wolf again just like last game

In that game, Mag was a key to doubling TJD, especially when Omoruyi went to the bench.

Take your top defender and your top ball handler out

Take your fourth best starter and Sr glue guy out for four games then put him back at 70%

Take your top freshman starter and likely BTFOTY out for two games

Take your backup big man out for five games

You might not be meeting preseason expectations either.

Oh...and "lovely blonde"?....at PU?

So you are THE one.
IU can do better than excuses and insults. Remember RMK? He came strong.

Reactions: ulrey
Without Mag I would definitely pair one of those guys with TJD against us. Another player that can post up will force RU into undesirable rotations.

That’s because everyone has left Rivals. The main IU website/board is 247.
The RU Rivals board has been active for a long time - and has remained so after the then-board-owner left to 247 and took the old "ScarletNation" name with him (it's now "The Knight Report"). They tried to get a free board going on 247, but it never really got traction.

Reactions: Scangg
The RU Rivals board has been active for a long time - and has remained so after the then-board-owner left to 247 and took the old "ScarletNation" name with him (it's now "The Knight Report"). They tried to get a free board going on 247, but it never really got traction.
Comparing the views and replies to the posts on the front page of TKR’s basketball board to the basketball board on Peegs, it’s night and day different.

looking at moving up in b10 tonight… title in sight?..tjd fire on all cylinders….. boom combust this team in the standings lol . gbr

Comparing the views and replies to the posts on the front page of TKR’s basketball board to the basketball board on Peegs, it’s night and day different.
Yeah, throughout the year, the basketball board generally has a lot less traffic than the free football board - which is also the general all-around community and off-season off-topic board. But that traffic has also dipped since football has not been very good lately.

They are tough. We out toughed them tonight though. And we didn’t have to play dirty like some of their players did to do it.
Could have done without that attempted trip by Mulachy but you knew this game was going to be a rock fight. We’ll see if the league takes a look at it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT