ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers IU

I had heard Johnson was getting in some practice reps - any chance he's back in the lineup at all tomorrow night?

I'm expecting a battle. Mag was a big part of the defensive plan against TJD last time, and he's out - and we'll have to find a way to contain Hood-Schifino this time, too.

Reactions: Scangg
I had heard Johnson was getting in some practice reps - any chance he's back in the lineup at all tomorrow night?

I'm expecting a battle. Mag was a big part of the defensive plan against TJD last time, and he's out - and we'll have to find a way to contain Hood-Schifino this time, too.
My goal for X is to return for the final two home games to close out the season, and hopefully 2 games in the B1G tourney.. 6man for Ncaa's (hopefully)

All do respect. And I hope for the best. Why would you make a joke about a close family member, especially right now with what you're going through? They're a troll. We get it. But if it's reversed....
Thanks Dad. People joke about “Mom” all the time. Matter of fact when coworkers say @your Mom” I call mine on speaker. She’s 75 and gets a good laugh. My wife likes a good Mom joke too. Also notice it was said in a question format. Lighten up.

Last edited:
If the Hoosiers can keep up their hot shooting no reason not to think this could be another comfortable home win. I say that not as any disrespect to Rutgers, they're extremely well-coached and play great team defense, rather I just don't think they have the offensive fire power if this game is played in the 70's. This is a game Rutgers wants to play in the 50's if possible and they will if we let them. Need to make shots and speed them up on offense.
Pretty much this. We (Rutgers) are 8-0 in conference games (and 16-1 overall) when we hold teams to under 65 points, and 0-4 when we allow 65 or more points.

McConnell gets all the headlines as the returning DOPY in the conference, but Mag has been just as good defensively this year. And he's been scoring more lately too. It's a really big loss for the Scarlet Knights, and the fact that this will be our first game without him will make it even more difficult, as we won't have had any games to really acclimate to his absence (like you have with X).

But there's no excuses. You were without JHS in our game in December, and we're without Mag tomorrow night. I would have given Rutgers a decent chance of winning if Mag was in the lineup, but I think his absence basically makes it impossible for us to win the game -- short of Cam Spencer and Aundre Hyatt going off from deep (which is highly unlikely).

Reactions: .Gerdis and kkott
Pretty much this. We (Rutgers) are 8-0 in conference games (and 16-1 overall) when we hold teams to under 65 points, and 0-4 when we allow 65 or more points.

McConnell gets all the headlines as the returning DOPY in the conference, but Mag has been just as good defensively this year. And he's been scoring more lately too. It's a really big loss for the Scarlet Knights, and the fact that this will be our first game without him will make it even more difficult, as we won't have had any games to really acclimate to his absence (like you have with X).

But there's no excuses. You were without JHS in our game in December, and we're without Mag tomorrow night. I would have given Rutgers a decent chance of winning if Mag was in the lineup, but I think his absence basically makes it impossible for us to win the game -- short of Cam Spencer and Aundre Hyatt going off from deep (which is highly unlikely).
The 60 points score is pretty much what most teams strive for defensively. Gives most teams a shot at winning.

Posted this in the line thread but more appropriate here...

Mag being out is a HUGE loss for RU. It's arguable that he has been a better defender than Caleb, the reigning DPOY, this season. He is a key to Rutgers pressing and doubling of TJD last game which was very effective. Mag's offense was recently coming on strong as a low volume high effiency scorer who finishes around the rim well which RU struggles with

Rutgers fans hoping for an emotional let down spot after a huge win over #1 hated in state rival and Rutgers with an emotionally rally game missing a key starter

Have to imagine Indiana is fired up to finally beat Rutgers after 6 losses in a row and 8 of 9. TJD doesn't want to go his entire career without beating RU. It would seem that this game they get it done

Rutgers matches up well bc Indiana scores mainly from 2 and Rutgers is very good defending inside

Did IU just peak against Purdue though?

Also of note, no X in this game but he played first time

Cliff was in major foul trouble and played limited minutes for RU sitting out the majority of the first half

Possible that Indiana, tired of being "punked" by Rutgers, comes out too aggressive and leads to early foul trouble

Also of note, no X in this game but he played first time

Cliff was in major foul trouble and played limited minutes for RU sitting out the majority of the first half

Possible that Indiana, tired of being "punked" by Rutgers, comes out too aggressive and leads to early foul trouble
Wow. Look at Rutgers last 6 games of the conference season. LOL what a joke.

If Cliff is in foul trouble early, TJD will eat Reiner and Wolf alive the way he has been playing lately

Wow. Look at Rutgers last 6 games of the conference season. LOL what a joke.
Rutgers had the easiest remaining schedule as of a couple games ago I saw written. This MSU @Indiana @Illinois stretch is the gauntlet of the remaining schedule

We played the toughest early season with Purdue Indiana Iowa twice MSU twice Maryland Northwestern and are in 2nd place despite the OSU ref screw job that the league issued a public apology for

We’re not a home dog; we’re a four point favorite. It was mentioned above, but our outing after knocking off Purdue against Michigan was a disaster.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
IU has 3 integral players, TJD, Race, Malik, who basically have a shooting range of 2 feet from the basket.

add JG, and that's 4. JG can hit a three, but 2 feet is still his primary scoring zone..

thus teams with a rim protector or two can too easily negate much of our scoring potential, clog the lane as well, and free the other defenders to defend the 3 point line.

JHS, Trey, and Scoop need to score from 3 and the mid game, and TJD needs to be better at finishing at the rim against guys who can get up just as high or higher than he at the basket.

TJD is now over 70% on free throws for the yr.

if he could translate that into just 55% from the field from 10-15 ft, that would add whole nother dimension for TJD, and unclog under the basket for the rest of the team.

I think Rutgers has IU's attention and then some, at this point. IU will be ready for the game tonight. We haven't struggled against Rutgers recently though because we've over looked them. Its just a very tough matchup.

Maryland used their relative length and intensity to really, really bother our perimeter players defensively. Rutgers is even better than Maryland in that regard.

I think tonight's game is more difficult than Saturday's was...by a lot. We don't handle intense perimeter ball pressure well.

I hope we rise to the occasion, and play well tonight because we're in The Hall. But I definitely don't like the matchup, at all.

How has Hood-Schifino handled defensive pressure so far this year? This will be the first time he plays Rutgers, even though we won't have Mag's usually trapping in the backcourt and at the timeline.

Not sure how much backcourt pressure Pike will use tonight with Mag out of the lineup. Hyatt doesn't bring close to what Mag does defensively, and Simpson is a different kind/size of player. If we see Palmquist in the lineup, he's also not a defensive stalwart.

Reactions: Scangg
How has Hood-Schifino handled defensive pressure so far this year? This will be the first time he plays Rutgers, even though we won't have Mag's usually trapping in the backcourt and at the timeline.

Not sure how much backcourt pressure Pike will use tonight with Mag out of the lineup. Hyatt doesn't bring close to what Mag does defensively, and Simpson is a different kind/size of player. If we see Palmquist in the lineup, he's also not a defensive stalwart.
Has had his ups and downs as you would expect from a freshman, regardless of the potential, but it's night and day when he plays at home vs on the road. Rutgers does have two big and physical bodies they can throw at him in Mulachy and McConnell and I expect they will get the best of him at times.

6:30 is a tough time for students and working alumni.

Lots of kids have classes until 8 or 9 these days.

Has had his ups and downs as you would expect from a freshman, regardless of the potential, but it's night and day when he plays at home vs on the road. Rutgers does have two big and physical bodies they can throw at him in Mulachy and McConnell and I expect they will get the best of him at times.
This is the key to the game, in my opinion. If JHS, Trey, Tamar, etc... can handle the pressure, get the ball cleanly to TJD, make shots and plays...we'll beat Rutgers handily. Wary, but hopeful, that will happen tonight.

How is JHS on defense? Freshman on the experienced, large, and crafty Mulcahy could be a tough task for him tonight

How is JHS on defense? Freshman on the experienced, large, and crafty Mulcahy could be a tough task for him tonight
He's adequate for a freshman but not a shut down defender by any means although he made life tough for the smaller Braden Smith Saturday. Hood-Schifino is good for a dumb foul or two a game and is prone to getting in unnecessary foul trouble. I wouldn't be surprised to see Galloway guard Mulachy for long stretches.

IU has trouble maintaining intensity level game to game and especially after a big win, which concerns me regarding tonight’s matchup. Hopefully, they have turned the corner on this and exact retribution on RU. That said, I’m expecting IU to win in a close one with some ugly stretches of play.

Reactions: IUgradman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT