ADVERTISEMENT

RIP David Bowie........

original

McHoop

Flippin love Bowie. I was 23 living in Brooklyn and my cousin came home with Hunky Dory and I specifically remember saying I'm not listening to that. He tried to persuade me and just put in for background music. It took about 3 days for me to find it's brilliance. Then I went into a 2 year Bowie binge trying to hear and learn everything he ever did.

Sad day. Tonight I will try to learn Soul Love.

Believe me, I usually don't blink when a musician/celeb dies, but the passing of Bowie really has me shaken up. I just want to talk Bowie all day but I work with a bunch of idiots so it's to the AOTF ...

- My dad surprised me with guitar lessons once. I met the instructor and we sit down to talk, and he asks me who I liked and what my influences were and the first thing I said was that I was going through a huge Bowie phase and that I really liked Mick Ronson's sound. He rolled his eyes. That was my first and last guitar lesson.

- Bowie was like the security blanket you needed to battle every hipster or the people in the world that always judge your music. I could always walk into a room and feel safe because I knew and got David Bowie.

- When asked what do you listen to or what bands do you like, I instantly think, 'Bowie', even if I hadn't heard him in years. Still today.

Hearing Black Country Rock and thinking that's probably the most bad ass guitar riff ever.

Hearing the beginning of Moonage Daydream and wanting my guitar to sound just like that. For everything.

Shitting myself when Kurt played a Bowie cover while watching the unplugged show. Thinking, yep, me and Kurt would get along.

Believe me, I usually don't blink when a musician/celeb dies, but the passing of Bowie really has me shaken up. I just want to talk Bowie all day but I work with a bunch of idiots so it's to the AOTF ...

- My dad surprised me with guitar lessons once. I met the instructor and we sit down to talk, and he asks me who I liked and what my influences were and the first thing I said was that I was going through a huge Bowie phase and that I really liked Mick Ronson's sound. He rolled his eyes. That was my first and last guitar lesson.

- Bowie was like the security blanket you needed to battle every hipster or the people in the world that always judge your music. I could always walk into a room and feel safe because I knew and got David Bowie.

- When asked what do you listen to or what bands do you like, I instantly think, 'Bowie', even if I hadn't heard him in years. Still today.
That's a helluva post. Very well said. I might have been a little surprised by the deaths of other rock icons throughout my life (Cobain, SRV, etc) but in some ways I expected many of those guys to die because they were addicts, lived the rock n roll lifestyle, etc. This really takes me back to how shocked I was when Lennon died.

When Bowie was recording Pin Ups in '73,he met Springsteen and fell in love with "Greetings". As result,he covered both "Growing Up",and later "Hard to be a Saint in the City".The amazing thing is that despite being written before either Bruce or David even knew the other existed,both songs could have easily been written ABOUT Bowie.

The "cosmic kid in full costume dress"

And even though Bruce's "city" was NYC and Bowie's was London...

"I had skin like leather and the diamond-hard look of a cobra
I was born blue and weathered but I burst just like a supernova
I could walk like Brando right into the sunThen dance just like a Casanova
With my blackjack and jacket and hair slicked sweet
Silver star studs on my duds like a Harley in heat
When I strut down the street I could feel its heartbeat
The sisters fell back and said "Don't that man look pretty"
The cripple on the corner cried out "Nickels for your pity"
Them gasoline boys downtown sure talk grittyIt's so hard to be a saint in the city"

Reactions: hoosierdug

Ziggy Stardust and Hunky Dory will always be among my all-time favorite albums. This is one to make a sit and think for a while.

Bowie had a different sound and look that caused me to look a little deeper. He is memorable to me because of the variety of artists he worked with. You run across his work and forget he worked with other artists. The Little Drummer Boy with Bing Crosby was always a favorite Christmas song. It showed that his talent spanned generations and would have been successful regardless of when he lived.

Fought cancer for 18 months, saw it coming, went out with a combination of class and privacy. Really makes you look at his last album in a different light. Especially that video that just came out, what, Friday? Actually kind of spooky.

Fought cancer for 18 months, saw it coming, went out with a combination of class and privacy. Really makes you look at his last album in a different light. Especially that video that just came out, what, Friday? Actually kind of spooky.

Haven't heard it yet,but a lot of people are referencing the "Lazarus" cut.Meanwhile this is something I saw posted elsewhere...

As the world mourns Bowie's death, fan Dean Podsta put it best: "If you're ever sad, just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT