ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Chris Cornell

Couldn't Roger Ailes have died tomorrow? This is Chris's death day.

I'm in shock. Chris was one of a kind spanning 4 decades. Saw him at Pops in StL a few years back and was completely blown away by his live voice and musical abilities. Yes, smack dab out of the grunge movement but still so unique and then adding an even more modern sound with Audioslave as well as his individual work.

Hoping the suicide report I saw on twitter isn't true.
Unfortunately, it appears he hung himself in his hotel room after the show. Dealing with depression most of his life and I guess he decided it was no longer worth it. Kind of like Robin Williams a few years ago.

Depression is definitely a black hole that can be tough to climb out of. I've struggled with it myself over the years, but I finally allowed myself to be medicated. No meds don't fix the problems, but it does give you the extra little push out of bed to tackle the day. Not sure I ever want to go off them now.

If this sounds like any of you, know you've got someone on here you can always anonymously talk to.

As for Chris, I'm saddened he couldn't beat the drugs and depression. He lost the battle, maybe the rest of us won't have to....

Reactions: IUDynasty04
Marc Maron reposted his interview from 2014 on WTF with Chris Cornell. Listened to it yesterday. Great, great interview. Really drives home the point about depression and mental illness, that it isn't something that is always readily apparent. In listening to the interview, you are really left with the impression that Cornell was a very happy man that enjoyed sharing and discussing his experiences growing up and in music. It is an excellent impression to leave yourself with regarding Cornell.

This sucks. One of my favorite rock vocalists.

Soundgarden was in Indy just one week before Chris' death: it was my first Soundgarden show. They rocked hard and are still a very talented band: awesome show.

Chris looked fine from the outside at the show and had everything, but I guess that doesn't matter if your mind isn't right. Depression and alcohol don't mix well. Maybe it was auto-erotic asphyxiation, I dunno. Tough one to take, but I guess we all have to go sometime, even larger than life people like Chris that seem to be able to defy death.

Also re-listened to Cornell's WTF interview: solid interview.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm thinking it was an auto erotica deal and the cops or press are being nice.

Supposedly he was in really good spirits.

Micheal Hutchence and David Carradine probably have a beer ready for him.

Truly sucks though. He was a nice bridge from a heavy metal singer to grunge.

Favorite song was The Day I Tried to Live. This tune sounds like a Radiohead cover song.

Loved this solo tune of his with the line 'she's going to change the world but she can't change me'. It's very exotic sounding, minors with a lot of chromatic declines, a little bit of a Hotel California vibe, kindof. Great tune.

Soundgarden was in Indy just one week before Chris' death: it was my first Soundgarden show. They rocked hard and are still a very talented band: awesome show.

Chris looked fine from the outside at the show and had everything, but I guess that doesn't matter if your mind isn't right. Depression and alcohol don't mix well. Maybe it was auto-erotic asphyxiation, I dunno. Tough one to take, but I guess we all have to go sometime, even larger than life people like Chris that seem to be able to defy death.

Also re-listened to Cornell's WTF interview: solid interview.
I like Maron as well and listened to the Cornell interview. Will be interesting to hear Marc address it in the next ep.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT