ADVERTISEMENT

Remote work

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
Dell told workers to classify themselves as hybrid workers or remote. If hybrid, they have to work out of an office 40 days per quarter. If remote, they forfeit promotions and getting hired into other Dell jobs.

1/2 chose remote.

It was believed Dell did this to trim their workforce without paying any severance. Dell really only has one set of offices, in Austin. Others are too small or don't exist. I know people that moved back to Austin because it really was the only choice.

Half forgoing promotion is a lot. I suspect many will go elsewhere over time. Apple is having similar issues with workers. It appears workers are still demanding more flexibility.

Dell told workers to classify themselves as hybrid workers or remote. If hybrid, they have to work out of an office 40 days per quarter. If remote, they forfeit promotions and getting hired into other Dell jobs.

1/2 chose remote.

It was believed Dell did this to trim their workforce without paying any severance. Dell really only has one set of offices, in Austin. Others are too small or don't exist. I know people that moved back to Austin because it really was the only choice.

Half forgoing promotion is a lot. I suspect many will go elsewhere over time. Apple is having similar issues with workers. It appears workers are still demanding more flexibility.

I do not believe in remote work. My house and office are within walking distance. I don’t get shit done at home. At the office I’m uninterrupted and just the environment alone tricks my brain into working.

1/2 chose remote.

That's crazy. I guess if they moved away, I get it. Austin has become expensive to live in.

I think their offices, or maybe their manufacturing, used to be a little north in Round Rock which I'm guessing might be easier to get to if you live up there and cheaper.

I do not believe in remote work. My house and office are within walking distance. I don’t get shit done at home. At the office I’m uninterrupted and just the environment alone tricks my brain into working.

I do well at home. Any time lost in taking a minute to pet the dog is more than gained by not having everyone pop in at some point and ask what I did last night/will do this night.

Eliminate Zoom to end stupid meetings. In the million meetings I sit through, maybe 2 could not have been an email or a post on the chat board.

I do well at home. Any time lost in taking a minute to pet the dog is more than gained by not having everyone pop in at some point and ask what I did last night/will do this night.

Eliminate Zoom to end stupid meetings. In the million meetings I sit through, maybe 2 could not have been an email or a post on the chat board.
I believe you’re an anomaly and nothing will convince me otherwise re remote work. I’m cool with 1099 shit but I will never pay an employee to work remotely

That's crazy. I guess if they moved away, I get it. Austin has become expensive to live in.

I think their offices, or maybe their manufacturing, used to be a little north in Round Rock which I'm guessing might be easier to get to if you live up there and cheaper.
They had offices in some of the big cities, but closed them when they ordered everyone home.

I find leaving work & coming home, changing clothes to be cathartic. I work from home occasionally but prefer to be in the office. People that say they get more done at home are full of it.😆

I find leaving work & coming home, changing clothes to be cathartic. I work from home occasionally but prefer to be in the office. People that say they get more done at home are full of it.😆
Yeah I’m with you. I know there are exceptions as I do believe Marv but generally no.

Amish. That ethic doesn’t translate.
You probably heard about Wells Fargo firing several remote workers. WF had a program to track mouse and keyboard activity. These people installed the mouse jiggler program.

I have not heard how WF found it, but assuming those are corporate machines a program can be pushed out that will report everything installed. It may have been that, or AI may have cracked patterns.

Somehow in this discussion travel time and the agony of traffic to work got lost.

MM66, you get the award for living and working in the same area. Normally would add playing. However, as a big time player would expect you to have no bounds :).

Somehow in this discussion travel time and the agony of traffic to work got lost.

MM66, you get the award for living and working in the same area. Normally would add playing. However, as a big time player would expect you to have no bounds :).
Shoot hoot we’re bottom feeders. But walking to work is a blessing. And a Starbucks halfway between to boot. But I’ve had my share of miserable commutes

Last edited:
Reactions: hoot1 and larsIU
Not surprised. Tough environment for a cocksman. When you’ve got money and chicks dig you spending a weekend putting up a barn seems like a tough sell
Some sunday night I need to set you up to go to an “Amish Crowd” party. When the kegs are cracked and the rock music starts head for the cornfield. You may never want “English Cooter” again. 😂

I know I do not have the will power to get what would need to be accomplished at home. I’d work for a few minutes, then clean out a closet, then work and turn on the tv, then work and call a friend. I would miss the social aspect of working with other people too. I get why it works for some, but absolutely would not for me.

I know I do not have the will power to get what would need to be accomplished at home. I’d work for a few minutes, then clean out a closet, then work and turn on the tv, then work and call a friend. I would miss the social aspect of working with other people too. I get why it works for some, but absolutely would not for me.
Co-sign. Exactly

I've always worked in and around *things*. Sure, I could (and did) handle a lot of stuff virtually and remotely from home, but I never could have done the job completely online or over the phone.

Reactions: larsIU
I think you don't believe, because of your home/ office proximity. It can be very affective (right usage??) in some rolls. Like my first 9 yrs, which coincidentally ended as covid was released. I'm Indiana, office is in Tucson. I was very active and bought in (since Im not sure if I was affective or effective) until covid. I've given 10% ever since, and I am ashamed.
I can only get away with 10% effort, because covid allowed me to understand how I was mostly financial secure for what my lifestyle is. I think (many) people now, have figured out they can happily get by, without the fight to climb the ladder.
I do totally agree though, going into the office changes the mindset. I'm proof that the remote thing, will (already has as to the OP) hose up our entire productivity as a country. It will, eventually, cause many mental health issues. We need to keep our hands busy and we need to feel/ see personal accomplishment.

Same. I work remotely and have a four day work week. I have a better work setup at home and I’m way more productive, while also taking more walks, eating better, and getting my laundry done.

I’d need a decent pay bump to take another job because I have so much flexibility with my schedule.

I sometimes miss being in the office but my on campus desk is kind of away from everyone so not really worth the trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Not surprised. Tough environment for a cocksman. When you’ve got money and chicks dig you spending a weekend putting up a barn seems like a tough sell
on contraire (HTF you spell that?) The chicks with eventually PRAY to just go build a barn !!!! D'ems the debil !!

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I think you don't believe, because of your home/ office proximity. It can be very affective (right usage??) in some rolls. Like my first 9 yrs, which coincidentally ended as covid was released. I'm Indiana, office is in Tucson. I was very active and bought in (since Im not sure if I was affective or effective) until covid. I've given 10% ever since, and I am ashamed.
I can only get away with 10% effort, because covid allowed me to understand how I was mostly financial secure for what my lifestyle is. I think (many) people now, have figured out they can happily get by, without the fight to climb the ladder.
I do totally agree though, going into the office changes the mindset. I'm proof that the remote thing, will (already has as to the OP) hose up our entire productivity as a country. It will, eventually, cause many mental health issues. We need to keep our hands busy and we need to feel/ see personal accomplishment.
*effective

Also, *roles

Crap, totally over looked rolls/ roles, I was stressed over the other.

Effective on the first one or second? effective on one and not the other, or both, or neither?
If you're talking about how good of a job you did, it's effective, every time. If you are talking about how you caused your coworkers to have very strong emotional responses, it's affective.

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
My superpower is multitasking
arggggh the most evil thing in the world today. Doing other shit while in a meeting.
"Lars, do you have any comments on this""?
"uuuuuuuum, can you rephrase the last 15 minutes"?
Sudden WWE moment when nerds throw down. 6:1

Reactions: larsIU
If you're talking about how good of a job you did, it's effective, every time. If you are talking about how you caused your coworkers to have very strong emotional responses, it's affective.
AHHHH .... Ok I need to use affective much more now. Their a bunch of pussies anyway.. :)

***** They're..... You make me better GOAT.

I did hybrid work for fifteen years, the last two I was fully remote. Granted not every job or person is suitable for remote work; fortunately I was a software developer with the ability to focus. When my wife left for work my day started and ended when she got home, my employer(s) got many more hours of work than if I was at my desk. I had coworkers that weren't allowed to go remote (justifiably), one guy was told he wasn't dialed in enough in the office. Ouch!

Reactions: mcmurtry66
You probably heard about Wells Fargo firing several remote workers. WF had a program to track mouse and keyboard activity. These people installed the mouse jiggler program.

I have not heard how WF found it, but assuming those are corporate machines a program can be pushed out that will report everything installed. It may have been that, or AI may have cracked patterns.

I was an IT Manager. We knew about every program or app installed on your system. We'd know the minute you installed such a thing. (Or tried. We blocked quite a lot of activity.) You aren't keeping any secrets from us, or getting over on anyone. If you got away with it, it's because we let you.

Back on topic, I was terrible at working at home. My wife is great at it. My anecdotal observations were that maybe 25% of the people were effective at it, and 75% were less effective than if they'd dragged their ass to the office. Most people who were hired as remote workers from the outset didn't last. Again, only my personal observations from the company I worked for.

I was an IT Manager. We knew about every program or app installed on your system. We'd know the minute you installed such a thing. (Or tried. We blocked quite a lot of activity.) You aren't keeping any secrets from us, or getting over on anyone. If you got away with it, it's because we let you.

Back on topic, I was terrible at working at home. My wife is great at it. My anecdotal observations were that maybe 25% of the people were effective at it, and 75% were less effective than if they'd dragged their ass to the office. Most people who were hired as remote workers from the outset didn't last. Again, only my personal observations from the company I worked for.
Could you track all my website visits, even if on incognito mode????

No No No GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Could you track all my website visits, even if on incognito mode????

No No No GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Of course. All of your traffic from any corporate device (tablet, phone, laptop, etc), even if you were remote, passed through something called Cisco Umbrella. Your lame attempt at incognito mode only keeps your local browser from keeping a history. We saw your attempts to go to orphanbbwmilfs.com. In fact, we'd get daily email reports showing a list of every adult site that anyone went to, or tried to go to. And that included your personal phone if you were dumb enough to attach to the company wifi. By the way, some of you are freaks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT