ADVERTISEMENT

Examining Labor (Is it time for a new work week?)

IUCrazy2

Hall of Famer
Mar 7, 2004

This article interested me in that it was a creative way for a fast food operation to maintain operations while also providing its workforce with flexibility. With the 3 13 hour shifts, the workers are basically full time while having 4 days available to them through the week to do other things. (Go to college, maintain a home, get a second job, relax, etc.) This cuts down on commuting for the employees which should reduce the costs associated with that as well.

We are fairly tied to the 40 hour, 5 day, 8 hour a day (or more) work week in the U.S. The 4 10 hour days is another popular work schedule. Is it time for employers to start examining their approach to labor in the U.S.?

This article interested me in that it was a creative way for a fast food operation to maintain operations while also providing its workforce with flexibility. With the 3 13 hour shifts, the workers are basically full time while having 4 days available to them through the week to do other things. (Go to college, maintain a home, get a second job, relax, etc.) This cuts down on commuting for the employees which should reduce the costs associated with that as well.

We are fairly tied to the 40 hour, 5 day, 8 hour a day (or more) work week in the U.S. The 4 10 hour days is another popular work schedule. Is it time for employers to start examining their approach to labor in the U.S.?
My sister is a traveling/contract nurse. Works 3 nights @ 12hrs one week and the next goes 4 @12 hours plus add'l shifts but only if she wants them. She has to travel about 100 miles away for this and spends the night up there. It's rough b/c she has kids but their dad has reverted to handyman/stay at home dad (she makes WAYYY more than he does and has the insurance, etc).

She didn't like it at first but love it now b/c if they want to go away for a couple days in the middle of the week they can do it without worrying about PTO, etc. The BIL does a lot of his work while she's home.

I think COVID should make us rethink how we work but I don't think it will. Most employers are going to start nursing everybody back to the office and the 50 hr grind (honestly who works a job making more than 50k a year that isn't 50 hrs).

I think all of these experiments are interesting. Here, I’d think 13 hours on your feet in the busy environment of a Chic-Fil-A would be a grind. But I do agree that 4 days off would be sweet.

More interesting to me are the experiments abroad using 4x8 as the work week. I think moving south of the 40 hour mark is where people really want to be.

My sister is a traveling/contract nurse. Works 3 nights @ 12hrs one week and the next goes 4 @12 hours plus add'l shifts but only if she wants them. She has to travel about 100 miles away for this and spends the night up there. It's rough b/c she has kids but their dad has reverted to handyman/stay at home dad (she makes WAYYY more than he does and has the insurance, etc).

She didn't like it at first but love it now b/c if they want to go away for a couple days in the middle of the week they can do it without worrying about PTO, etc. The BIL does a lot of his work while she's home.

I think COVID should make us rethink how we work but I don't think it will. Most employers are going to start nursing everybody back to the office and the 50 hr grind (honestly who works a job making more than 50k a year that isn't 50 hrs).

obligatory

I think all of these experiments are interesting. Here, I’d think 13 hours on your feet in the busy environment of a Chic-Fil-A would be a grind. But I do agree that 4 days off would be sweet.

More interesting to me are the experiments abroad using 4x8 as the work week. I think moving south of the 40 hour mark is where people really want to be.
The question will eventually devolve into what is the minimum salary legally required for this new schedule?

I think most businesses can adapt as they see fit. But it depends on the nature of the job. For many, as an employer, I’d rather have someone work 5 hrs a day every day (I know: no one wants to do this) rather then 5 x 8. I find people in an office doing admin or legal type work aren’t very productive at the end of the day anyway.

Reactions: larsIU

Wow I’d love that. Fireman here work 9 days a month. Sleep at the station. Like a frat house. Bbq. Cards. Hoops in the back. Big tvs. F’n hose draggers got it good. Many have a second career. Some just have 3 weeks off a month

Lots of people....
I wouldn't call them productive

If you work less than 50, hat tip.

Edit: I've learned the old adage is true....20% of the workforce does 80% of the work

Last edited:
Wow I’d love that. Fireman here work 9 days a month. Sleep at the station. Like a frat house. Bbq. Cards. Hoops in the back. Big tvs. F’n hose draggers got it good. Many have a second career. Some just have 3 weeks off a month
And 24 hrs of over time every 3rd month.. Great work if you can get it.

Edit: I've learned the old adage is true....20% of the workforce does 80% of the work

Productive is not based upon hours worked..... that's the long standing problem with the idea of 'work'

That said, a lot of white collar/ office jobs are lumpy.... with busy times and down times.

I think many jobs could easily be completed in 30 hrs/wk.... if you cut out all the bullshit and time filling junk.

Productive is not based upon hours worked..... that's the long standing problem with the idea of 'work'

That said, a lot of white collar/ office jobs are lumpy.... with busy times and down times.
In case you hadn't noticed, you can't hire anybody anymore (even zero degree claims adjusters) for less than 50k a year now.

I know productive isn't based on hours worked, it's based on results. But not all of the people we hire are, um, smart. They require 50+ to keep up with the ones that are smart enough to get the result in 35 hours a week.

We should be teaching time management as a basic life skill in HS these days.

traveling nurses? I've got friends who are doing it and are making more money than they ever could have imagined, some of their husbands have quit their jobs just to go with them because the pay is so good. yet the local hospitals are doing the same thing paying traveling nurse crazy wages because they are short staffed. wouldn't it make more sense for the hospitals to pay the locals more and everyone stay put

wouldn't it make more sense for the hospitals to pay the locals more and everyone stay put
The more I hear about nursing from my sister (especially the last 10 years) the more I realize how f*cked up that profession is. What a strange labor market.

traveling nurses? I've got friends who are doing it and are making more money than they ever could have imagined, some of their husbands have quit their jobs just to go with them because the pay is so good. yet the local hospitals are doing the same thing paying traveling nurse crazy wages because they are short staffed. wouldn't it make more sense for the hospitals to pay the locals more and everyone stay put
My wife is a nurse and I've been trying to get her to do this for years. I'm lucky if she works 20 hours a week.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Lot of hot traveling nurses. Not something you’d want to be married to.

In case you hadn't noticed, you can't hire anybody anymore (even zero degree claims adjusters) for less than 50k a year now.

I know productive isn't based on hours worked, it's based on results. But not all of the people we hire are, um, smart. They require 50+ to keep up with the ones that are smart enough to get the result in 35 hours a week.

We should be teaching time management as a basic life skill in HS these days.

As someone who's been trying to get my team fully staffed for the last year+, I know well the challenge. I just hired for my last vacancy this past week, so we are hopefully in a good place for now.

Reactions: larsIU
Sir, you should NOT complain about your wife working a professional job for 20 hours a week. My wife hasn’t made shit for 16 years.
Obligatory Carnal Knowledge clip. If you want to get to the good part of the rant, go to 2:30. If you want to watch Ann Margaret for 4 minutes in a wonderful black bra, watch the whole thing:

Our school recently told offices to promote four-day (10 hrs/day) and 9/80 schedules (work 9 days every two weeks with one day off), as well as hybrid (remote/in-office) work. This is only applicable to offices and departments that have that flexibility though. I work a fully remote four-day schedule but I'm considering a switch to a 9/80.

Overall, I think a 30-32 hour work week is enough and should be the new norm. There are times of the year when 50+ hours are necessary and most employees have the same expectation.

Ran across this today.....and seemed applicable to your comments.

Makes $140k and has basically no work to do.

I have a good friend who does IT product support for large cap tech firm.... makes over $100k, and says he actually works about 10-15 hours a week (at home). Rest is just downtime/ waiting.

Ran across this today.....and seemed applicable to your comments.

Makes $140k and has basically no work to do.

I have a good friend who does IT product support for large cap tech firm.... makes over $100k, and says he actually works about 10-15 hours a week (at home). Rest is just downtime/ waiting.
I'm in a flurry of activity followed by long stretches of routine bullshit kinda job. I don't much mind the routine bullshit, I figured out how to minimize to the extent I can. But there are people in the org who have a certain gravitational pull which can suck you into doing a whole bunch of unnecessary and time consuming work. So I have to stay on my toes.

I'm in a flurry of activity followed by long stretches of routine bullshit kinda job. I don't much mind the routine bullshit, I figured out how to minimize to the extent I can. But there are people in the org who have a certain gravitational pull which can suck you into doing a whole bunch of unnecessary and time consuming work. So I have to stay on my toes.

For me it's the meetings.... such a time suck. 2 or 3 of them most days.... often close to an hour long each.. most mainly pointless.

Reactions: Spartans9312
For me it's the meetings.... such a time suck. 2 or 3 of them most days.... often close to an hour long each.. most mainly pointless.
I just finished number 7. Roughly 4 hours today on calls. I paid attention 1/4 the time. Pointless

I literally had a meeting today about meeting next month. That was it. To advise we were meeting next month. No discussion around the topic of this meeting. That will come next month, when we have the meeting we're meeting about now.

I just finished number 7. Roughly 4 hours today on calls. I paid attention 1/4 the time. Pointless

I literally had a meeting today about meeting next month. That was it. To advise we were meeting next month. No discussion around the topic of this meeting. That will come next month, when we have the meeting we're meeting about now.
Honestly, Office Space was so much more accurate than people want to admit.

I wonder if any companies, as part of job performance, look at how many meetings a person requested/scheduled/callled for (docking them for doing so too often)?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT