ADVERTISEMENT

Reggae...

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
On a serious Reggae jag at the moment. Started with a couple "Best of" and top 100 Reggae song play lists on Spotify and building from there. I'm enjoying hearing stuff other than Bob Marley, Jimmy Cliff, UB40, Peter Tosh, etc... Curious if you have recommendations for songs or bands to check out. Think Bowl for Two (The Expendables) and some of the crossover rap/reggae songs are favorites I've discovered. Whatcha got?

On a serious Reggae jag at the moment. Started with a couple "Best of" and top 100 Reggae song play lists on Spotify and building from there. I'm enjoying hearing stuff other than Bob Marley, Jimmy Cliff, UB40, Peter Tosh, etc... Curious if you have recommendations for songs or bands to check out. Think Bowl for Two (The Expendables) and some of the crossover rap/reggae songs are favorites I've discovered. Whatcha got?

Jacob Miller and Toots and the Maytals are a good place to start

Reactions: kkott
We listened to a ton of reggae in high school. My buddy has a radio show up in South Bend at ND called Reggae Street Radio and has been doing it for 40 years. Every Saturday Night https://reggaestreetradio.com/

Based on your video I would say Slightly Stoopid, Iration, The Dirty Heads (saw them live with 311 before covid), and my buddy turned me on to Pepper years ago when he lived in Hawaii and they were just getting started. Prince Fatty is cool

BTW saw Peter Tosh with the Stones in Chicago at Soldier Field. That was awesome.

The old school stuff we listened too...Heres a few:
Augustus Pablo
Mikey Dread (He also produced a bunch of Clash stuff)
U-Roy
Linton Kwesi Johnson
Black Uhuru
Eek a Mouse
Yellowman

I could go on I have some awesome Spotify reggae/dub playlists.

We listened to a ton of reggae in high school. My buddy has a radio show up in South Bend at ND called Reggae Street Radio and has been doing it for 40 years. Every Saturday Night https://reggaestreetradio.com/

Based on your video I would say Slightly Stoopid, Iration, The Dirty Heads (saw them live with 311 before covid), and my buddy turned me on to Pepper years ago when he lived in Hawaii and they were just getting started. Prince Fatty is cool

BTW saw Peter Tosh with the Stones in Chicago at Soldier Field. That was awesome.

Augustus Pablo
U-Roy
Linton Kwesi Johnson
Black Uhuru
Eek a Mouse
Yellowman

there we go, thank you! I'd given up on this thread! Think I have at least some of SS, Iration and Dirty Heads on my play list but will check out Pepper and some of the old school stuff mentioned and your friends broadcast if I can.

Reactions: Indianaftw

Augustus Pablo
U-Roy
Linton Kwesi Johnson
Black Uhuru
Eek a Mouse
Yellowman

South Bend used to have a ReggaeFest but i think it disbanded a few years ago. I saw Yelloman, The Original Wailers, Pato Banton and a few other i've forgotten over several years of attendance. The organizer (who i think is your friend who does the radio show), John Pangani is a really cool guy and i wish the festival was still going strong. I reached out to him and he sent me a bunch of photos from the Yellowman show--some of which had me, my other brother and my wife in the crowd. I went for the music and the authentic jerk chicken. ha. It was such a cool event....

Other old school favorites: Dennis Brown, Burning Spear, Gregory Issacs, Lee Perry Bunny Wailer's solo stuff, Buju Banton, anything produced by Sly and Robbie, Junior Murvin....

I saw Jimmy Cliff here a few years back... the mofo must have been on red bull or something... he was still energetic at like 11pm when I was starting to shut down after 8hrs of classic music fest here -- and the feckin' heat.

South Bend used to have a ReggaeFest but i think it disbanded a few years ago. I saw Yelloman, The Original Wailers, Pato Banton and a few other i've forgotten over several years of attendance. The organizer (who i think is your friend who does the radio show), John Pangani is a really cool guy and i wish the festival was still going strong. I reached out to him and he sent me a bunch of photos from the Yellowman show--some of which had me, my other brother and my wife in the crowd. I went for the music and the authentic jerk chicken. ha. It was such a cool event....

Other old school favorites: Dennis Brown, Burning Spear, Gregory Issacs, Lee Perry Bunny Wailer's solo stuff, Buju Banton, anything produced by Sly and Robbie, Junior Murvin....
Junior Murvin's Police Thieves will always be one of my all-time fav songs:

And Althea & Donna's Upton top ranking:

Cant be pot. Its illegal here, the cnuts.
It is surprising how long it's taking to make it legal everywhere. I thought once the dominoes starting falling, it would happen fast, at least throughout the states, if not worldwide. Especially lawmakers who talk about the dangers of mj and then run home to 3-4 martini's or scotch.

I need to ask David why they stopped doing it...I'm sure the food was epic. :)

I would buy the Chances Are album by Marley. It is really good to play straight thru.
I was in Costa Rica in the late '90s and they got me into Alpha Blondy

Reactions: kkott
Precisely.

I could argue that beer was their gateway drug then.
beer and alcohol are the gateway drug for almost everyone who ever "graduates" to more dangerous drugs; but they never count that. Nothing impairs judgement more. Had a huge argument with a woman I was dating who kept railing on the evils of MJ, but was drunk on about her 5th drink and drank almost daily. She took a cab home that night!

• Haha
Reactions: sglowrider

So I chatted with David...The non profit organization was spending too much and there was a lack of sponsor money The cost for the event is around 45-50K. That does not seem like a lot for several manufacturers around Elkhart. If they had a good marketing/sales manager this could get legs again.

Edit:
The event drew about 2000 people.

So I chatted with David...The non profit organization was spending too much and there was a lack of sponsor money The cost for the event is around 45-50K. That does not seem like a lot for several manufacturers around Elkhart. If they had a good marketing/sales manager this could get legs again.

Edit:
45-50K seems like a lot to me for a small festival if the event draws 2,000 people. Did you mean 20,000? Guess I'm just thinking about our business but to make any kind of profit everyone attending would need to spend $50.

45-50K seems like a lot to me for a small festival if the event draws 2,000 people. Did you mean 20,000? Guess I'm just thinking about our business but to make any kind of profit everyone attending would need to spend $50.
2000...My point is if you moved it to Niles which is a stones throw from SB

1. Pot is legal
2. If promoted properly this event could probably draw alot of people.
3. Raising 40-50 k near Elkhart should not be difficult. Thor prolly spends that in toiletries for 1 day.
4. You could get many food vendors.

IDK its got possibilities no?

2000...My point is if you moved it to Niles which is a stones throw from SB

1. Pot is legal
2. If promoted properly this event could probably draw alot of people.
3. Raising 40-50 k near Elkhart should not be difficult. Thor prolly spends that in toiletries for 1 day.
4. You could get many food vendors.

IDK its got possibilities no?
No idear, I'm just thinking of it in terms of my business and profit margins. I just wouldn't expect to pay $50 for a festival that draws 2,000 unless it had really great bands (and thinking if it did, it would draw more than 2,000). Eppy's probably the guy to ask with his background in the music biz; Eppy what say you?

Moving a reggae show to a location were rec mj is legal seems like a no-brainer for sure! Not to mention it should help food sales!

I thought ska was already extinct! what a joy to see him here! thank you dude!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you consider yourself a worthy person, tell me, does the personality change when a person grows up? I re-read all the essays on https://samploon.com/free-essays/personality/ and only after that I was able to understand and find answers to questions. Live and learn

Jacob Miller and Toots and the Maytals are a good place to start
Love the topic.

Reggae music is extremely diverse so it’s a matter of throwing a wide net over the different forms of reggae, seeing what you like the best, then narrowing it down.

I would not recommend seeking out artists, I would seek out compilations from either labels / producers , or styles.

if you can find it:

“Tougher than tough, the story of Jamaican music” is ideal as it’s a chronological retrospective (1958-1993), so it’s got ska, early reggae, rocksteady, roots, DJ, dance hall all in one place).

It’s mostly a matter of taste.

I’ll post some more YouTube stuff in a second. This will get you started. Studio 1. All classics

Last edited:

Edit:
Many years ago is was at the Need More Reggae Fest out in Brown County (Kneedmore IN?). That was a fun time. It was set up with camping. Very intimate, Toots was there. Lots of partying and people were oh so chill. Something about the combo of camping in rural brown county and a reggae crowd.

Reggae is like banjo music to me. Love the best of it, but can’t listen to a bunch in a row. 1-2, then I gotta bring in some other tuneage.

Ok, I’m sure this will be overkill, but…..

By far the best resource out there to learn about reggae is:

“Reggae The Rough Guide” (book) by Steve Barrow and Peter Dalton. The book has tons of music recommendations.

here, is a list of what they consider to be the essential 100 reggae albums.

please note: in the earlier post I made I recommended the four CD box set Tougher than Tough: The story of Jamaican music.” It’s a 95 song chronologically ordered compilation. It was compiled by one of the authors of the rough guide. It’s a reggae greatest hits. FYI, I see it on you tube, but not in a full album manner (each song is it’s own video).

Ive been listening to a ton of English Beat lately. All of it. Good summer happy music. The horns, the percussion, is so unique. The original I just can't stop it was mainly ska. Wha'happen and Special Beat Service I can't categorize in a genre. There are so many influences going on from Latin, Jamaican, African, beats and rather than guitar chords you get a ton of picking from mandolins, guitars, bass. Also marimba, steel drums, trumpets, sax, and saxa. Ranking Roger was an excellent lyricist as well. Dude brought a unique style of his own.

Last edited:
Another Ska classic:

vocals: the wailers
Band: the Skatalites
Produced by coxstone dodd

intro by the legendary DJ King Stitt

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT