ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting the G-League

Brockettman

Freshman
Mar 6, 2020
I post this somewhat tongue-in-cheek , but is that what is coming . Arizona had several players who were older , and had basically played pro ball in Europe . I know college basketball is all about money now , so teams are looking to HIRE players who can help them win ,so they can make more money . So why not look to the G-League at players who left college early , but wound up in the G - league . Offer them a NIL which is probably as good as what they make in the minors, and with much better living conditions . Some are really good players , but there are only so many openings in the NBA . Is this the future of major college sports , and so called student athletes . Maybe that is why I like going to local Trine University games , where they play for the love of the game , and are not looking for a path to The NBA , and money .

Last edited:
I post this somewhat tongue-in-cheek , but is that what is coming . Arizona had several players who were older , and had basically played pro ball in Europe . I know college basketball is all about money now , so teams are looking to HIRE players who can help them win ,so they can make more money . So why not look to the G-League at players who left college early , but wound up in the G - league . Offer them a NIL which is probably as good as what they make in the minors, and with much better living conditions . Some are really good players , but there are only so many openings in the NBA . Is this the future of major college sports , and so called student athletes . Maybe that is why I like going to local Trine University games , where they play for the love of the game , and are not looking for a path to The NBA , and money .
ummmmm... am I missing something or wouldn't G league status make them ineligible to go back for more college ball???

ummmmm... am I missing something or wouldn't G league status make them ineligible to go back for more college ball???
that's what I thought. Once you made yourself eligible for the draft, I thought your eligibility was done. I'm not even sure you can go back if you don't get drafted. I know that's happened, but I don't know that answer.

I said tongue -in-cheek when I wrote about the G - league , but legally paying players did not exist a few years ago . The NIL changed that . On the football board they were talking about McCoullgh wanting 300 thousand to stay . If you look at the way things have changed in just the last few years with the NCAA , it’s not much of a stretch to seeing that rule change . The NCAA tends to go where the wind blows them , or the money leads them .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT